Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Bony

Learned
Queued
Not an RPG that is worthy of this subforum. :rpgcodex:

Tigranes

Arcane
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...more-approachable-series-creator-steps-aside/

The original creator of the first two DS games is now in an "advisory" capacity and is disappointed in that decision. The two cunts taking his place are action video game "directors" who are part of Namco Bandai's peanut gallery franchise cum-milking squad. The only new component in the sequel is "time" where quests and tasks have a time limit or something like that. If Namco-Bandai wasn't dicking around with a proven success formula I would be excited. As it stands, the death of this series is now confirmed. Whether if it's with this one or the one after that is not important because the official change has taken place.

For fuck's sake. Let the guy who created the game at least create one sequel before you bring in a pair of manwhores.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
For fuck's sake. Let the guy who created the game at least create one sequel before you bring in a pair of manwhores.

They did. He direct DeS and DaS and since DaS didn't outsell CoD4 or whatever they're canning him and putting in a graphics whore (seriously the new director has previously only worked as a director for a company that does FMV sequences for games. He doesn't even directly work on games, he's the guy who does their outsourced CGI shit.)

"Miyazaki worked on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but for the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with [a] brand new Dark Souls experience.

This sentence is so cliche I can't even bother to rage anymore.

Does every company hire the same PR team? I mean, what is with the exact same phrases and sentences being thrown around by every company for every questionable decision?

Well, there's only so many ways you can say "IT'LL BE OKAY GUYS, TRUST US".

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
"Miyazaki worked on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but for the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with [a] brand new Dark Souls experience.

This sentence is so cliche I can't even bother to rage anymore.

Does every company hire the same PR team? I mean, what is with the exact same phrases and sentences being thrown around by every company for every questionable decision?

It's corporate PR so it's common all across the board. Look at studios like CDPR and Larian who don't put out these, for the lack of a better word, buzzword statements. Then again, they have their CEOs doing the talking so that might have something to do with it.

bminorkey

They did. He direct DeS and DaS and since DaS didn't outsell CoD4 or whatever they're canning him and putting in a graphics whore

Is there any reliable source on how many copies it did sell? Last figure mentions around 1.5 million console sales worldwide, but this doesn't account for PC sales, and as I understand the game's popularity has since been soaring.

e- doing your own research: according to http://www.vgchartz.com/, combined sales for Xbox360 & PS3 are 2.05m as of Dec 29th, 2012. The site estimates PC sales at a pitiful 0.01m, but that seems like an extremely unreliable figure (the game topped Steam for months) and probably only accounts for hard copy sales. Also, Steam rarely releases sales numbers, and...well... Dark Souls 2.

A very modest estimate of 200k copies sold on the PC makes for 750k copies sold since May 2012, i.e. starting several months after the release date. That's impressive for any RPG, let alone one without marketing effort whatsoever (for comparison's sake: sequel DA2 sold around 1.5m copies total and ME2 sold 1.6m... but alright, ME3 sold around 4m).

(Anecdote: Sony mentioned in an interview they initially thought Demon's Souls was "crap", which is why it didn't see an overseas release until much later).

Damned Registrations

Digital download numbers are notoriously tight lipped. They're considered trade secrets or some shit.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/02/dark-souls-ii-to-have-slightly-larger-world-wont-be-open-world/

There was a recent interview with Miyazaki and the new director on DS2. Seems like they could be going on the right track with this game, but then Piranha Bytes said the same type of shit with Risen 2 and we know how that turned out. I'm pretty neutral about DS2, not really sure what to expect so far. At least Miyazaki seems to have some say in the game's direction, especially in regards to multiplayer and dlc. Still, him being kicked off the director's chair reeks of corporate bullshit.

bminorkey

I must've missed that.

I looked up some of Shibuya's games, they're actually pretty cool, the action is fluid and good, but streamlined compared to DaS.

Would you guys like a more direct translation of the 4gamer interview? Miyazaki appears a little more pessimistic than these articles would suggest.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I doubt that could be a placeholder. Dark Souls II is obviously a quick cash grab that is supposed to capitalize on the success of the previous game, so it doesn't really come as a surprise it's being developed for the current-gen consoles. Let's just hope it isn't too terrible a cash grab.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I doubt that could be a placeholder. Dark Souls II is obviously a quick cash grab that is supposed to capitalize on the success of the previous game, so it doesn't really come as a surprise it's being developed for the current-gen consoles. Let's just hope it isn't too terrible a cash grab.

Are you fucking kidding? Hidetaka Miyazaki not being the director and only in an advisory role is pretty much guaranteeing that Dark Souls 2 will be shit.

I'll wait and see, but I expect a shit game at this point.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are you fucking kidding?

??

Actually, that's just what I was saying. I'm expecting the game to be a shameless cash grab - I'm just hoping there might be at least something redeemable about it, which is where we disagree, I guess.
The game has a decent, long enough development time. It doesn't look a cash grab for me. Especially since From Software is not known for those kind of games.

Damned Registrations

Are you fucking kidding?

??

Actually, that's just what I was saying. I'm expecting the game to be a shameless cash grab - I'm just hoping there might be at least something redeemable about it, which is where we disagree, I guess.
The game has a decent, long enough development time. It doesn't look a cash grab for me. Especially since From Software is not known for those kind of games.
?

Like every single armored core has had a cash grab sequel on the same engine with 80% of the same assets. Not that I mind, I think it's a good practice to make a game or three that way, so development can be focused on aspects like gameplay and writing instead of just cranking out more shiny polygons. But they certainly have a history of doing this sort of thing.

The part that is concerning is who they changed the director to. The guy has AWFUL credentials. I'd have honestly preferred it if they had appointed a completely unheard of guy fresh out of school or something. This is like finding out they cast Jim Carrey as a main character in Game of Thrones.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are you fucking kidding?

??

?

Like every single armored core has had a cash grab sequel on the same engine with 80% of the same assets. Not that I mind, I think it's a good practice to make a game or three that way, so development can be focused on aspects like gameplay and writing instead of just cranking out more shiny polygons. But they certainly have a history of doing this sort of thing.

The part that is concerning is who they changed the director to. The guy has AWFUL credentials. I'd have honestly preferred it if they had appointed a completely unheard of guy fresh out of school or something. This is like finding out they cast Jim Carrey as a main character in Game of Thrones.

Like every single armored core has had a cash grab sequel on the same engine with 80% of the same assets.
The Armored Core games are very good, usually there are big differences in gameplay in every one of them. Like the arcadey AC4 vs the more sim-like AC5. They use the same graphical assets, so? It makes sense from a financial and time perspective.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
They want to appeal to a broader audience. If that doesn't ring off any alarmbells I don't know what will. Game will be shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom