Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Lord of the Rings Online - Corsairs of Umbar expansion out now

ADL

Prophet
Not sure if endgame raid viable but you could totally do 1-140 no problem with it. Man form only beorning is just a champion with half the buttons and a weak heal. I'd recommend just going champion if you don't want to use the bear form though. You'll probably dislike the extremely limited combat rotation.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure if endgame raid viable but you could totally do 1-140 no problem with it. Man form only beorning is just a champion with half the buttons and a weak heal. I'd recommend just going champion if you don't want to use the bear form though. You'll probably dislike the extremely limited combat rotation.
Champion seems a bit too civilized.

Cromwell

Arcane
I liked what I played until now espercially the shire was very hobbity. But I just cant do epc quests for the fellowship. I dont want to be the guy that runs errands for strider or other members of the felowship, I would have loved it if they would have been mentioned once in a while but the ontent of your story would concentrate on other stuff that was going on while the others were running towards mordor, as it is it feels to much like fanfiction for my taste (however good it is written).

I dont want to be the guy that runs errands for strider or other members of the felowship, I would have loved it if they would have been mentioned once in a while but the ontent of your story would concentrate on other stuff that was going on while the others were running towards mordor
Largely the first volume and then later on there's the expansion (Moria) is this. They do front load a lot of interaction with some of the fellowship characters early on but most of Shadows of Angmar revolves around working for the Rangers or Elrond to protect Eriador from various threats in the absence of the fellowship. I'd say Breeland and the Trollshaws in the base game are the worst offenders for being the errand boy for the fellowship.

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
I am blown away by the quality of the quests and overall story. For an MMO, this is next level stuff, and it's quite old. It has been very easy so far but I only just started.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Goddamnit fine I will try it then. Installed and uninstalled already due to what one friend said but I will make my own decisions here...kinda.

ADL

Prophet
Spent a couple hours in Echoes of Angmar's stress test tonight and while I was impressed at how well the server ran compared to the live ones, playing it for 5 minutes will make you appreciate all the gameplay changes and QoL you take for granted now. Not sure if I'm particularly interested in trading 15 years of content for better server performance and no cash shop.

The content in the live game is good and worth paying for. EoA is a nice novelty and proof of concept for emulating later versions of the game if it ever becomes necessary but for now, it isn't so I'll just stick to live. At the very least I hope this lights a fire under SSG's ass to get the server performance fixed.

Which reminds me, Before the Shadow just went up for pre-order this week. $20 for the expansion that covers levels 1-32 as an alternative.

ADL

Prophet
When are they going to add Morfydd Clark Galadriel?
Not soon enough
rating_negativeman.png

ADL

Prophet
Get caught up in time for the upcoming Before the Shadow Expansion with a special coupon Code that will let you acquire many currently-available quest packs permanently on your account(s)! However, you will need to act quickly, as this Coupon Code is only available to redeem through October 31st, 2022.

The Coupon Code is: FREEQUESTS2022 (1/Account, available to redeem through October 31st, 2022)

This Coupon Code will grant the following to your game account:

• Quest Pack: Central Gondor
  • Quest Pack: East Gondor
  • Quest Pack: West Gondor
  • Quest Pack: Old Anórien
  • Region Pack: Far Anórien
  • Quest Pack: March of the King
  • Quest Pack: Battle of the Black Gate
  • Quest Pack: Legacy of the Necromancer
  • Quest Pack: Where Dragons Dwell
  • Quest Pack: The Vales of Anduin
  • Quest Pack: Mists of Wilderland
  • Quest Pack: The Wildwood
  • The Further Adventures of Bilbo Baggins
  • Quest Pack: The Blood of Azog
  • Quest Pack: Rangers and Ruins
  • Quest Pack: Yondershire

Additionally, enjoy a limited time sale on select Expansion quests in the LOTRO Store where you will be able to pick up the following items for only 99 points through October 31st, 2022:

• Mordor
  • War of Three Peaks
  • Minas Morgul

We hope this helps to get you and your friends ready for all the excitement of the Before the Shadow Expansion this fall!

Sincerely,

The teams at Standing Stone Games'

NrgVOO2.png

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
^ Do this even if you have done the other coupons. There's stuff in there that wasn't in the others. Now the only one I'm missing is the very recent "The Further Adventures of Elladan and Elrohir" for $2.95.
tu1jf9qcvtq91.png

I can't get into the game for some reason. I log in, choose my server, click play, and nothing happens. Worked until last week. I updated my nShittia drivers yesterday, I wonder if that caused it.

edit: nope, rolled back and still can't get in. I did all steps in this:

https://help.standingstonegames.com...icking-play-on-the-launcher-?mobile_site=true

And nothing worked. Also redownloaded all the game files (35gb) and no cigar. Guess I'll just uninstall.

edit: full uninstall and reinstall fixed it.

Last edited:
How's the experience if you beeline the main story quests? I don't have the patience for MMO filler in //currentyear and although I think Middle Earth is pretty well realized here, I don't want to kill x bandits/wolves/whatever every 20 minutes.

ADL

Prophet
They showed off one of the two new zones from 'Before the Shadow' and briefly discusssed their plans to visually overhaul the base game's zones. Their 'remastering' efforts (character assets/UI/zone overhauls) will likely be spread across several updates and not just one big release next year.

https://www.lotro.com/before-the-shadow
How's the experience if you beeline the main story quests? I don't have the patience for MMO filler in //currentyear and although I think Middle Earth is pretty well realized here, I don't want to kill x bandits/wolves/whatever every 20 minutes.
I thought the same thing but the authenticity to Tolkien really elevates basic quests that would otherwise bore me to death. It has been a very long time since I did the early MSQ and I don't know how it is now but you're not gonna be beelining epic quests exclusively. You're gonna have to kill the boars and run errands quite a bit.

Just keep in mind that the game becomes grander in scale as the story progresses. Especially if you start as man or hobbit.

Codex Year of the Donut
Good, and gets better the further you go. I detailed my progress a few pages or so back from when I went through it.

LotRO is next to MERP in the very, very small list of Middle Earth-branded things that qualify as "nearly as good as Tolkien", and coincidentally pulls a good deal of material from MERP.
The people who made it are the kind of people that went through the trouble of making sure even the options menu had period correct spelling e.g., connexion instead of connection.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When you hit level 111(eleventy-first) it gives you 3 loaves of bread 1 lump of butter
I think nobody got this :(

Bilbo was 111 when he told Gandalf he felt stretched, like too little butter over too much bread.
Didn't even see this post.

I gotta say I'm still dicking around in the Bree lands but the landscape is easily the most beautiful I have seen.
Though I guess I will be amending this statement soon.

One thing that's confused the hell out of me in regard to these free Quest Packs is whether or not they're actually the full expansion packs. If not, where does one buy the actual expansions? Do you need to sub first or something? If I own the QPs do I already own the Expansions?

I just had a "proper" MMO experience in LOTRO and it hit me in the feelz.

I was mooking around the Southern Barrows trying to solo the Great Barrow on my Beorning but couldn't quite manage to finish it. Then I flagged a couple of other people who were walking around, we grouped and did the 3 instances in a row - none of them had ever done them before, and the last time I did them was like 15 years ago so I didn't remember jack shit.

We figured it out, killed some wights, and had a blast. Everyone was civil, communicative, and we finished the goal. Rewards sucked ass but no one cared. I got a couple levels and a little memory of what these games were supposed to be, once upon a time.

The advantage of a game like this, which is very old and has a lot of pay to win shit on the store, is that a lot of people just play to have fun in the leveling zones, few give a shit about gear or grinding or any of it. I'm having loads of fun just revisiting the vistas from the books. The expanded, filled-in stuff is also good to great. It's too bad the regular combat in the game is so bad and piss easy, but that's true of every MMO out there, so not a big deal. I've played around 17 hours and I'm level 22 on my toon. Haven't even left the Bree area yet. Everything is so huge.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Alright I think I'm sold, I mean I tried this ages ago and didn't think it too remarkable back then, but games like this really aren't a dime a dozen anymore. I don't remember what I started as, possibly elf although my go to is usually shortstack.
What server would the euros recommend?

ADL

Prophet
I have no experience with European servers but I hear Laurelin has the best community even though it's #2 in the server populations. Landroval (NA-RP) and Laurelin (EU-RP) are where all the cool community events like Weatherstock happen and Bilbo's birthday is celebrated every year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom