Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The decline of JRPGS

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Did you read by post? I never said the characters were interesting. I was talking about art direction only.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
All the characters were well designed and fit their character, and they're enjoyable to look at. There's no 10 thousand belts or zippers.

The somewhat poor translation I think added to the charm, especially with a character like Barret where that level of racism when presented differently would be off-putting rather than humorous.
I presumed you liked the characters but it seems you were only talking about their appearances.Still i don't think there was anything remarkable about the character design and they they were rather plain(Bar the mascot characters)but it was certainly better than most new jrpg's art style.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'd recommend this http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=patff if you want to read about Final Fantasy's rise and eventual decline, from the perspective of a fan replaying all the games in the series and reviewing them individually. Quite a fascinating read.

Thanks for posting this, awesome writeup
Founds this in one of the articles:

square.png

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'd recommend this http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=patff if you want to read about Final Fantasy's rise and eventual decline, from the perspective of a fan replaying all the games in the series and reviewing them individually. Quite a fascinating read.

Thanks for posting this, awesome writeup
He did write a lot, and I agree with most of his text, but he takes it a bit too personal in places like here:

But Square Enix doesn't care, and it doesn't need to care. It knows that its every release is going to sell millions of copies due to brand recognition, the thousands of desperate fans in their mid to late twenties still hoping for another shot of the soma they felt from being thirteen and playing Final Fantasy VII for the first time

I get his point, but he is looking into matters from the wrong perspective... Square-Enix really does care, but not about western market and people buying games for nostalgia. I think some people, especially in the US, have trouble understanding that some games are not focused on pleasing their tastes and expectations, but rather those of the japanese audience. Absolutly nowhere Final Fantasy XIII promised to relieve "the classic era", to fill up the nostalgia of FF VII... is not that SE is evil and exploiting brand recognition, but rather that people are dumb and can't see past the FF logo. They don't even follow the evolution of the series or anything, just project complelty personal and unbased expectations into a game, then get butthurt that the game failed to fullfill them.

I can relate and/or understand almost every complain he makes, but he goes full retard when he ends up going "wahhh, this is not FF VII, Square-Enix lied to me!!!!1111"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom