Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

LivingOne

Savant
I wanted to write a post about a couple of reasons I think the game's atmosphere is not as good as its predecessor's(I don't think the poor way areas are connected or some of them being too gamey are the only reasons) but I can't be arsed right now,so later.

Meanwhile,look at the pic in this video:looks like the Iron Keep could have looked cool at some point:

Silva

Arcane
Dualwielding 2 Dragonslayer's Crescent Axes feels satisfying. And its suprisingly effective, suprised to dual wield is that good.
I wish I could say the same about 2 Bandits Knifes or Mytha Blades (pure Dex weapons in general). Yeah I know Im being boring at this point, but they should definitely rebalance adjust that in a future patch and make Dex builds stop being so shit.

aris

Arcane
I think I've kind of deepened my understanding of the ending the emerald herald now, after having played through it a couple of times, here's my theory:
I think we can say with high certainty that the emerald herald is one of Aida's creations, just like the royal sorcerer Navlaan. But as she says her self, she was created to get rid of the undead curse, but didn't turn out the way they thought she would. I think that the way she malfunctions, was that she ended up being created with a singular purpose: To keep drawing undead into drangleic to be the "next monarch" so that this would somehow end the curse (it doesn't, as she says at the very end, all this will play out over again). This very much parallells Navlaan, who's in its flawed creation, only serves the purpose of killing people seemingly at random.

As you end the game, and take your throne as "sovereign", it doesn't seem much like a throne, does it? More like a prison. Furthermore, what powers are you granted? None. And also, when you speak with shalquoir afterwards, she tells you in a very sober and what almost seems like a sarcastic tone: "Honorable sovereign, take your throne, and do great things if it pleases".

I'm guessing not many will find this interpretation interesting. Very many codexers were extremely quick to write off the story in DS2 as non-interesting, non-existing or non-sense. I do think that there is more to the story and lore of DS2 than what it seems at first, and as the creator of the prepare to cry series said, there are many things that players do not understand yet. And I fully believe that. I look forward to seeing his continuation of this in DS2.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
as the creator of the prepare to cry series said, there are many things that players do not understand yet.

He's an idiot with 0 credibility, who's very job depends on creating fan-fiction videos. He also said Dark Souls 2 was a 10/10 perfect game of the year, and did advertisements for Gamestop.

I think it's safe to say Dark Souls 2 is a shitty copy of the first game's story, which no amount of fan-fiction can make better.

aris

Arcane
DS2 does have many similar thematics. There is a fallen king, stories of past greatness, but to say that it's a shitty copy is taking it too far. DS2 tells a story that parallells, but at the same time is more than different enough from DS1.

As for the guy, that might be. I did immensely enjoy his series though, which provided me a lot of insight into the DS universe that I had missed.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I still dislike how a stat can change the amount of iframes in a roll without any visual change to the animation itself. I think a better way would've been to have stats (be it equip load or agility) affect the time it takes for the animation to finish, as well as the stamina cost (maybe that already happens, not sure). So someone with the stat investment/low equip load would have a much faster roll covering more distance, but with the same amount of iframes - which I think makes more sense for an "agile" character than just being lolimmune while rolling.

aris

Arcane
Just fought a red phantom that teleported 3 meters and then backstabbed me, instakilling me (I have 2300 hp) midroll. It might have been due to lag, but is that even possible? To backstab while you are doing a dodge roll? Seemed fucking weird.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Just fought a red phantom that teleported 3 meters and then backstabbed me, instakilling me (I have 2300 hp) midroll. It might have been due to lag, but is that even possible? To backstab while you are doing a dodge roll? Seemed fucking weird.
Hell I've had people backstab me farther than that. The lag can be really bad on consoles but I guess it's the same on PC too.

aris

Arcane
Hell I've had people backstab me farther than that. The lag can be really bad on consoles but I guess it's the same on PC too.
I guess, but the strange thing was that he didn't lag before that. And again, he backstabbed me when I was in the middle of my rolls. I did a roll away from him, midroll he was suddenly backstabbing me while standing 3 meters away from me a millisecond before. My question, is this even possible with lag, without hacking? It seemed fucking weird that he did 2300 damage to me in a single backstab with a dagger too, I guess he had the bandit dagger if I remember correctly.

Just had a great moment in belfry luna though. Inadvertently, I've become quite decent in PvP since I get invaded A LOT (I have no sins, and I also always get invaded when I'm playing solo, which is fucking weird considering how the matching is supposed to work). I first managed to beat the crap out of two invading grey spirits at the same time (a first one at this), killed the dwarfs, rang the bell and killed a third invader who came to join the ganking party. Then I proceeded directly to kick the gargoyle's ass.

Good times
:martini:

praetor

Arcane
I guess, but the strange thing was that he didn't lag before that. And again, he backstabbed me when I was in the middle of my rolls. I did a roll away from him, midroll he was suddenly backstabbing me while standing 3 meters away from me a millisecond before. My question, is this even possible with lag, without hacking? It seemed fucking weird that he did 2300 damage to me in a single backstab with a dagger too, I guess he had the bandit dagger if I remember correctly.

yup. this is easily one of the worst (probably THE worst) netcodes in an AAA game ever. i've had better experiences in the 90ies with Quake (2) on 56k modems than with Souls on broadband

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I think affecting I-frames is the better choice. The changes you propose would make rolling primarily a method of rolling away from attacks instead of also being a viable method of rolling through attacks. Being able to roll through attacks results in better and more entertaining gameplay based around timing. If better rolling away from attacks were the primary benefit of increasing agility then it would place even more emphasis on baiting attacks, backing up/rolling away and attacking during recovery. Rolling through adds to the variety of gameplay by being able to time rolls to avoid attacks and still stay in melee range.

I do agree that a visual way of indicating this would be good but I really can't think of a very good one.

You can roll through attacks with, say, 12 iframes (between medium and fast roll in DaS1) perfectly fine. Finished DaS1, rolling through everything with medium roll (11 iframes) and it felt perfectly fine.

Having a roll that completes faster (less frames in total, so the iframes to total frames ratio is increased, same as if you increased the iframe count) lets a player be more aggressive, actually, since you finish the roll sooner and have a larger window to capitalize on the enemy's vulnerability. It would also let you roll more "reactively" - you could wait longer before starting the roll, and still roll through the attack. Finally, reduced stamina cost would improve aggressive potential as well, as you can spend more of it on attacking, and need to leave less up in case of emergency.

On the other hand, a character in heavy armor/without ADP would have to time their rolls and manage their stamina more carefully. They'd still get the same iframes, but would need to start the roll earlier, and be punished more for mistiming it and getting caught at the end of the animation.

I think you either do this or go back to DaS1's system, maybe with more breakpoints to stop players from optimizing too much? I think it's very important to have a visual indicator of how a roll's defensive properties change. 8 to 15 frames is very little, you only perceive that intuitively after practicing, so if it changes, everything feels off. Playing DaS2 with 85 Agility (8 iframes in a roll) is a very awkward experience, as Mikayel can attest.

DramaticPopcorn

What's with this goddamn matchmaking dudes? I cannot invade anyone as a bell keeper, while I get invaded instantly the moment I step my foot into the tower. My SM is over 4 mil, tho. Maybe that has to do with it

Last edited by a moderator:

aris

Arcane
What's with this goddamn matchmaking dudes? I cannot invade anyone as a bell keeper, while I get invaded instantly the moment I step my foot into the tower.
Being a covenant member does not prevent you from getting invaded. Furthermore, you don't stay in the bell area to get summoned, you simply wear the ring and stay in any other PvP area and wait your turn in the queue. When the covenant symbol is flashing, it means that you are in the matchmaking queue.

DramaticPopcorn

I know how that shit works, it's just that I don't get summoned like at all, where as there are clearly people within my level range

aris

Arcane
I know how that shit works, it's just that I don't get summoned like at all, where as there are clearly people within my level range
The reason being, of course, that there are probably 100 times more bell keepers than there are people hanging around in the bell areas waiting to be ganked. There's a lot of queue.

DramaticPopcorn

Will matchmaking somehow change if I advance to NG+ or is it still solely tied to SM ?

aris

Arcane
I love all the retards that call this ganking. When you are invading someone's world, and they summon other player's, it ain't fucking ganking. Ganking is to summon players, and then summon a red soap stone, although considering all the shit that the other players do, I think this is pretty much ok too, although I've never done it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom