Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Drakortha

Liturgist
If you're gonna buy a boost and the xpac, just to play some passable story and have a sense of progression for 30 hours, you might as well just buy an actual RPG for the same price.
I never get this argument. “Just play a real RPG lol!” Somebody is looking at an MMO for a reason. Maybe they want to quest with other people? Maybe they want to PVP in between quests? Maybe they just want to shitpost in the gen chat? I don’t think most people are unaware of the existence of single-player RPGs.

There's a clique on this forum that have had a bone to pick with GW2 ever since it released 10 years ago. It's made up of disgruntled GW1 players as well as your general dog-water shitposters who don't have anything good to say about anything that isn't a single player cRPG. But GW2 in particular gets a special kind of hate here, even though it's actually much more fun and interesting than 90% of other games in it's category.

Anonona

Learned
I played GW2 when it released, and although I did enjoy it for what it was, I didn't end up really liking the combat system that much. I did enjoy creating your own builds, and certain concepts of the combat system, like the field skill combos I found interesting, but most of the time i felt like I was just playing my character without interacting that much with the other players and everyone was kind of just doing their own thing. I felt that the lack of well defined roles hurt the gameplay. I will confess though, I'm 90% sure I sucked at the game so it was probably a case of me not knowing how to synergize with other players. Lately I had been thinking about giving it another chance, but I have some questions.

How has combat changed since vanilla GW2?
How important is party composition and playing off of each other classes?
There are some Elite Specs now which allows you to use new weapons, like bow for guardian. Are elite specs mandatory to perform well in endgame, would I be forced to use the weapon associated with the spec?
How is the leveling/Main story experience? Something I didn't like in vanilla was how long you spend playing alone or just with random people doing world quests (the one with the hearth). Are the expansion's zones more dangerous and would it require you to go with a party?
Is there more party content before reaching endgame?
Is 80 still the level cap? I did like the horizontal progression of endgame, probably one of my favorite things of the game.
How is Guardian doing nowadays? Is it fun and/or good to play?

If you're gonna buy a boost and the xpac, just to play some passable story and have a sense of progression for 30 hours, you might as well just buy an actual RPG for the same price.
I never get this argument. “Just play a real RPG lol!” Somebody is looking at an MMO for a reason. Maybe they want to quest with other people? Maybe they want to PVP in between quests? Maybe they just want to shitpost in the gen chat? I don’t think most people are unaware of the existence of single-player RPGs.

There's a clique on this forum that have had a bone to pick with GW2 ever since it released 10 years ago. It's made up of disgruntled GW1 players as well as your general dog-water shitposters who don't have anything good to say about anything that isn't a single player cRPG. But GW2 in particular gets a special kind of hate here, even though it's actually much more fun and interesting than 90% of other games in it's category.
listen here, you little shit.
gw elevated itself over the rabble because it offered completely free character building, multiclassing, little to no leveling up, group dynamics and non-banal fights with ample interactions between skills.
gw2 got rid of the completely free character building, multiclassing, little to no leveling up, group dynamics and non-banal fights with ample interactions between skills.
the only difference gw2 introduced over the standard korean mmo is that instead of "12345" it's "67890".

Well, I have to reiterate that to me, GW2's main draw is its sense of adventure. Constantly going to new fantasy maps and traversing them in unique ways. Also engaging events and combat. I'm hard pressed to think of other games that provide that experience. Maybe Zelda, but it doesn't provide anywhere near the same amount of content.

How important is party composition and playing off of each other classes?

Hardly important most of the time. If you're playing the story or open world, you can role with whatever build so long as it is not a support build. Good luck trying to kill anything as a healer Druid.

How has combat changed since vanilla GW2?

A new mechanic called the Defiance Bar (aka the Break Bar) was added to champions and bosses. Such mobs are initially invulnerable to crowd control. Applying crowd control gradually depletes their break bar. Once fully depleted, the mob becomes vulnerable to all CCs for several seconds before regenning their break bar to full. Previously, CC was near useless against champions and bosses because diminishing returns made them immune to CC forever really fast.

Are elite specs mandatory to perform well in endgame

Define "endgame". If you mean running fractals (time attack dungeons, aka mythic+ from WoW) then yes there are certain builds that are favored. Otherwise you can just roll with whatever. Some core vanilla classes have been neglected and aren't as good as the elite specs but you can still do all story and overworld content with them. Some core classes like Ranger are still just as good as their elite specs.

would I be forced to use the weapon associated with the spec?

No.

How is the leveling/Main story experience?

As aforementioned, levelling is awful. Most existing players just use their level boosts they accumulate from log in rewards and birthdays to boost a new character straight to 80.

The first 1/3rd of GW2's storyline is disjointed. The vanilla game's storyline has you adventure with Destiny's Edge and fight a zombie dragon. However, Destiny's Edge was voiced by A-list voice actors such as Steve Blum, Troy Baker, Felicia Day, Kari Wahlgren, etc. Probably more expensive to retain than Arena Net wanted, so in season 1 Destiny's Edge was written out of the story (except for Rytlock, who was a breakout character) and replaced with a brand new cast of characters (that people genereally don't like as much as Destiny's Edge). Unfortunately, you cannot play season 1, so if you finish the vanilla story and jump into the next playable segment (season 2 or HoT), then you suddenly go from adventuring with characters you knew and cared about to adventuring with people you know nothing about. The general sentiment of the fandom is that Rox, Majory, Kasmeer, Eir's son, and Taimi aren't as likeable as their predecessors. You gradually pick up more about them as you go on, but I didn't care about them as much as Destiny's Edge. It's pretty telling when the big finale of the story happened at the end of season 4, only the Destiny's Edge characters were there, with the sole new character being Aurene. Canach is okay in my book, though.

The first 1/3rd of the season 1 story is being added back into the game next week.

Another problem with S2's storyline is that you weren't going to many new places. You had 8 episodes (2-3 hours each) set in just two maps. Also, the player character isn't voiced in S2.

Main story starts getting pretty decent in the HoT expansion and season 3. You go to a new place in every episode, so even if you don't like the characters very much it feels like you're going on a globe trotting journey through a fantasy world. You also start getting some cool setpieces. Also the villains start getting a little more interesting than "rawr dragon". Also, Aurene is introduced and is pretty okay. I'm almost tempted to say I like her. A little. The player character is also voiced again.

Is there more party content before reaching endgame?

There is hardly any mandatory content you have to do with other players to beat the story. If you want to play with others, then you can do events out on the world (but you won't really make friends with anyone) or do PvP. Once you reach level 80 you can do fractals and raids (join a discord for the latter).

Is 80 still the level cap?

Yes.

re the expansion's zones more dangerous and would it require you to go with a party?

You can solo almost all overworld content in any expansion. Only stuff you need more players for are the meta event finales where you need multiple players in different locations across the map (ie, the Tarir meta event, Dragon's Stand, etc).

Last edited:

Drakortha

Liturgist
gw elevated itself over the rabble because it offered completely free character building, multiclassing, little to no leveling up, group dynamics and non-banal fights with ample interactions between skills.
gw2 got rid of the completely free character building, multiclassing, little to no leveling up, group dynamics and non-banal fights with ample interactions between skills.
the only difference gw2 introduced over the standard korean mmo is that instead of "12345" it's "67890".

If you prefer GW1, go play that instead. Just get over it already and let those that enjoy GW2 enjoy it and discuss it in peace instead of coming in here every day whining about this shit. Fucking retard.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

If you prefer GW1, go play that instead. Just get over it already and let those that enjoy GW2 enjoy it and discuss it in peace instead of coming in here every day whining about this shit. Fucking retard.
it's a shit game with absolutely zero redeeming features and I will take every chance I can to remind you of this

Drakortha

Liturgist

it's a shit game with absolutely zero redeeming features and I will take every chance I can to remind you of this

GW2 came out 10 years ago you retarded piece of shit. Get with the fucking times. Anyone who didn't like the game already moved on so you aren't achieving anything. Why don't you do something more productive like take a shit in the Baldur's Gate 3 thread. That franchise is currently in the process of being raped by Larian and much worse than anything Anet did. You're so fucking amateur.

Codex Year of the Donut

GW2 came out 10 years ago you retarded piece of shit. Get with the fucking times. Anyone who didn't like the game already moved on so you aren't achieving anything. Why don't you do something more productive like take a shit in the Baldur's Gate 3 thread. That franchise is currently in the process of being raped by Larian and much worse than anything Anet did. You're so fucking amateur.
bad game

so now even the codex has, literally, "this is the x game thread and we don't speak ill of it".
dude, people like you are the reason why the world is in ruins.

Drakortha

Liturgist
gw2bad.png

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Patron
fsdfsdfdasfsdfsdfdasfsdfsdfdasfs

fsdfsdfdasfsdfsdfdasfsdfsdfdasfsdfsdfdas

fsdfsdfdasfsdffsdfsdfdasfsdfsdfdassdfdasfsdfsdfdasfsdfsdfdasfsdfsdfdas

dfsdfdas

Last edited:
It's very difficult to make money.

I can casually make about 3-4, sometimes 5 gold per day in about 30 minutes. You get 2 gold from doing three dailies (I prefer to do PvP, which gives me lots of boxes too), and then you can do daily adventures to get boxes, which you can salvage (blue or green items) or sell on the auction house (yellows and exotics).

Everything in the game that's interesting needs gold. A fuckton of it.

You only really need a lot of gold to buy the Griffon mount (250 gold for all 10 mats, which are bought for 25 gold each from vendors), but the game isn't designed around requiring the Griffon. Otherwise, you can buy a full set of exotic equipment off of the auction house for a at most a couple dozen gold, and then buy appropriate runes and sigils.

You can get a lot of gold by farming Silverwastes/HoT maps/S3 maps, or Fractal dailies, but at that point you're probably farming for some legendary, which is an insane grind.

But who has the patience to farm anywhere in this game? Everything dries up in no time.

People aren't farming old world vanilla content. They're farming special map currencies from Silverwastes, HoT expansion maps, and season 3 maps.

Anyway why is loot so shit?

Old world loot is shit.

Live events and occasional renowned hearts bring in the most money. But mostly live events.

If you're farming vanilla events for money, then... well, you're not going to make much at all.

Btw i'm running the fuck out of renowned hearts

Again, the vanilla game content is meh. The game really shines starting with the HoT expansion.

Is the idea i'm suppose to create a team of alt-characters to use the shitty items these random vendors offer after I do their dirty work?

I only play one character. I had alts when I tried out other classes but I have never played them since then. Never finished most of those hearts in the vanilla zones.

Most collectors are centered around gear that looks different, not that can better.

Having been exhausted by gear treadmills in other MMOs (and games in general), I'm rather happy that I can just deck out my character once and then never have to worry about gear again. I find gear micromanagement in the vast majority of games to be a tedious chore that detracts from my enjoyment of the game.

Sure I can upgrade my gear a little bit but why bother? Fuck off with your mythic forges and other shit I have no reason to grind for.

The mystic forge is for legendary crafting, which is an absurd grind that's only really for no-lifers. I've been playing this game for years and pretty much never use it.

-How did you enjoy this turd prior to elite-specializations?

Some of the vanilla classes like Ranger still hold up as just as fun as elite speces.

-How did you enjoy this turd prior to any expansion?

The Ascalon and Shiverpeaks maps were visually pleasant. Silverwastes the only PvE map with engaging gameplay. PvP is decent. But yeah, vanilla is meh.

-Why do PvP

Because it's fun and you can get nice skins from it like a wolf pelt on your shoulders.

PvE is a turd going all the way back to launch?

Again, expansion content is more fun.

The lesson is that first impressions matter. GW2's new player experience is still tremendously shit and showcases the game in the most unflattering manner possible. Who knows how many people have quit GW2 because of it. Anet should have made HoT and S3 free many years ago and start new players at HoT. Who knows how many people never gave WoW a chance either, since the free trial is also abysmal. At least Square Enix has been going back and trying to improve FFXIV's starting experience. Dunno why they're the only one doing that.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
So go ahead and tell me I don't just understand why or when the game is good.
I think most people who do enjoy gw2, enjoy it very casually. The only thing that can give you a sense of progression in this game, is either:
- you making your legendary
- grinding achievement points
- completing Reward Tracks in pvp/expansion zone/WvW
- collecting skins through grinding gold and buying them off the AH or converting gold to gems and buying them in the shop
- doing story
- guild unlocks

most people will do either of these because they simply enjoy doing tasks/chores which are not too complex and just play very very casually and enjoy these very superficial progressions. The upside is you never feel like you're falling behind when you don't play for a while, so people tend to come back from time to time.

GW2 was initially marketed as this anti-thesis to WoW and do things different. So they removed the holy trinity of combat classes, removed gear tread-mill and removed the subscription model. But they also didn't really supplant it with anything. Which is why I advocate for playing a normal RPG instead, because chances are it will have a better story (which isn't gated behind grinding).

-How did you enjoy this turd prior to elite-specializations?
I played gw2 mostly for the WvW where your class skills don't matter that much.

I liked doing the Silverwastes zone, because the organizational challenge there can feel fun even with randoms. The progression of the events in that zone is really nice and I liked doing that Labyrinth at the end. The zone itself is also very well designed. I'm sure the guys who worked on that eventually left ArenaNet, as all talent seemingly does after 6-12 months.

The classes and combat is very samey though. The only real alleviation comes from the many vehicles and special weapons you use around the zones.

-Why do PvP if the PvE is a turd going all the way back to launch?

The regular pvp still boggles my mind, because there are literally 5v5 games out there dedicated to pvp like Smite or DotA. My suspicion is that the regular PvP in gw2 is mostly enjoyed by a small fraction of people who want to play it in spite of the other options and because it has much less competition. Rather be in the top 1% of an unpopular game than in the top 50% of a popular one, that sort of thing.

The WvW I "enjoyed" for a long while, but only because there was actual community involvement there. You met people online and became friends with them. There were server feuds. It provided an endless amount of "content" to play. But it#s not due to the great implementation of the mode, but rather the community involvement. No idea how good it still is, but I eventually quit, because there was like 0 support for that mode from the devs for literal years.

El Presidente

Arcane
Current GW2 is a masterpiece compared to current WoW. But GW1 was the superior game and I think it would be very successful in today's competitive streaming scene. It was way ahead of its time.

Sykar

Arcane
They still want you to pay something like 50 Euros though for all content if you buy the trilogy for 30 and the last xpac for 20. Eh not sure I want to pay 50 Euros for a game that old. Who knows when the servers go down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom