Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Spell - city defense tactical RPG with roguelite mechanics - now with Dwarves of Runenberg DLC

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think they just added the achivements and they are not retroactive (at least not for me) so everybody should be getting them new. But game was really cheap when I got it in early access.

Second map is where the fun is at. Longer night with many new type of undeads and their elite versions. Also they come from the 4 sides and sometimes even from the corners.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Welp, Lakeburg's boss kicked my ass proper but mostly my fault getting 2 sub optimal heroes. How many times I have to kill that sonuvabitch?

New day, new team, new weapons and new hope! Going for a paladin with 2 handed hammer and power staff, on druid for mass debuffing and poisoning. Tome, hand crossbow and short/longbows for others.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Managed to "win" the Lakeburg map on my second try. This time I was ready for the "Nessie". Last wave is brutal, one small fuck up and you'll lose that wall. I miscalculated and one of my men got stunned which caused a chain reaction of more fuck ups. Still managed to win with just losing some minor buildings and defences.

Killed the boss with my uber 1 handed crossbow and dagger user. She had nice poison perks and found really nice equipment with +multi hit on hit. Managed to kill boss on his turn with huge amount of poison.

there were two 4 skull waves and two 3 skull waves.
First 4 skull wave held heroicly by a druidic staff/scepter user. Poison and entagle OP. Contamination for spreading it and scepter for mobility, killing single targets.
Second 4 skull wave held by a full mage with tome and wand. Strugled a bit with this one because of unlucky lightning chains and huge amount of monsters so hand crossbow lady helped a bit.
One of the 3 skull waves were held by a shortbow user and my paladin using power staff and hammer. They managed good kills but wave was really scattered and got some more monsters from other waves.
Last wave(another 3 skull) was held by a barbarian using great axe. Seriously, this weapon rocks right now. You just need another good one that gives you more mobility or utility but 2handed axe itself clear packs with ease. Only problem is friendly fire in his case. He was the last one I recuited so his gear is a bit thrash but 1 good axe was enough. Paired with a great sword but didn't use it much except single target killings.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hand Crossbow is my favourite weapon I think. Not the most OP ceiling, but definitely the most versatile.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Started the second town last night, but had to stop for sleep.

Everything was going great until the second to last night, where I accidentally had my mage chain lightning a big group that was connected (diagonally) to one of my heavy armor reflect tanks, which almost killed him—and unfortunately his damage reflect (I think) killed my mage. Then, not longer after that a spearman pierced the tank’s armor/block and killed him—so I lost 2 mercs on the night before the boss to a wave that should have been easily manageable.

I was able to last until morning, despite losing quite a few walls—during production I prioritized grabbing materials + gold so I was able to hire decent replacements for both dead units and rebuild all my outer walls + a little bit of an inner wall deeper in the town.

No idea what the boss is, but my set up is: two archers in watchtowers on top right and left, mage in watchtower on bottom left, scepter/power staff on right side with lots of stuns to delay, the new tank on left side with mana shield, vampirism + a couple scrolls to spam big physical damage aoe, and finally my other block tank on the bottom with a spear + sword/dagger.

Going to try taking on the boss later today. Still enjoying the game a lot.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Wowza, lake monster got me :D Avoided any spoilers, so used a lot of resources killing the first head, then wasn't prepared to keep defending while it took its time coming back up. I think I killed 4 tentacles and 2 heads. I under-estimated the game and it got me. If another head would have come up I think I could have killed it in 1 turn again, but it didn't re-surface before they got in to my mage.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Wowza, lake monster got me :D Avoided any spoilers, so used a lot of resources killing the first head, then wasn't prepared to keep defending while it took its time coming back up. I think I killed 4 tentacles and 2 heads. I under-estimated the game and it got me. If another head would have come up I think I could have killed it in 1 turn again, but it didn't re-surface before they got in to my mage.
Just hold on a bit longer, you were nearly there!

Kaivokz

Arcane
Just hold on a bit longer, you were nearly there!
Hah, turns out I was one round from victory!

Tried Lakeburg again earlier this week and cleared it no problem; having the meta-knowledge about the boss makes it a lot easier, so I'm glad I went in blind for my first attempt.

I decided to do Glenwald on Apocalypse I for my first attempt because of how quickly enemies were dying in Lakeburg. The begining of Glenwald was tough, but once I got some heroes rolling it wasn't bad. Took some screenshots:

0wAgERd.jpg
Cby9B4p.jpg
VDsJ40F.jpg
8DNUP8B.jpg

WdMoZtq.jpg
69pgT54.jpg

t3vsptA.jpg

jRPB7FJ.jpg

yyeNN2k.jpg
Haniel had no sustain and was a later addition to the group, so he sacrificed himself near the end (had a great damage bonus due to body builder, though). Jonko had some crazy multi-hit with wand + two crossbows, and third eye is ridiculous with multihit; every other attack has vision. Tom and Grigory had the blood magic + vampirism combo, making them pretty much unstoppable: physical scrolls + teleport scrolls are very good on that build. Thomas had 95% dodge buffed & organic armor, making him almost unkillable as well. All of those characters could kill anything that spawned in 1 turn. Eleonora was the only one without massive single target killing potential, but her purpose was to spread mass poison; I made the mistake of equipping a tome on her because it had + poison damage %, but having another druid staff for more poison spread would have been better.

Some other thoughts:
I decided not to use any ballistae this time, since in Lakeburg I built 40 and had one character with the defense kills give bonus exp perk and it was a lot of exp (I think he ended at level 13). Having 2+ characters with bonus exp from defenses perk and a ton of defenses would be very strong; it would grant more EXP overall to your party than you could get otherwise.

I also went 4 melee to have one on each wall for their mobility and clearing potential, as well as having boss killing potential on every side.

Used potion thrower omen to chuck potions all over the map: mostly useful for condition immunity, but AP, move and damage potions are all good.

Also used the +1 max houses, which allows resources scaling much faster.

My base building was a little screwed up, because I misplaced a few things. My intention was: build a smaller town with 4-5 spaces of "buildable" land outside of the walls. This achieves a few things: (1) less resources required to build a full wall, so much easier to build into a second wall layer, (2) less distance to travel if a hero needs to switch sides for any reason, and (3) enemies die closer to the haven in general, which spawns more corpses. Having "turrets" in the wall (blocks of 4 walls) is a good strategy, because the enemies will focus on the two outer walls, rather than the inner walls (and because of the grid, having 4 enemies surrounding a turret is the same as having 4 lined up against a flat wall), which slows down their progress. Think in the future I might build watchtowers into the walls, since they impede movement through the town.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this game still. It's a great balance of strategy (in omens / unlocks / hero choice & build / item choice) + tactics.

Trying to decide if I go Apocalypse I or II for my first Elderlicht attempt. If I go II I'll probably go ballistae heavy and fish for some defenses perk line heroes to scale fast.

Skorpion

Educated
Jaedar made the error of asking for my impressions, and as is my wont, I ended up writing a short novel, so I guess I can post it here as well for anyone who is interested in the game:

The Last Spell is a roguelike, which is a genre I conceptually love but where I've found few actual games I enjoy. The reason I normally don't enjoy these games is that the base mechanics can be superficial or play second fiddle to the progression systems that are at the heart of the genre. The Last Spell is kind of the reverse. The emphasis is put squarely on core gameplay, with a few very tested, very diverse scenarios in a clear story structure with balanced difficulty which each test your capability with the game in different ways with a variety of content.

The main reason The Last Spell is gewd is that it succeeds completely in its core conceit: blow up fuckhueg waves of zombies with a wide variety of tactics - from aoe spells, melee bonks, spreading poisons, in-your-face-coned gunblasts to non-hero stuff like traps and buildings. The combat is really fun and the presentation is GREAT; very satisfying sound and graphics when you beat up shit, slow, loud, pounding heavy metal running to the beat of the combat, simple and effective pixel art with lightning fast animations that can be sped up to insane speeds (though this is one of the few TB games where I rarely speed up combat animations because they're already moving by in a flash).

Forgetting about all the game's systems and its structure and all that, it's just immensely, kinetically satisfying to nuke incrementally bigger waves of enemies with these skills within this presentation.

Basically in each scenario/map, you start with a couple of heroes and a run-down base. Game plays on a day/night cycle. Every day you improve your base, level up your heroes, spend resources and manage defenses and upgrades. Every night a humongous horde of zombies attack (think enemy numbers in the hundreds), and your 3 (early on) to 6 (lategame) heroes have to defend your base in turn-based combat.

The character system is simple but extremely sturdy. Basically, every hero's active skills are defined solely by the weapon they equip, but each hero is unique in three ways:
(1) their three starting perks, which have a massive impact
(2) their skill tree, which consists of three base skill lines (melee, ranged, magic) with randomized perks in each individual tree (for example, the magic tree's initial perk can be two different mana perks) as well as two random archetype trees and 2 additional utility... ish... trees with a bunch of random stuff in them
(3) when heroes level up, you get to choose to level up 6 stats - but these stats are randomized out of a massive pool of attributes, so you don't have full control over build paths, and your heroes will vary depending on what great selections they get offered here. For a basic example, you might not plan to focus on crits, but then on level 3 you get an excellent Crit Chance stat in your pool and you decide "ok imma make a crit build". You can re-roll to get a new selection, but each time you do, the amount of stats on offer is narrowed, so you have to be careful

What this ends up doing is that you can both plan out a wide selection of builds depending on the uniqueness of your toon, but within those builds you make changes and roll with the punches of what you get.

Of course on top of the game has a couple of metaprogression systems as any self-respecting roguelike should, such as unlocking qualitative upgrades like new buildings, weapon sets and so on, adding stats, making certain things easier and so forth, or systems that allow you to scale up the enemies but get certain perks.

The metaprogression is basically as good as in any good roguelike, but the gameplay is much more meaty. It's also wonderfully focused; instead of wasting your time with an infinite procedually generated dungeon, it tasks you with completing unique scenarios with their own designed variables, and the gameplay diversity comes from your upgrade choices as well as all the variables that can change within a given unique scenario.

EDIT: oh, and conservaspergs like BING XI needn't worry, you can fully customize hero looks to banish randomized lesbian pixie haircuts from your game if you so choose
Somehow this game completely flew under my radar, thanks for the impressions on it. Wishlisted!!! (I probably just missed it on steam sale :oops:)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
EDIT: DISREGARD THIS POST, I SUCK COCKS (I thought this was the Van Helsing thread, Last Spell is awesome, buy it)

Jaedar made the error of asking for my impressions, and as is my wont, I ended up writing a short novel, so I guess I can post it here as well for anyone who is interested in the game:

The Last Spell is a roguelike, which is a genre I conceptually love but where I've found few actual games I enjoy. The reason I normally don't enjoy these games is that the base mechanics can be superficial or play second fiddle to the progression systems that are at the heart of the genre. The Last Spell is kind of the reverse. The emphasis is put squarely on core gameplay, with a few very tested, very diverse scenarios in a clear story structure with balanced difficulty which each test your capability with the game in different ways with a variety of content.

The main reason The Last Spell is gewd is that it succeeds completely in its core conceit: blow up fuckhueg waves of zombies with a wide variety of tactics - from aoe spells, melee bonks, spreading poisons, in-your-face-coned gunblasts to non-hero stuff like traps and buildings. The combat is really fun and the presentation is GREAT; very satisfying sound and graphics when you beat up shit, slow, loud, pounding heavy metal running to the beat of the combat, simple and effective pixel art with lightning fast animations that can be sped up to insane speeds (though this is one of the few TB games where I rarely speed up combat animations because they're already moving by in a flash).

Forgetting about all the game's systems and its structure and all that, it's just immensely, kinetically satisfying to nuke incrementally bigger waves of enemies with these skills within this presentation.

Basically in each scenario/map, you start with a couple of heroes and a run-down base. Game plays on a day/night cycle. Every day you improve your base, level up your heroes, spend resources and manage defenses and upgrades. Every night a humongous horde of zombies attack (think enemy numbers in the hundreds), and your 3 (early on) to 6 (lategame) heroes have to defend your base in turn-based combat.

The character system is simple but extremely sturdy. Basically, every hero's active skills are defined solely by the weapon they equip, but each hero is unique in three ways:
(2) their skill tree, which consists of three base skill lines (melee, ranged, magic) with randomized perks in each individual tree (for example, the magic tree's initial perk can be two different mana perks) as well as two random archetype trees and 2 additional utility... ish... trees with a bunch of random stuff in them
(3) when heroes level up, you get to choose to level up 6 stats - but these stats are randomized out of a massive pool of attributes, so you don't have full control over build paths, and your heroes will vary depending on what great selections they get offered here. For a basic example, you might not plan to focus on crits, but then on level 3 you get an excellent Crit Chance stat in your pool and you decide "ok imma make a crit build". You can re-roll to get a new selection, but each time you do, the amount of stats on offer is narrowed, so you have to be careful

What this ends up doing is that you can both plan out a wide selection of builds depending on the uniqueness of your toon, but within those builds you make changes and roll with the punches of what you get.

Of course on top of the game has a couple of metaprogression systems as any self-respecting roguelike should, such as unlocking qualitative upgrades like new buildings, weapon sets and so on, adding stats, making certain things easier and so forth, or systems that allow you to scale up the enemies but get certain perks.

The metaprogression is basically as good as in any good roguelike, but the gameplay is much more meaty. It's also wonderfully focused; instead of wasting your time with an infinite procedually generated dungeon, it tasks you with completing unique scenarios with their own designed variables, and the gameplay diversity comes from your upgrade choices as well as all the variables that can change within a given unique scenario.

EDIT: oh, and conservaspergs like BING XI needn't worry, you can fully customize hero looks to banish randomized lesbian pixie haircuts from your game if you so choose
Somehow this game completely flew under my radar, thanks for the impressions on it. Wishlisted!!! (I probably just missed it on steam sale :oops:)

So far it's only been worth it for the first four chapters which I enjoyed very much. Chapter 5 and 6 have been very poor thus far unfortunately :(

Last edited:

Skorpion

Educated

So far it's only been worth it for the first four chapters which I enjoyed very much. Chapter 5 and 6 have been very poor thus far unfortunately :(
About how many hours have you gotten out of it? Also what made the quality dip in 5 and 6 for you?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Lol, I thought this was the Van Helsing thread :lol: Last Spell is fucking awesome, buy it dude. No reservations.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Yeah go buy it, it's cheap for such a repeatable game. Really satisfying combat mixed with satisfying progression.

Nearly finished the 3rd village, quite easly thanks to some strange enemy attack formations. They kept coming from the corners so I just had to defend 2 positions for most of the time.
But at boss wave they are coming from everywhere! And boss is kinda standart now, at least mage says that there are more in the woods.
I like how different each map feels. 3rd map has lots of trees and undestructable objects that hinder your sight which led me to get "vision" perk for 2 of my men.
I also like how useful every weapon and build is right now. Sure shortbow and hand crossbow are still one step ahead with minimal investment. Only weapon that I'm not really fond of is rifle and that because it's basic ability is a costly 1 target ability. But even that is useful in isolation builds.
My main boss killers are momentum and opportunism mixed builds right now. My guy with a pant and wooden weapon critting poor undead for 1600 damage,1 shooting every undead and 2 shooting small bosses.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I bought this, played the first map over two sessions, third session started second map, played one wave and then quit, and haven't really felt the urge to come back.

It's not a bad game, and when I sit down with it time flies, but I also don't really feel an urge to play it any more. I think it's mainly down to how large the waves are, and how much repeated clicking it takes to deal with them.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
when I sit down with it time flies

mediocre game 5/10 :D

I think it's mainly down to how large the waves are, and how much repeated clicking it takes to deal with them.

Yeah, you're on to something. With the amount of hours I'm putting into this thing I can't complain, but it's definitely a game I can't play for, say, an entire weekend without breaks.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
mediocre game 5/10 :D
I mean, kinda?
Just being engaged with something is not a good mark of quality, unless you want to argue tiktok is the greatest entertainment known to man. And I guess I don't feel I'm getting much interesting decision making or strategy from this (no good story or 'artistry' either, but it's clearly not going for that).

It's a popcorn game for me I guess, if I was bored and had nothing else to do I might pick it up, but I'd rather try to 100% a game I've already spent 100+ hours in than play this for a 5th hour.

No shade on anyone who enjoys it, it's just not for me apparently.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There are very few good popcorn games in my collection, so I'll take one I'll like. Don't really disagree with you, in fact I think you're kind of spot on, I just don't view it as a bad thing.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
when I sit down with it time flies, but I also don't really feel an urge to play it any more.

This kinda happens to me with all them rogue-like games. But for some unknown reasons I was able to keep playing The Last Spell till now.
I'm also playing Against the Storm and Terraformes and while they are addicting little fuckers, I don't easly go back to playing them once first rush ends.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
For me I play most roguelikes for 1-3 hours and then drop them. With this one it was different. Faster Than Light is a good example of what typically happens when I like a roguelike: I play it for 3 hours, it doesn't really click even though I like the systems, so I close it down. Come back in half a year and go "didn't I kind of enjoy this?" play it for 3 hours more, shut it down.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Ishtar Games is a French indie studio based in Lille and Bordeaux (France). Formerly known as “CCCP”, we have been creating games since 2005.

At Ishtar Games, we are committed to celebrating diversity, whether it’s within our teams or the games we develop. We respect equal employment opportunities, as well as non-discriminatory treatment of applications. We welcome everyone – without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or any other characteristic protected by laws – and believe diversity is the greatest of strength. Joining Ishtar Games means working with video games enthusiasts, in a caring and human-sized team. Every day, we build and sustain together a safe environment for everyone. Come and join us!

Team_Gamecamp2022-1.png

https://ishtar.games/

Kaivokz

Arcane
Was able to beat the Erdlicht on Ascended II.
T31VHMB.jpg
EMUKC73.jpg
BOYx6uN.jpg
wlL9DkI.jpg
2v4Qe5R.jpg
Gc153SC.jpg
jfORDZI.jpg
WWCObgT.jpg
tbdN4Kv.jpg
oeUyQUh.jpg
ChH2HlG.jpg
fPb2vNA.jpg
Inb2Oow.jpg
IAnc5bD.jpg
4pbbvIs.jpg
34XkXgV.jpg
It was a little rocky in the beginning, ended up losing 2 heroes (as you can see) and lost a mage somewhere in the middle. One round I lost both a mage and a hero to the same enemy: one of those big tentacled mages who go 100% damage immune and then charge up the giant laser. I had no magic users at that point and not much resistance piercing, so he blasted through a mage and my hero and some buildings all in one go.

After that, I recruited a magic user and picked up the final tier piercing talent for 100% resist negation on my mage. I wanted to go 4 melee heroes, but RNG ended up giving me a great multi-hit character / gear, so I built crossbows instead of a 4th melee. Going into the final night I had about 2000 gold to re-roll the shop with. I also ended up going with my defenses strategy: 40 max upgraded ballistae, 12 catapults. The level 15/16 characters all had the defenses XP share trait.

Quite fun, but second half of the city was mostly a cake walk; you can see in my kill totals that my melee characters were the group clearers. High mobility, high AP, high dodge. Donatien and Uhtred had the perfect quad of body builder, vampirism, organic armor and blood magic.

I was able to figure out the trick to this map early enough:
get lots of mobility, build teleport squares around. For the boss I was able to extinguish all fires the first turn they spawned, between mobility weapons / teleport / blink + teleport squares, which I placed around the sides of most brazier areas.

Now the question is, should I try Ascended III on the next city? I think if I go melee heavy, like I normally do, the cloudy mist won't be too much trouble...

edit- I left the game running a few times while doing errands / other things, so the 18 hours is not accurate to how long it actually took.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Been playing around with Vampiric and Spiky melee builds, and they are pretty powerful and not least fun. In particular I've been a fan of axes with Vampiric builds. The main reason ranged always ends up overtaking them is less because of raw power (actually fleshed out melee builds often overtake ranged builds there) but lack of flexibility. I feel like a few more movement options would go along way to bring melee builds up to snuff. When shit really goes down and you need to be in a certain spot, melees are often SOL without a teleporter.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom