Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The numbers are evil: Avencast Q&A

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I wasn't arguing context-specific examples (and seriously, rendering IQ as an impossible detail to measure in a quasi-medieval because the concept wasn't "known" in such a setting is pretty disingenuous, ace) but it doesn't stand to scrutiny that a numerical evaluation of oneself is unrealistic since numbers govern a great deal of our identity and by association, the identity of characters whom we try to role-play. Arguing that not every person's trait, skill or experience can be measured in a quantative way was a non-sequitur and self-evident either way - but the point is, many can and subsequently, many are.

It's arguable whether replacing a quantitative measurement for a qualitative method brings any immersion to the table. At best, it presents a more humanistic scale of representation (and it's certainly not without flavor) but if this is an improvement is questionable seeing as how either of them can prove to be unwielding and abstract in specific cases. Sure, CHA 17 is abstract and doesn't really convey much about your character unless how he will convince someone in a metagaming roll of a die but in a "very realistic RPG system" it's hard to argue against the use of numerical precision to describe certain character aspects since it *is* pretty realistic.

Noceur

Liturgist
Koby said:
(quote is severly snipped)
Compared to a run-of-the-mill action games, oblivion had a GREAT story and plot, and a rich in background and details game world.

That's clearly an overstatement... and I'm not saying that to bash Oblivion. I'd say that Oblivion has a LONGER plot than the run-of-the-mill Action game (and more subplots, ex guilds), and a large map where you're free to be a jackass or whatever (which is probably what appeals to most). The quality and execution of the plot and story in Oblivion isn't much better than your avarage Action game.

I'd say story and plot (as well as execution of these) has been stronger in the Adventure and Action games for a decent while now - with a few exceptions.

Joe Krow

Erudite
They decided to put this part in bold print.
By requiring the player to mobilize his own skills to meet the challenges of a game, a whole different kind of motivation is created - one that goes beyond the urge to find better gear or grind your character to higher levels.

They're calling this an rpg? He's kidding right? This article could just as easily be about Super Mario. Sickening.

I'd say story and plot (as well as execution of these) has been stronger in the Adventure and Action games for a decent while now - with a few exceptions.

No kidding. Freaking Quake 4 had more plot, character development, and intrigue in it than Oblivion.

elander_

Arbiter
Speaking of plots, i have never seen a combination where we play the nameless one saving the world from invading demons. Too weak. If the player isn't at least the nameless one, the chosen one, and will save the universe from invading demons then it isn't worth my money.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Well, Diablo and co were never real RPGs anyway, so its fine to stop pretending. He is right in pointing out that the action in these supposed action games is usallly rather lame. I have my doubts about his solutions, but hey, I am never gonna buy it anyway :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom