Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

kazgar

Arcane
When the Anti-Bullying(tm) made for TV movie of this comes out I bet they use Eliza Dushku to portray Hepler.

made for TV movie? Nah this is bioware, its going to be the new IP!

Expect a glorious adventure as you, the chosen protector of the realm of BioSocnia, are pit against the very forces of evil themselves.

The troll army has awoken, and you must find a crack team to help you save the planet!

- Experience next generation pew-pewing while you try to hold the end of line.
- Interact with interesting factions like the Doctor's Guild and the Jolly Tumblrs
- Explore terrible troll infested dungeons such as the caves of /v/ and the infernal den of codexia
- Enjoy deep and meaningful emotional engagement with characters such as Stanley Woo and Jennifer Hepler.

Pre-Order now!

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
In other news, Gamespot pontificates on the dangers of consumer gamer entitlement.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/the-dangers-of-gamer-entitlement-6350732/

And as usual (since they receive EA funding for ads on their site) they miss the entire point. All of the BioWare employee's are told from Management that they need to make their games "Mass Accessible" (and encouraged to think in such ways). Hepler was merely being vocal about a directive given to her. And sadly bore the brunt of it from the (misguided) community.

THAT is the subject that they will never ever discuss.

They always miss the fucking point. Games journalists couldn't hit the broad side of a hepler.

RPGMaster

Savant
k48svd.jpg

zjikiu.png

Moments later...

ayu6iq.png

Claim you have an open forum then censor post accusing you of censorship. Delicious. :salute:

20 Eyes

Liturgist
LOL @ the media insinuating that the Hamburglar hate is motivated by misogyny and not awful writing. Bioware's writing is awful as a whole, but The Burg's heavy-handed fetish projection and general aversion to video games in general make her an easy target. People on the internet are going to bash anyone that's overweight and in the spotlight, looking like a female neckbeard just makes it worse. Being unattractive just makes it easier for people to say mean things to you (trust me... ;__;.. ), but the masses wouldn't bother bombarding her twitter if they didn't associate her with the decline of Bioware (which only had trashy fantasy level writing at the best of times, anyway).

I'm just going to leave this here.......

Do your duty, Codex. Rate this down and report it as promoting terrorism.

This video is horrendous. I could only stand a few seconds of it. Is this young lady on Bioware's payroll?

hoopy

Savant
Also god damn this topic made Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2012/02/21/bioware-helper-harassment/

Pretty well-written article that talks about the real issues without the sexism smokescreen.M:

Forbes said:
The idea of a free pass on difficult action sequences is not actually a revolutionary one. If anything, Hepler was ahead of her time. L.A. Noire, the troubled but successful 1940s sleuth-em-up released last year by RockStar Games, did exactly this. After failing an action sequence a set number of times, the game gives the option of skipping it and moving on to the next interrogation or search for clues.
But LA Noire is an adventure game with action sequences, not an action game with adventure sequences. Skipping the action in DA2 is like skipping the crime solving in Noire.

These gamers are seeing the fall of a kingdom that will never be theirs again. The major studios will make concessions to the dreaded “casual player”, because there are a lot of people who will be more ready to spend money on games if they are not deterred by being unable to invest dozens of hours in mastering the combat system, or being unable to proceed beyond the first third of the game as the difficulty ramps up.
The people who don't have the skill to operate a 360 pad or the time to learn are not going to play Mass Effect. A singleplayer scifi shooter has limited appeal compared to WoW, Sims, Mario or browser games, and it's a pipe dream to think you can somehow sell it to everyone.

hoopy

Savant
Roll a Die by the Sword: An Engagement with Jennifer Hepler’s Ideas
She was being savaged for merely offering an opinion in an ongoing discussion about gaming.
Then wouldn't anyone get attacked for saying something about gaming?

One of the tragedies of cultural sexism is that we as women are not taken seriously as participants in our fields.
I can't imagine why.

VVVV It's a bunch of batshit crazy feminists who use video games as a platform for their agenda. They hardly play anything but BioWare games, for obvious reasons.

Stinger

Arcane
So who the fuck is border house anyway? I've seen links to this site several times in BTE.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
:lol:

------------------------------|

If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you DING DONG BANNU can change the nature of a man. I’ve seen RINES move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from RINES. DING DONG BANNU damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek END OF RINE and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a DING DONG BANNU.

:mca:

(Yes, it's really immature to make fun of Stanley Woo like this, but I've actually been handed a DING DONG BANNU by him before. So :lol:)

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Really, people couldn't do better than make racial or ethnic remarks against a BioWare employee they don't like?

It's certainly one step up the notch from merely making fun of their appearance or physique.

hoopy

Savant
I never realized it before, but one of the leader writers for Human Revolution was a woman, Mary DeMarle. If this Hepler debacle is all about her being a woman, why doesn't anyone have a problem with DeMarle?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm a chink myself and I thought it was funny, albeit a bit overdone. Stereotypes have their place in humour.

It's the difference between crowing about GRORIOUS MODDU EDITO and calling Mr. Woo (or any other East Asian) a four-eyed tiny-dicked yellow-faced slanty-eyed power-hungry cum-guzzling gook who should've died in Hiroshima1.

1. Disclaimer: This is in no way a personal attack on Mr. Woo, but rather an illustration of what I personally consider to be offensive racism.

meh

Educated
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Good read, good read. I couldn't control myself and started laughing with the full voice in the office. Keep up the good work guys.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I never realized it before, but one of the leader writers for Human Revolution was a woman, Mary DeMarle. If this Hepler debacle is all about her being a woman, why doesn't anyone have a problem with DeMarle?
1) Her writing - while by no means stellar - is leaps and bounds beyond the drivel Hepler cranks out.
2) She hasn't gotten on a soapbox, claiming that any legitimate complaints about her work stem from people being jealous of her vagoo
3) As far as I'm aware, she's concentrated on writing - her job - not making inane statements about gameplay decisions that should be left to the game designers. (Although recent products make me doubt the competence of biowares designers as well).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom