Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Holy Sword: The Ring

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
In my entire life, there's only been one game I've ever taken back to the store. It's an incredibly obscure game - it only has 82 hits on google - and I don't know anyone else who has ever played it. In fact, none of those google hits are people talking about it, they're bizarre Russian metasites spewing unfiltered garbage into the void or people selling pirated copies on ebay. I'm not sure if anybody has ever played this!

7Kt5h.jpg

The game is The Holy Sword: The Ring. That's not actually what the box I had was, although I guess that's what the Russian copy looked like. Awesome. It came in a bulky white box with pictures of characters on it. On the side of the box was a big sticker advertising that the game came with 2 CDs! Incredible! It actually didn't come with two CDs, only one, and it wasn't even in a sleeve. It was a loose CD in an empty cardboard box. It didn't even come with a manual.

ePA0K.png

I didn't want to take the game back. It was terrible - TERRIBLE - but I was 13 and a bad judge of quality. I took it back because it stopped working after the first time I closed it. At first the guy behind the counter wouldn't accept it, but I was finally able to convince him to take it back when I told him it only came with a single CD and didn't have a manual.

CTqlW.png

The Holy Sword: The Ring is a very obvious Final Fantasy Tactics clone. It's hard to believe, but it's actually a PC game. I don't know much about it and there's very little information out there, but I think it's a Taiwanese RPG that was published and localized in the US (and maybe Russia???) in tiny quantities. I only saw a single copy of the game at this one store and I don't know when the game came out - maybe 2000 or 2001?

YHcl1.png

Like in Final Fantasy Tactics, you hire mercenaries and level them up in different jobs. When their job level increases, they can change to new, more powerful jobs. The problem is that the game gives no description of what each job does and didn't come with a manual, so you have no idea what classes are supposed to do or what you're changing your character into. Your main character is Gilbert, a prince, and he seems to be the best character in the game (at least initially) because he can use the strongest weapons and has some very powerful skills exclusive to him.

0tWyk.png

Each job has multiple types of skills, like in Final Fantasy Tactics. The blue text at the bottom of the screen is a very vague description of what each skill does, although many skills just don't have any descriptions at all. Unlike Final Fantasy Tactics, characters have both MP and SP. MP is what characters use for casting spells, but SP is what they use for skills. In FFT, characters could use skills indefinitely, but that doesn't seem to be the case here!

OlJQO.png

RHoa0.png

The combat is pretty bizarre. There's no indicator of how much damage any attack will do or what each of the stats means, so a lot of the time you just do things because you have no idea what you should be doing. Sometimes an attack will deal almost no damage to an enemy one turn, and then it will kill them in one hit in another. Damage formulas seem to be random and stats aren't very important. All of the enemies also have names, although each enemy of a certain type always has the same name. Green wolves (who are actually red) are all named Fred and mercenaries are all named Steve.

VmM78.png

The most notable thing about the game though (the best??) is the dialogue. The translation is completely mangled and almost nothing in the game makes sense. It has the worst translation I've ever seen in a game, worse than Zero Wing or Space Rangers 2 or whatever else. Nothing in the game makes sense! It's just words on your screen. It's pretty awesome. "People with male and female" - they made this game specifically for the Codex.

Dr82z.png

I have no idea what the game is about. Your name is Gilbert and you go out with your father Albert on an adventure. You meet a dwarf who needs help because the holy stone of his tribe was stolen. You chase the thieves and that's about as far as I've gotten. I can't get past the third battle; it's incredibly difficult and you can't save in between battles.

rOwO5.png

The portraits are pretty good! The graphics look alright in the pictures but they're animated really choppily and look kind of bad in the game. They also have a lot of weird compression artifacts.

I've got the ISO if anybody wants it. It's almost 700 MB so I don't know where I could upload it. You probably don't want to google for it - it took me a really long time to find and I had to dig through a bunch of really shady Russian sites to get it. There are also a couple websites selling it, but they're all pirate copies and you'd be better off just pirating it yourself.

Anyway, this is a pretty bizarre game that I thought I'd share with you. This has to be the most obscure game I've ever played. Has anyone else played this, or even heard of this? Are there any other games like this??

Kz3r0

Arcane
All this wall of text and you didn't notice the Zelda cover?
By the way I assume you never heard of the Hong Kong clone industry.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The only thing i can tell you is that it's not japanese: the second kanji used in the "encouragement" screenshot has no meaning in this context.

Still, i feel bad for you for playing this kind of game as a child. If i remember correctly i finished F2 and started PsT when i was 13-14... Sweet memories.

Arpad

Educated
I wouldn't mind a getting a copy. If I managed through Curse of Dragor (the button combat in that makes Ultima VII feel like JA2) I could take a shot at that game.

I remember Day Watch had incredibly bad russian quality translation(parts were still cyrillic) but it still made more sense than those screens.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The only thing i can tell you is that it's not japanese: the second kanji used in the "encouragement" screenshot has no meaning in this context.

Still, i feel bad for you for playing this kind of game as a child. If i remember correctly i finished F2 and started PsT when i was 13-14... Sweet memories.
Haha, I only had the game for a day. Actually, less than a day. I took it back the day I got it - as soon as it stopped working, which was after the first time I ran it. I kind of regret it, though, because this has to be one of the rarest and most obscure games ever released here. There are people selling copies, but these are pirated and everything these guys sell is fake.

I wouldn't mind a getting a copy. If I managed through Curse of Dragor (the button combat in that makes Ultima VII feel like JA2) I could take a shot at that game.
Yeah, I'd like to upload this somewhere but I don't know any sites that would let me put up a 700 MB file. I'm not interested in this because it's good - it's clearly not - but because it's this bizarre and fascinating (and kind of funny) anomaly that represents the possibilities of what else might be out there that nobody knows about.

Ermm

Erudite
I remember torrenting this from Underground-Gamer.com, it was for some time sitting on my hard drive, but I never actually installed it.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
cboyardee, I strongly suggest you play a real gem called 'Silver'. It was a great little rpg released at around the same time, if not a year or two before 2001.

Wacko control scheme, but great game underneath.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Hey, just a heads up, I've taken the ISO down from my dropbox because I've gotten a couple notifications that I'm exceeding my bandwidth. Send me a PM if you still want this.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I'm surprised Mediafire stopped being a Jew and just allows files that are more than 200 mb now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom