Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The decline of video games visualized in one infographic

GrainWetski

Arcane
PC portion of the graph has Amazon and Google lauching cloud gaming but nothing denoting Steam

hmmmmmmm
It also only mentions Xbox despite PS2 being the best selling console of all time, selling 6 times as much as the original Xbox. Sure, M$'s multiplayer subscription scam evolved into being the most succesful scam in all of gaming but it didn't amount to anything worth mentioning in that generation.

This is just some thinly veiled advertisement. Does anyone even use the 'cloud gaming services' that they're peddling?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Everything started with this casual multiplayer shit. True gamer gaming is autistic and single.

Yes, Counter Strike, I'm looking at you.

Yeah. I don't know why people (gamers) have this urge to play with others.

"gamers" lol
8fc.jpeg

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Everything started with this casual multiplayer shit. True gamer gaming is autistic and single.

Yes, Counter Strike, I'm looking at you.

Yeah. I don't know why people (gamers) have this urge to play with others.

I was against it for a long time but tbh it becomes a habit, and you spend a surprising amount of time together when certain people are online. It's not something I want to do all the time but sometimes I just feel in the mood to play together with other people, coop open world most of the time, but also mil sims and flight sims.

It also has some unexpected side effects for example people become actual long term friends and partners and talk to me of "good old times" we had that is something you cherish when it happens.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I always say I never play multiplayer, but it's more that I never play multiplayer with random people. My friends and I in high school and college played games together all the time, and I had a ton of fun playing Left 4 Dead with my best friend a decade ago. The problem is most of them moved on from gaming, don't have gaming PCs anymore and don't play anything, and I only ever enjoyed multiplayer with people I know personally. There's a guy at my work I get along well with and he plays The Division, but he does it on PS4 and I don't think it has crossplay.

Burning Bridges

I always say I never play multiplayer, but it's more that I never play multiplayer with random people. My friends and I in high school and college played games together all the time, and I had a ton of fun playing Left 4 Dead with my best friend a decade ago. The problem is most of them moved on from gaming, don't have gaming PCs anymore and don't play anything, and I only ever enjoyed multiplayer with people I know personally. There's a guy at my work I get along well with and he plays The Division, but he does it on PS4 and I don't think it has crossplay.

What I mean is you find new people.

Most ppl you meet are trash just like in this forum. But there are things you do not expect and a chance encounter in a game like GTA Online can turn into a real partnership.

What I also found is that with people in real life I cannot discuss what I do on the computer, they lack the knowledge, interest and tolerance. Even people who play games themselves are usually in such a narrow, different corridor that we have nothing in common. But with friends online it's suddenly the most normal thing to talk about
a specific game for hours. It's a bit like the first internet forums you moved in during the 1990s, only that occsionally perfect matches are created because people find themselves at the exact same spot.

Ash

Arcane
And if the future of singleplayer were to become AA and indie for the most part, is that so bad? I don't think so.

That's wishful thinking I think. Never gonna happen.
70 billion dollars in fact, according to that chart, and no one's tossing that out the window saying "fuck it" because something else makes more.
Again not saying that. I'm specifically saying that PC and Console will not be lead platforms so this idea of Mobile lead development does scare me a bit because of the monetisation practices and this habit of psychologically manipulating players at expense to the game quality. Again we've seen it real bad anyway with AAA but its a trend now and it'll get worse with that surge in Mobile market share. The focus is going to move further away from quality I think. Which is bad because the quality was already terrible. Basically we're not turning around if anything we're accelerating more into the chaos.

Mobile will not push PC/Console development aside.

1. Some developers do have integrity. Hard to believe when experiencing most of todays games but true. They would change industry before being forced to make mobile games, and they'd typically get paid better making the switch too.
2. Mobile games are not at the forefront of innovation. PCs an Consoles lead there. The controls and hardware of mobile is just too limited. If there's no innovation, then eventually stagnation.
3. Different audiences. The major share of mobile gamers are middle-aged women. Or at least that used to be the case. Could be kids now.
4. Mobile market is already stagnant; many try, many flop.
5. Fancy big budget games are always going to be money makers. Even though they're often in reality mediocre or terrible games, they look nice, or more impressive than the previous generation. That's everything to some people. Sad but true.

That said, mobile has done a lot of damage, but the damage is done at this point. In an ideal world it would have just been another form of handheld gaming (e.g worth a damn), makes me think of the N-Gage which had genuine games. I owned one.

"friends" lol

There is a saying by Marcus Tullius "who wants to find a real friend, first has to be a good man himself".

Somebody who has no friends is trash, plain and simple.

Retardo logic. Donald Trump has friends. Stalin had Friends. Pedophile at house number 274 had friends.
Has friends or no, or the number of them is no indication of a person's overall character. what if that person opts to have no friends, only acquaintances because he's a genius inventor and dedicates every waking hour to his work?

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Keeping in mind, of the 40BN for PC, about 30BN all up is for China, Fortnite and League of Legends, and something under 10bn is for what is known as the "discrete PC games market" aka all games that are not made by communists and not FTP microtransaction fandangos

Melcar

Arcane
according to that graph, the whole "we'll focus on consoles because computer market is dead and all our money will go elsewhere" was just a gigantic amount of horseshit retards like the epic bloke were trying to convince themselves of.

In America it was dead, unless you were World of Warcraft. At a certain point the PC market in America becomes basically one game that's making money hand over fist at any given time. It's less a market and more World of Warcraft is making tons of money. Minecraft is making tons of money. Fortnite is making tons of money. If it's world wide numbers then you're figuring in these massive Korean MMOs like Lineage and Dungeon Fighter Online into the mix...which make the business the American games do look like nothing.

It was like in '99 RollerCoaster Tycoon was the only PC game that was getting the kind of numbers console games have, and it was selling twice as much as the second best selling PC game. Then came The Sims in 2000. Then the PC market basically died, and in 2004 World of Warcraft came along and made money like nothing before it.

Burning Bridges

muricans. always thinking that they're the whole world.

Just a reminder that it was the Americans who invented personal computers, invented computer games and when the industry was still mainly USA games were still cool.

In fact I still have a C128 with all accessories and when I browse the manual (printed in USA) I can still smell the win, after almost 40 years

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Just a reminder that it was the Americans who invented personal computers, invented computer games and when the industry was still mainly USA games were still cool.
And what happened to that America? From inclining the world, by inventing technology and culling communists it changed to declining the world with the degenerate shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom