Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Hiveminds final verdict on The Witcher.

Grade it motherfucker

• 5. A fucking modern classic. Be there or be square, and so on and so forth.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 4. Very good. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Good/Decent. If you enjoy RPGs you'll probably get some fun out of this one.

• 2. Meh.

• 1. Crap.

• 0. It's your avarage RPG of the new millenia.

• Total voters

MasPingon

Arcane
Why MotB is a better game? Just curious, I didn't play it yet

vrok

Liturgist
Darkflame said:
I'm not gonna subtract points just cuz my specs are low (i.e. waitingtimes), or the translation wasn't great (Atari). The developers of this game had the balls to break the current trend of dumbing-down games for the masses and deserve alot of praise for it.
Agreed, even though I'm not convinced Atari is solely to blame for the translations.

If I had to subtract points for the dialogue translation errors or otherwise, I'd have to nitpick and subtract points from pretty much every single classic like Fallout and PS:T for god fucking awful combat, flawed character customization (not looks) and some select limited choices. I don't. I consider them fantastic despite their flaws.

There is no perfect game and the poll reflects that in its wording pretty well. I will concede though that the dialogue could be improved and expanded.

I would love to see a future Witcher-styled game with free travel, lockpicking/pickpocketing and proper character creation with an expanded skill system. I'll certainly settle for a direct sequel or two first though.

Edit: MotB is certainly not a better *game*. It has better roleplaying through dialogue (not C&C), yes, but that's the only thing I can mention that surpasses The Witcher. The world, use of logic, journal, characters, crafting (alchemy only in Witcher's case), story... Just no. MotB has far more flaws. It's just more traditional.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Matt7895 said:
No game has created this much positive feedback on the Codex before. At least, not in the couple of years I've been here (as a member, and lurking before that).

2007 is definitely the year of the triumphant return of the old-style RPG. Mask of the Betrayer and The Witcher both in the same month.
And Escalon is about to be released. If it's as good as we hope, then the renaissance is officially here. And IF the second NWN2 expansion is as good as the first one...

Mamon

Scholar
Have they announced a second expansion? All I know is about that premium module, but it will probably be crap.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Purgatorio will probably kick ass. I have much more faith in the Purgatorio trilogy than in the Premium Modules.

Direwolf

Arcane
I voted 5, just because for me The Witcher is the best game that came out this year so far.

suleo

Scholar
I gave it a 4...seems to be the most popular option right now.

Very good game. Chapter 2 and 3 are very very well done. Ch1 is a little slow but it serves as an extended intro. Ch4 is okish, but after the high-tempo and content-filled previous chapters, it was kind of odd.

I am in Ch5 right now though and I have to say, it reminded me of the final chapters of Gothics 1&2. A so-far great game that, on the final chapter (or close to the end), turns into a total hackfest. I won't spoil much but let's just say that running back & forth through a monster-infested area (they keep respawning) to get quest rewards, upgrade armor etc. can get really bothersome really quickly.

Up to now TW was doing good in avoiding standard RPG cliches. Unfortunately, it resorted to the ending chapter "opposing factions clash creating total chaos and you are in the middle so FIGHT" recipe seen in other similar titles. And yea I know this "supports the story" or whatever, but again, that monster-infested area that i have in mind doesn't really mean much story-wise.

But again, this is minor in the grand scheme of things, although it does mean that the game doesn't get a 5 :). And I now want to complete the game so I can replay it as a morally stuck-up assclown (as opposed to an understanding somewhat-do-gooder).

I voted option #4: I was pessimistically expecting Gothic 3 and was pleasantly surprised to get Gothic 1/2.

Balor

Arcane
Well, 'Dungeoin Cleaners' were also released that year and it's also pretty good if you ask me... at least when it comes to setting and such. Too bad it may never get translated, and if it will, it will lose 50% of it's charm, if you can call 'peculiar' atmosphere of a prison planet - charm, heh.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewitcher/review.html?tag=tabs;reviews

Seems gamespot likes it as well. The review is pretty good as far as gamespot goes. They however have some complaints about combat introduction that doesn't make a whole lot of sense and they forget about the long loading times.

Still, it looks like the witcher gets pretty good grades on most sites. Hopefully it will boost sales. I'd love to see another rpg from these polaks.

MountainWest

Scholar
Trash said:
Still, it looks like the witcher gets pretty good grades on most sites. Hopefully it will boost sales. I'd love to see another rpg from these polaks.

Yeah, and even better is that "the people" seem to like it. The comments sections on most sites are filled with praise.

Mayhap this game will work as an eye opener for the avarage joe, meaning we'll see an increased demand for good games in the future.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I would be nice if CDP woud make Fallout 4... yea I know, a really stupid joke.

Solaris

Scholar
A modern classic without question for me. It gets so many things right, but more importantly it's greater than the sum of its parts.

Starwars

Arcane
I must say that I'm slightly surprised at how many people are finding the game *great*.
Nevertheless, I hope the game will sell good to ensure that the developers can make more games.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Trash said:
http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewitcher/review.html?tag=tabs;reviews

Seems gamespot likes it as well. The review is pretty good as far as gamespot goes. They however have some complaints about combat introduction that doesn't make a whole lot of sense and they forget about the long loading times.

Yep, not a bad review.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

voted 3 too, though my initial enthusiasm would have made that 4. then again i m through now and experienced (and enjoyed) a decent game with some fresh breath for the genre (especially given the sad state) but also too many annoying sides to make a true masterpiece. hoping for another game from CD projekt - definitly. hoping for a witcher sequel ? not really.

MountainWest

Scholar
dcb said:
Gosh, no, your poll isn't slanted or anything. :roll:

Bo-fucking-ho. Try playing the game before going out on a one man crusade, eh? But then again, that'd be the rational thing to do and evidently rationality isn't one of your top traits.

But please tell me, poll-master, how'd you like it? Six different degrees of cholera I'm guessing.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
To be honest, I stopped playing at "dwarf cock." Am I a prude? No. Do I want an immersive RPG? Yes. Do pop-culture references and modern cuss words ruin a medieval fantasy RPG for me? Yes
Because in medieval times people didn't knew about oral sex and never joked about it...

Seriously, can't all these retards just find a game with as much pink unicorns as possible and fucking leave us alone?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom