Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Castanova

Prophet
There is no advantage to the console version over the PC version except that it came out earlier. Has nothing to do with the PC master race. Stop livin' a lie.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
There is no advantage to the console version over the PC version except that it came out earlier. Has nothing to do with the PC master race. Stop livin' a lie.

There's no significant advantage to the PC version to make me want to deal with Drivers, Steam, Hackers (many more on PC), Gabe, and other PC-specific nonsense.

Not saying PC platform is bad. Just saying it's different.

praetor

Arcane
the community (at least on PS3) is also significantly bigger ;) (but if you don't care much about multiplayer, PC is definitely the way to go). i hope the Herrenvolk gets the promised better textures, 'cause they're really low res on consoles (the gf is playing DaS1 while i'm going through 2, and the difference in texture resolution is instantly obvious even at a glance)... and i hope the Meister also gets a "fancy effects" patch after the inevitable next-gen release with all the fancy shit from the previews up to a month ago (they're so obvious with this shit it hurts)

Kanedias

Savant
Remember I said I'd try Dark Fog without meeting the requirements of the Bat Staff?

It works. One-hit poison.

The lack of requirements does remove a bit of poison buildup from the staff, but at my 20 int it's only -5.

DragoFireheart

Remember I said I'd try Dark Fog without meeting the requirements of the Bat Staff?

It works. One-hit poison.

The lack of requirements does remove a bit of poison buildup from the staff, but at my 20 int it's only -5.

And the ticks are for 30 hp right?

:thumbsup::troll::bro::incline:

Kanedias

Savant
Indeed. This is so broken it's absolutely hilarious. I have just faced my archnemesis, the CMW Moonlight Greatsword, and I poisoned him in one hit, then walked at him with my shield raised and pressed r1 twice when he eventually tried to heal.

DragoFireheart

Indeed. This is so broken it's absolutely hilarious. I have just faced my archnemesis, the CMW Moonlight Greatsword, and I poisoned him in one hit, then walked at him with my shield raised and pressed r1 twice when he eventually tried to heal.

I was going to make a Cool-magic-weapon Moonlol GoodSword but I'm now inspired to stay as a Hexer. Thanks!

Castanova

Prophet

I was going to make a Cool-magic-weapon Moonlol GoodSword but I'm now inspired to stay as a Hexer. Thanks!

Good thing you you don't need to deal with hackers on the console version! You can exploit game mechanics for no-skill wins and never worry about someone one-upping you in douchebaggery!

DragoFireheart

Are you really that desperate that you are comparing in-game mechanics to hacking

The PC master race has a reputation to maintain as the saviors during the era of Great Decline. If even one counter-example exists, their entire platform comes crumbling down like a House of Cards. They have their honour that they must defend from he unwashed console masses!

Gentle Player

Arcane
Not that I'm taking sides in this non-argument, but there's a funny thing with regards to hacking: though it's perhaps easier and more prevalent on PC, it apparently can and does happen on consoles. If a malicious hacker were to invade and somehow adversely affect your character, say by reducing your stats or soul level, or killing an important NPC (I've heard of such incidents in the original Dark Souls), then a character with which you've potentially spent hundreds of hours on is irreversibly screwed and you'd have to either put up with it or start over again. On PC you can simply revert to a back-up save. Sure, it's very unlikely that you'd find yourself in that situation, but it's nice to have that security.

DragoFireheart

Not that I'm taking sides in this non-argument, but there's a funny thing with regards to hacking: though it's perhaps easier and more prevalent on PC, it apparently can and does happen on consoles.

No one is denying this.

If a malicious hacker were to invade and somehow adversely affect your character, say by reducing your stats or soul level, or killing an important NPC (I've heard of such incidents in the original Dark Souls), then a character with which you've potentially spent hundreds of hours on is irreversibly screwed and you'd have to either put up with it or start over again. On PC you can simply revert to a back-up save. Sure, it's very unlikely that you'd find yourself in that situation, but it's nice to have that security.

Hackers probably baited the player into killing the NPC. I have NEVER heard of an invading hacker killing the NPC themselves. I've also never heard of the other stuff. On PC or console.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Since the game is now running on FROM's servers, they will quite possibly have some anti cheating stuff active. Time will tell of course.

Castanova

Prophet
Are you really that desperate that you are comparing in-game mechanics to hacking

They both allow you to win with no skill or effort. The end result of both is you get lulz while a random person gets trolled. See the following quote from last page:

Indeed. This is so broken it's absolutely hilarious.

Just disproving Drago's argument, is all. I wasn't the one bringing up hacking, especially considering you can hack any of the platforms.

Also, LOL at people who think I'm a PC fanboy. I bought both of the last generation consoles. I will get the PS4 at some point. It's just time to admit that you all bought the worse version for more money because you're impatient. That's ultimately the point.

Kanedias

Savant
More testing showed up that some players can dodge the instant poison by sprinting and rolling while I'm casting. Others seem to roll it perfectly but they still get poisoned about one second later somehow, in which case I guess it either has to do with latency or lower poison resist from their armor/stats. I believe sprinting towards the person casting Dark Fog also works, as the cloud will appear behind you.

It's still quite overpowered, but it should be fun to try on invasions.

If anyone is curious about trying this combo:

Stat requirements for the Bat Staff: 25 intelligence (you can use it without the requirements but it'll have a bit less poison buildup)
Stat requirements for Dark Fog: 25 intelligence, 14 faith. It can be spiced down to 10/10. Takes 2 attunement slots.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hacking is done through 3rd party software that operates outside the realm of the games rules. The instant poison, while may seem unfair and cheap, is clearly intended by the developers (why else would they specifically have a staff that gives poison damage?). The end result may be the same, but one of them is still obeying the rules of the game. And really, WHEN was PvP in Souls games ever fair? Was it fair when people in full havels were doing flip flops and fishing for lagstabs? Or perhaps when people had rings that literally gave you invisibility so they could swoop in and out of your sight to poison you and then run away to become invisible. Or maybe when people could turtle behind a greatshield while poking you with a spear that slowly, but quite surely was destroying all your equipment?

Only tryhards took PvP in these games seriously. It was an interesting mechanic to deal with the -50% HP penalty; you could either help someone or take their life to get your body back, but then FROM went and pandered to the LARP PvPfags with covenants.

80Maxwell08

Arcane

They both allow you to win with no skill or effort. The end result of both is you get lulz while a random person gets trolled. See the following quote from last page:

Indeed. This is so broken it's absolutely hilarious.

Just disproving Drago's argument, is all. I wasn't the one bringing up hacking, especially considering you can hack any of the platforms.

Also, LOL at people who think I'm a PC fanboy. I bought both of the last generation consoles. I will get the PS4 at some point. It's just time to admit that you all bought the worse version for more money because you're impatient. That's ultimately the point.
Still talking about the worse or better version for a port that isn't out yet.

when people in full havels were doing flip flops and fishing for lagstabs? Or perhaps when people had rings that literally gave you invisibility so they could swoop in and out of your sight to poison you and then run away to become invisible. Or maybe when people could turtle behind a greatshield while poking you with a spear that slowly, but quite surely was destroying all your equipment?

those were great times
:troll:
. shame that i missed ds 1 on launch:cry:

Kanedias

Savant
About hacking... well, PC had the worst hackers, by far. In consoles (especially Xbox) you only have people with save-edited characters, which is restricted to a couple of cheats:

1) Infinite HP / stamina
2) Protectorname/Weaponname. These are edited armor and weapons respectively, they are upgraded versions of items that normally cannot be upgraded (for example, Havel's Armor+10, Crystal Greatsword +15)
3) Hacked spells: Karmic Justice Explosion, which is basically a more spammable version of WoG.

In PC, you can do so exactly the same, as well as more stuff:

1) Invading someone in the Township, changing to "host", running to the Chasm of the Abyss, and killing their Manus, closing their zone.
2) Cursing and Eggheading people, as well as breaking all their equipment in one hit.

As you can see, way worse hacks. If you're a noob in Dark Souls 1 and you get invaded by a console hacker, the worst he can do is kill you, in Dark Souls PC, he can curse and egghead you, which has lasting consequences.

Now as for how many hackers? I don't really believe Dark Souls PC has the most cheaters. I'd say that's Xbox. I have seen Xbox streams and the amount of cheaters they found in areas like the Forest was staggering.

Castanova

Prophet
Only tryhards took PvP in these games seriously.

Oh, I agree. I don't give two craps about how serious the PvP is. Drago used hacking as an argument for the console version and then two posts later got all excited about using cheese tactics to auto-win PvP battles. Hypocrisy central.

Yes, it is possible that PC version is a disaster. But the crappiness and extra cost of the console version is a certainty.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Only tryhards took PvP in these games seriously.

Oh, I agree. I don't give two craps about how serious the PvP is. Drago used hacking as an argument for the console version and then two posts later got all excited about using cheese tactics to auto-win PvP battles. Hypocrisy central.

Yes, it is possible that PC version is a disaster. But the crappiness and extra cost of the console version is a certainty.
Well the $60 price will be there on consoles that much is true but depending on the publisher it could be $60 on computers as well. Also both Demon's and Dark Souls ran fine on consoles save blighttown in DkS so your crap argument doesn't hold up.

praetor

Arcane
farmed the exectioner chariot mages for 3 hours. nothing. i hate this game :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom