Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Joy of Star Trail!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They aren't very bad, but are noticable. I recommend keeping the negative stats high to appreciate how much love is in the game.

Just keep Aberglaube/superstition as low as you can or you'll be fucked. When I rolled my chars I spent a whole three hours on that, so absolutely do not keep compelled to do that if you do not suffer from a lack of things to do.

Skyrage

Novice
If I recall correctly, Dwarves were awesome to start with if you wanted to start with a crapload of money.

And mages should overpower all other magic classes IMO - I found that to be quite accurate actually. Witches were a bit of a nature/magic kind of mix if I remember it right.

Sigh, all these memories - I'm gonna get these games and start playing them again. They definitely don't make these kind of RPG games anymore, but instead churn out crap like Oblivious :(

afewhours

Scholar
Andhaira said:
Lastly, if you thought lowangen is tough, wait till you hit the swamps...

Does this mean I'm completely fucked? Like, Ailian's manparty seemed completely out of my league. I held out for a long time by using the environment, (Denying those pesky archers and mages a clear line of sight!) but it seemed I was completely outgunned. Am I woefully underpowered? Should I be crashing the manparty at this point in the game?

Edit: First post, eh? From one newb to another: welcome to the hivemind, Skyrage! I hope you love level scaling as much as I do!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You know, you aren't much stronger at level 10 than you are at level 5. What you need to use more is Paralue Paralein (turn to stone) and other spells like that, like Evil Eye, Great Greed, Horriphobus, Salander Mutander...

Or just use lightning to paralyze some heavy hitters while you whittle their forces down.

afewhours

Scholar
Jasede said:
You know, you aren't much stronger at level 10 than you are at level 5. What you need to use more is Paralue Paralein (turn to stone) and other spells like that, like Evil Eye, Great Greed, Horriphobus, Salander Mutander...

Ja, Great Need, Horriphobus and Bambaladam form the main wedge of my attack. I miss having Evil Eye though - I remember trying out the pre-genned party, and it was funny watching the enemy hack itself to pieces.

EDIT: I reloaded. This time when I went into the manparty, I only had to fight about 6 losers instead of the previous 12-15 archer/mage firestorm. I raped them all with my controller spells, got loads of stuff, and now I'm off to look for the path out.

Party's shaping up quite nicely. Even the rogue can hold a front by going melee. So... was it the swamp next? Something to look forward to.

Andhaira

Arcane
Cool, though they should still have had at least ONE mage with them, I think.

Anyhow, the swamp is I think north of Lowangen. Be careful of the rantzee's; they can be tough. The swamp is aklso a place where you can get one killer of a disease(forgot the name), so careful there as well. Lastly conserve your resources, becuase the swamp is just a pathway to the real dungeon inside of it, the wizards tower! (and thats a tough fucking place!)

Also, please level up at least ONE of the summoning spells in demonology. Summons in this game are totally different from other crpg's; they are not fodder. The demon you summon from blood and salother (heshthot) or the other one (zhant) can rip your own party into shreds all by itself. Don't even ask what it can do to your enemies if you manage to control it. (demons are immune to normal weapons; they dish out horrific damage, they have a ton of hp's. In a game where magic items and mages are very rare, well basically you get the idea.)

Also try to get the skeletarious spell (also in demonology). Summons zombies, easy to cast, easy to control, quite effective.

Also, the spell that turns enemies into mushrooms is cool. (its touch though, so careful)

I'm kind of tempted to fire up Sternenschweif again. Last time I checked Dosbox wouldn't recognize the discs though and I had to, er, abandonware a disk version from somewhere. Riva worked just fine. Odd that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Andhaira said:

I don't remember a dungeon in the swamp. There's a tower, yes, but it's only-

Ooooh, I know. You're confusing DSA/RoA 2 with 3 - the swamp in 3 has a tower, the one in 2 does too, but it's not a dungeon.

Or is my memory off? I can't imagine it is.

Chork

Scholar
Jasede said:
They aren't very bad, but are noticable. I recommend keeping the negative stats high to appreciate how much love is in the game.

Just keep Aberglaube/superstition as low as you can or you'll be fucked. When I rolled my chars I spent a whole three hours on that, so absolutely do not keep compelled to do that if you do not suffer from a lack of things to do.
Alright, guess I'll stick with 'em. No point in wasting an hour rolling up a new batch, and editing stats just seems... icky.

And I made sure to keep Superstition low. Magic seems to be the only thing my party doesn't find terrifying.

Jasede said:
Andhaira said:
Ooooh, I know. You're confusing DSA/RoA 2 with 3 - the swamp in 3 has a tower, the one in 2 does too, but it's not a dungeon.

Or is my memory off? I can't imagine it is.

Dungeon or not - it's an area you get to travel in 3d mode (cities, dungeons) instead of map overview mode.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
No... I am sure there is no other area in the swamp in RoA 2. There's just the swamp. There -is- a tower, but it just gives you 2D screen and a riddle.

Andhaira

Arcane
Yes jasede is correct! A mage appears and gives you a riddle! The swamp itself is the 'dungeon'...but I could have sworn you actually fight the wizard in the tower at some point (he makes 2 illusionary doubles of himself at the get go...or was that in riva?)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Damn, I just looked up a SoR walkthrough, and there is a ton of stuff I don't remember, which isn't surprising since I don't remember much beyond the Feylamia, the demon and the hive.

I so need to play this again.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Jasede said:

Or is my memory off?
I can't help much, but I'm 100% sure there IS a tower on the swamp in SoA 3.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
But that's what I said... The swamp in 3 has a tower. So does the swamp in 2, but in 2, the tower is no dungeon.

*wrote

Teja

Novice
onemananadhisdroid said:
I'm kind of tempted to fire up Sternenschweif again. Last time I checked Dosbox wouldn't recognize the discs though and I had to, er, abandonware a disk version from somewhere. Riva worked just fine. Odd that.

I encountered the same difficulties mounting the discs, but adding some arguments helped.
"mount d /mnt/dvd -t cdrom -usecd 0" with 0 being the number of my cdrom drive.
source

Since it's a good opportunity I also like to point to a rather recent interview with Guido Henkel (if you don't know who he is, maybe you should start reading the credits of the games you play), it's a nice read for everyone who can understand German.

fastjack

Augur
re

i absolutely love star trail. It just gives a great sense of adventuring.

I remember back when i tried SoR that it had a really cool PnP feel, with narrated scenes and those cool full screen art pieces, though i didnt make it too far as my non imported party got RAPED in the swamp iirc.

though my party creating skills are not geared toward efficiancy

afewhours

Scholar
Andhaira said:
Also, please level up at least ONE of the summoning spells in demonology.

Yep. I've been levelling up Blood and Furore. I haven't really used it, as I try and save all my spell points for the controller spells! Perhaps it's time to get a bit more cavalier?

Raapys

Arcane
Anyone have some advice for dungeon crawling? I've followed most of the hints here in regards to party build-up and such, and it's working out great so far. However, I just entered my first 'dungeon' so to speak( a temple on that island thingy ), and this is where I've encountered a couple of problems.

While I win the battles easily enough, I also lose a bit of health in the progress. This, in addition to some of the traps that do damage, causes me to have to rest alot to regain the lost hit points. Unfortunately this means I eventually run out of water( I carry 2 on each char ) and oil for my light( currently using lanterns ), since I have to relit it after every rest.

I'd normally be less careful and not rest so much, but I'd rather not waste xp points saving the game.

Also, does anyone know the name of a Light spell? O_O I'm finding the complete lack of descriptions on spells and items in the game a little awkward.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Hah, hmm. Well, see, the game assumes you have the (very good) manual.

So let's see.

For light, if you have a wizard, before venturing into that dungeon, have him enchant his staff in an inn; it will be a permanent torch. You should keep a tinderbox and one, two torches around regardless, you never know - and your wizard might die, after all.

For health, try not to rest. Try to use the Treat Wounds skill. That, and resting, is basically the traditional way. Now, some might call it cheesy, but it's actually a perfectly legitimate tactic and has been in the old DSA rules for a long time before it was revised: bring... bring... umm.

I forgot the name. Bring... uh... see, there's two herbs that cure wounds. One is called... "oneberry"? "somethingberry", yeah. It cures 4 hitpoints, no questions asked, and is very cheap. And then there's the other, in German, "Wirselkraut"; that'll cure like 10 hitpoints, just by eating it. Get some of these and your problems are in the past.

I hope some of the fellows here can tell you the English names, I honestly forgot. But get those herbs.

There's also some healing spellls: if you have a witch her... umm... "witch saliva" or something spell cures disease, restores hp, and cures poison, or somesuch, all at once. And then there's, I think, "balsam salabunde" which ought to be a healing spell nearly all spellcasters are proficient with, which you could also use. However, I consider astral energy more important than hp...

(I said cheesy because it's tempting to carry 50 of those on each character and, when wounded, just eat yourself back to full health. Then again, you might argue it isn't cheesy, but rather, convenient - an alternative to resting.)

Sorry for not being very helpful, it's late. Good night.

edit: every character can learn intuition skills; two skills in that category... one is danger sense and the other I forgot. It's a good idea to always raise both of these on a level up. This will reduce trap-damage by a huge, huge degree as most traps require checks on either of those two skills to even trigger.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Basically go google some guides for Herbology & Magic + Basic Adventuring Supplies and you're set.

I got tired of reading the manual when I was young, so I nevr finished it.

Raapys

Arcane
Ah, thanks alot Jasede, that should make things easier.

I did have a (.pdf ) manual or guide, but for some strange reason the part about spells had apparantly been cut out of it, because I found another on the net which has more content and actually describes what the spells do.

I had a look at the whole wand thing and I've decided to just stay at a tavern until I've got all enchantments for my two magicians. Less cost for spells, permanent torches and ropes all in one simple staff? O_O Yeah baby!

Andhaira

Arcane
Theres also a light spell; forget the name. Its in the transmutation college.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom