Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The "I am actually playing DXHR" thread.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Well, at least by the time the second one comes up you're equipped with the "I WIN" button for bossfights: Maxed out Typhoon.

Is it really that OP? I didn't invest a single point into Typhoon in my playthrough...

The first boss is overrated and there are lots of weapons around in case you don't have any.

nice lore, but the game itself just feels hollow- like theres something missing

True, but the ambience and atmosphere was fucking awesome, comparable to VtM:B imo.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Yes, Max level typhoon really is that OP. I finished off the Invisible Chick in 2-3 uses. Ammo for it is rather cheap as well. In general, money seems to be generally easy to come across, provided you're willing to hack every single computer and terminal.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Haba said:
circ said:
Why are you guys playing this? It has no redeeming qualities, and from what I've read, the ending is a total joke.

Because it is a good game, one of the best during this decade. The closest thing to the original Deus Ex that there is. In before you trying to weasel your way by claiming that the original had much better environment interaction, hacking, gunplay, augmentations and stealth.

:violin:
Gunplay was obviously better in Deus Ex. The only ones who complain are those who did not put enough skill points into a weapon skill. Of course guns won't fire properly if you are not trained in them. Deus Ex could be played entirely as a run and gun game on par with Unreal or other shooters.

Human Revolution was not made as a run and gun game, because recoil is ridiculous in it and aiming accuracy is perpetually bad. You have to wait midgame before you get the augmentations to seriously reduce recoil. Meanwhile, you are forced to play like a cowardly, camping loser who thinks crouching will get him everything in life.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Obviously it was meant for a Renegade interrupt to beat bosses. I kinda like it since boss fights weren't even enjoyable. Money? Well, if you invest in inventory mod early on, you probably can sell off good loot easy. End up with a few hundreds per pistol etc.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Wyrmlord said:
Gunplay was obviously better in Deus Ex. The only ones who complain are those who did not put enough skill points into a weapon skill. Of course guns won't fire properly if you are not trained in them. Deus Ex could be played entirely as a run and gun game on par with Unreal or other shooters.

Human Revolution was not made as a run and gun game, because recoil is ridiculous in it and aiming accuracy is perpetually bad. You have to wait midgame before you get the augmentations to seriously reduce recoil. Meanwhile, you are forced to play like a cowardly, camping loser who thinks crouching will get him everything in life.

Ehm... I could run and gun through the enemies from the first level (before you even have augmentations). Literally run and gun, maybe occasionally shooting a biohazard canister or whatnot.

You are not forced to play like a coward ('cept maybe with the first boss) but you do have to have some skill to survive since fucking up means you die. Add a few augmentations and you'll be pretty much immortal.

Deus Ex was the same, but much easier. I don't consider that an accomplishment.

Neither of the two really encourages running and gunning. Killing people in the original was extremely lackluster, about as much as fun as shooting zombies in System Shock 2.

circ said:
50% of the time I was hiding behind a box, trying to cheese-dick my way through by aiming at some biohazard canisters or whatever. Where's your gunplay now?

You chose to cheese your way. Would you rather have a game that forces you to play in a certain way? I found HR exhilarating exactly because it offers several alternative ways to play the game. Not all of them are equally appealing but the original game was the same.

For a console port, the game takes several steps forward (or backwards, depending on perspective). By no means a perfect game but still an effort that must be commended.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wyrmlord said:
Gunplay was obviously better in Deus Ex. The only ones who complain are those who did not put enough skill points into a weapon skill.
Even with 100% accuracy, gunplay in Deus Ex is still terrible. Not enough oomph, feels like you're shooting airguns.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
I'm with Haba on this one - while I did stealth a lot in my first playthrough, I also restarted the game and tried a more shootery playstyle - and it's definitely playable, just not very forgiving of mistakes (DE difficulty). And saying you have to wait midway to start playing it as a shooter is patently false, sorry. 100% recoil reduction and aim stabilization takes all of 7 aug points - in a game that throws them around casually, you can get that halfway through the first hub (and it isn't necessary before anyway, since enemies die so fast it doesn't matter). While the aug system is mediocre overall, the fact that a small number of augs makes a huge difference in shooting viability and playstyle is actually a positive example within that mess. I wouldn't call it an excellent shooter nor an excellent sneaker, but it's decent as both.

And seriously guys, forget about the boss battles - all 3 boss fights except the final one can be won without a single aug point and no weapons except the stun gun - just run up to the fucker and spam stun gun to the head. Sure, Namir is resistant and will shrug of the effects before you finish reloading the next shot, but this made no real difference when I did it. Like many other things in the game, how bad/difficult something will be is entirely up to the player.

SoupNazi

Not this debate again ...

If anything, going through HR as a shooter is too easy. When you rightclick to look down the sights of any weapon, the first (few in case of some of the guns) shot has 100% accuracy. I suspect it also has some sort of untoggable autoaim, since lining up headshots is far easier than in say, counter-strike, even while you're strafing.

Ultimately, as others have said; it's not a perfect game, but it's leagues above any of the current games. which, by the way, was almost the case of the original as well (except for system shock etc). It deserves recognition, and we can only hope that the developers recognize the success the game has.

Then again, nowadays success = sales, nobody cares about critical acclaim, so we're probably fucked anyway.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Wyrmlord said:

DE gunplay was horrible and derp. Then again, I didn't bother with guns after I've got the LIGHTSABER in Hong Kong. Apart from occasionally shooting someone with plasma gun, just for the lulz.

HR gunplay isn't great but at least it was fun to shoot people. I didn't have problem with hitting and killing stuff with a pistol or SMG, and I didn't max the shooting augmentations, because I've got lots of more important stuff to buy. Actually, spraying people with my silenced SMG was very enjoyable experience ;)

Then again, nowadays success = sales, nobody cares about critical acclaim, so we're probably fucked anyway.

Didn't HR sell good? I thought it was a relative successful game, which gives some hope for future sequels...

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Seriously, load up some honk kong save, cheat to get some weapons, pimp them, then cheat to be trained in the weapon... then massacre everyone

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued

Bollocks. Upgraded pistol (armor penetration augmentation) made it possible to oneshot nearly every enemy with pinpoint accuracy without spending any praxis points in weapon perks. This made using cover completely optional. Don't mean to sound harsh but you implying a run and gun game being difficult only portrays your mouse and keyboard skills in an unfavourable way.

Nope

Liturgist
Seemed fairly decent, if a bit repetetive, when I went through a stealth game a few days ago.
The main storyline just went to complete shit with the AI and everything that followed though.
Most of the fun was had mucking about in the city hub sidequests.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Bollocks. Upgraded pistol (armor penetration augmentation) made it possible to oneshot nearly every enemy with pinpoint accuracy without spending any praxis points in weapon perks. This made using cover completely optional. Don't mean to sound harsh but you implying a run and gun game being difficult only portrays your mouse and keyboard skills in an unfavourable way.
I guess I never bothered using a pistol, because I (wrongly) figured it to be a last resort weapon.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Not as cool as in Alpha Brotocol where you can burst down a boss or clear a whole room in under 5 seconds using the pistol.

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
The first weapon of the game is the most broken weapon in the game.
This statement would be more precise imo. I'm sure it has already been mentioned in the thread. Armor penetration aug also makes it pointless to upgrade pistol damage further than what, 3 bars? What were the devs thinking?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom