Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Quest Thread

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And a second Builders is on the way or here? Demo available? A DQ Minecraft?

Heroes is from 2015? Shows how much I keep up.

3rd party EULA
ugh! My lord this is a spendy franchise.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, if you were to ONLY STEAM library Square Enix games from ground zero and pay the premium price….

Wallet says
Ouch!
:edgy::takemymoney:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The first DQ Builders is the one coming to Steam soon.

I'm chugging along in Dragon Quest VII. Finally able to have jobs for my characters. Been doing some of the online stuff, since that will soon be goon forever.

I installed Dragon Quest Heroes II, but it will be some time before I actually get to it. The first one was decent, and fun time waster.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RIP, an absolute legend, and I don't say that often.

I beat DQ7 earlier in the year, snd I resumed my DQ11 playthrough. So this hurts to read.

Machocruz

Arcane
This is the manga/anime/game art industry equivalent of Prince or MJ dying. RIP to a GOAT. What a legacy he's leaving behind though, in multiple media!

TwoEdge

Scholar
Akira Toriyama has supposedly died. Wonder who is going to do the Dragon Quest designs now.
I guess they either come up with a new vision, or get someone like Toyotaro, who's the artist behind several Dragonball manga, especially Super, and has a pretty similar style.

Viata

Arcane
Toyotaro's art sucks and it's not the style that matters, it's Akira's creativity. Anyone that read his other works knows how interesting his mecha works are, to the point sometimes I wished DB was never big so he could have spent the time drawing more cool mecha stuff.

Machocruz

Arcane
Might start playing DQ3 in his honoru. Haven't decided which version yet. SNES looks nicer and I prefer animated to static enemy sprites, but I also like how simple graphics like NES engage my imagination to 'fill in the blanks'.

Sentinel

Arcane
Toyotaro's art sucks and it's not the style that matters, it's Akira's creativity. Anyone that read his other works knows how interesting his mecha works are, to the point sometimes I wished DB was never big so he could have spent the time drawing more cool mecha stuff.
Yep. Toriyama's strongest aspect were his character designs. Even when his art took a turn which I dislike I never had the same dislike for the designs themselves. His use of colour was impeccable. So many iconic characters that you can recognize just from the colour combinations alone, the art style almost doesn't matter.

That sort of talent is irreplaceable.

deuxhero

Arcane
Might start playing DQ3 in his honoru. Haven't decided which version yet. SNES looks nicer and I prefer animated to static enemy sprites, but I also like how simple graphics like NES engage my imagination to 'fill in the blanks'.
NES version has much, much rougher mechanics (stuff doesn't actually work etc.). Thief is overpowered, but has a lot of quality of life features.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Toyotaro is fine.

dragon-ball-super-vol-3-9781421599465-hr.jpg

Viata

Arcane
So? That is also something a lot of DB fan artists can do. Copying DB style is very easy, in fact. But to have Toriyama's creativity, however, is something very different.

Machocruz

Arcane
NES version has much, much rougher mechanics (stuff doesn't actually work etc.). Thief is overpowered, but has a lot of quality of life features.
Good to know. Was edging towards SNES version anyways since the point is to celebrate Toriyama's contribution and it shows off his designs better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom