Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Excavation of Hob's Barrow (formerly Incantamentum) - folk horror adventure set in rural Victorian England

Modron

Arcane
How old are we talking, some of the scenes could be disturbing, cursing is pretty rare, and I don't know why you would think this has nudity.

GandGolf

Augur
In one of the Kickstarter updates about voice acting didn't they say that the kid got all excited because they learned that they could say a swear word? What that word was that they said was not mentioned.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
to anyone that played it: how appropriate is the game for a young kid? swearing, nudity, violence, that kind of thing. my kid has enjoyed adventure games in the past, and the fact that this one is fully vocalized helps.
Too creepy to play with a young kid, it goes into Lovecraftian horror especially in the later parts, and has a downer ending.

toughasnails

You are generally offered multiple dialogue options. You can have the main character acting as an obnoxious bitch rather than a pleasant young lady all the time, but you don't have to. And while there are obviously no multiple endings or anything, you are better off not acting as an obnoxious bitch.
The question here is why have you selected just those options, hm. You want a waifu that would treat you as a sadistic man-hating mommy would, or do you perchance want to be one yourself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Vatnik Wumao
The entire game is a rejection of the you go girl attitude when the BRAVE and STUNNING woman gets involved in something way over her head.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
You are generally offered multiple dialogue options. You can have the main character acting as an obnoxious bitch rather than a pleasant young lady all the time, but you don't have to. And while there are obviously no multiple endings or anything, you are better off not acting as an obnoxious bitch.
The question here is why have you selected just those options, hm. You want a waifu that would treat you as a sadistic man-hating mommy would, or do you perchance want to be one yourself?
sorry king but so far I'd wager around 3/4 of all acts of indignation are scripted, not optional, and the way this womyn of intellection has to suffer the feral primal folks from oop norf is truly inspiring and empowering. you go, grrl.
yes i'm aware she'll be brought down a peg, dunno in what manner specifically since i've avoided spoiling myself

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
now wasn't that last section a little stressful
i certainly enjoy the atmosphere as it places what's evil and primal in the soil, as befits good euro mythology, rather than resorting to some disgusting lovecraft-invented sea fantasies
otherwise it's painfully clear it's a game by the sumatra dev, uninventive and overly reliant on retrospections

toughasnails

The ending is great. It's nice to have a horror that isn't afraid to be horror. Even the better recent folk horror media is prone to the sort of ambiguity that allows one to read it as narratives of liberation and/or return the natural... If there is any ambiguity to the ending here, what is certain is that however you take it the protagonist is left with nothing to stand on and with no exit. Horrific experience isn't a road to some sort of opening and transcending of oneself, nor is her failure that she lacked courage to go far enough. She honestly wanted "truth" after all, it is just that the truth is horrific and that is the end of it.

ds

Cipher
Patron
The problem with the ending isn't that is an unambiguous tragedy (games could use more of those, agreed) but that there isn't a good motivation for Thomasina (and more importantly for the player controlling her) to go through with the excavation and then actually break the seal in the end. Instead you are given plenty of warnings but no option to act on them. While you can argue that Thomasina is already being magically influenced by the big bad and unable to act rationally by that point, that still doesn't make this a good ending for a game where there is a (hopefully not completely retarded) player making choices on behalf of the character. If you are going to force the player into choosing a "bad" ending, at least make an attempt at motivating why that is the choice the character must make.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The problem with the ending isn't that is an unambiguous tragedy (games could use more of those, agreed) but that there isn't a good motivation for Thomasina (and more importantly for the player controlling her) to go through with the excavation and then actually break the seal in the end. Instead you are given plenty of warnings but no option to act on them. While you can argue that Thomasina is already being magically influenced by the big bad and unable to act rationally by that point, that still doesn't make this a good ending for a game where there is a (hopefully not completely retarded) player making choices on behalf of the character. If you are going to force the player into choosing a "bad" ending, at least make an attempt at motivating why that is the choice the character must make.
there's at least one reason
she's positively obsessed with her father (or her idea of her father, as others point out), and under the impression Saxnot will make good on the bargain

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
codexers: Point and click games puzzles make no sense, it's moon logic shit! Why can't the puzzles actually make sense and be logical?
also codexers: This point and click game's puzzles made sense and were logical. It's shit and too easy!

Vatnik Wumao
A game having easy puzzles is fine. What's unacceptable is when a game actively prevents the player from failing. Like in Norco where at one point you need to buy drugs as part of a puzzle. And the way it's set up, it's possible to fail at this puzzle. But the game then provides an impossible to fail fetch quest that accomplishes the same thing.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Jenky, when I posted about coprophiles I wasn't referring to you, but if the shoe fits...

In the end, it's just a woke casual game for faggots made by virtue signaling twatterturds, case closed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom