Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial The cost of dialogue

Mr Happy

Scholar
I had to stop playing Mass Effect because it wouldn't let you skip the voiced dialog. I have shit to do, Bioware.

And codexes were voiced, which was distracting.

Morgoth said:
Cosmo said:
Problem with the biggest AAA productions, the ones that cater to the lowest common denominator, is not that they exist, but that they change everything around them.
And god thanks they do. It's called progress, son.

what evolution has there been in the action or rpg genre in the last ten years beyond the superficial? I guess firing from behind cover is new as far as I know but really

Lightknight

Liturgist
lip-synchronization and associated dialogue animations required an intense piece of work
Source engine is 8 years old. Why does everyone thinks that they need to reinvent the bicycle over and over ?

They're nearly never as good as Hollywood would do
Thats a rather low bar. If we're talking animation voice-overs - Hollywood will more often than not just invite someone with the name recognition, like Kiefer Sutherland, or somesuch.
Hollywood voice-overs are nearly never as good as Japanese would do.

sigma1932

Augur
Edwin said:
BG2 had the perfect amount of VA.1 line is enough for normal NPCs and full voice should be reserved for important/special characters only(Firkraag,Irenicus etc.)

These fully voiced games bore me to death....and needless to say that it has negative impact on the quality of dialouges and the amount of content too

thesoup said:
I like the Torment way of VA. Important NPCs and PCs have a couple of spoken lines here and there so whenever I would read, I would read it in their voices. I actually remember every important character as if all of his dialogue was voiced.

These two posts pretty much cover my opinion. I will add that people who like newer games that go play older games and end up disliking them rarely if ever even mention that they're not 100% VA'd.

I believe it's truly something that no one misses much if it's not there... unless the gameplay is ridiculously bad as well and their attention can wander to the VA being missing as well.

Morgoth said:
It's called progress

Yes it is, and it's not always a good thing. There are many examples of this in RL.

Regardless, specifically on topic, when "progress" consists of using money/resources for 100% cosmetic changes not only disallowing more gameplay features/depth to be added to the game, but is actually causing them/it to be removed, it's a bad thing.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
FUCKING VOICE ACTING!

It's not in Mario, but it's still MAJESTIC!

FUCKING VOICE ACTING!

It's not in Zelda, but it's still MAJESTIC!

FUCKING VOICE ACTING!

It's not in Final Fantasy Tactics, but it's still MAJESTIC!

FUCKING VOICE ACTING!

It's in Dragon Age 2, but it's still a PIECE OF SHIT!

Voice acting does not make a game.

My Name is

Novice
I wondering why would any dev thinks putting VA onto every single bland dialogue they can think of gives any value to the player whatsoever. Bonus points if they are so bad until it makes people cringe.

And its not like people working on the VA are doing it for free either, so why bother unless they really want that "FULLY VOICED!" line appearing on the box.

Stinger

Arcane
So what AAA games have managed to get away with minimal to no VA in the last few years (from memory I can only think of the Zeldas, Marios, Epic Mickey and other Wii games) and is there any reason they've managed to avoid that criticism when many RPGs suffer for it?

DraQ

Arcane
Stinger said:
So what AAA games have managed to get away with minimal to no VA in the last few years (from memory I can only think of the Zeldas, Marios, Epic Mickey and other Wii games) and is there any reason they've managed to avoid that criticism when many RPGs suffer for it?
STALKER series.

Oarfish

Prophet
Just do one set of VO in Russian and subtitle it. Foreign reviewers will then be less able to moan it if its shit, as it will be 'arty'.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Personally, I'd aim for recording the memorable lines from major plot characters. Plenty of voiced first line greetings followed by text can also be useful for easing retards into reading.

Yeah. The fuck happened to the way Fallout, Arcanum, Infinity Engine games and Morrowind handled voice acting? Give it to a few (or even many, depending on how much money and effort you want to spend on it) characters, preferably those of high plot importance or those with a personality that could benefit from VA and make those VAd characters AWESOME.

I don't give a fuck if every peasant is voiceacted. It's unnecessary overkill. Give VA to the important characters, heck, maybe even most characters if you feel it necessary, but give text boxes to generic chars like merchants or farmers, who don't have a developed personality anyway. It only leads to reduction of overall lines of dialogue in the game and doesn't contribute anything valuable. This way, you may even have every bum in the country explain his unique backstory to you, while those characters who are VAd also get more lines.

And you prevent the horrible "everyone sounds the same!" issue that modern "every sentence has VA!!!!" games have.

the only voice acting allowed in RPG's is "Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!! RrraaaAAGHGHH!!!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom