Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Obsidian/MCA Kickstarter game YOU want to see

What are the features YOU want to see in the game? Pick only one per category unless marked w/ *

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
hmmm after reading Fargo's comments that he wants to make Wasteland 2 isometric and turn based, I would much rather he hire Obsidian and oversee in the Producer role (just like he did in the BIS days). Both strengths of those 2 teams together would be so much fucking incline the incline-o-meter would fucking explode.

Captain Shrek

hmmm after reading Fargo's comments that he wants to make Wasteland 2 isometric and turn based, I would much rather he hire Obsidian and oversee in the Producer role (just like he did in the BIS days). Both strengths of those 2 teams together would be so much fucking incline the incline-o-meter would fucking explode.

:bro:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Yes, and despite his bullshit-spewing abilities, i want to think he still knows how to delegate to the right people...

MCA
Considering how split the feedback was on their forums I doubt they'll go through with it. Especially since a lot of it was asking for AAA quality type game, which would just be impossible to make on a kickstarter budget.

Well, most everyone hanging out at a developer's own official forum is a fucking moron by default. Perhaps MCA will realise that too. Expecting AAA from a Kickstarter project: only the brain dead can do.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Too many questions about the setting. It doesn't really matter to me as long as it's well executed.

Well... As long as it's not Barbie Adventures: The RPG or something anyway.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Considering how split the feedback was on their forums I doubt they'll go through with it. Especially since a lot of it was asking for AAA quality type game, which would just be impossible to make on a kickstarter budget.

Well, most everyone hanging out at a developer's own official forum is a fucking moron by default. Perhaps MCA will realise that too. Expecting AAA from a Kickstarter project: only the brain dead can do.

Notice that he didn't mention his own company's forums in that recent reply of his...

A producer is just a guy who takes credit for other people's work. Just let MCA and Sawyer do their job with no one to oversee them and they will make something good, Fargo would be of no use.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/so-you-want-to-be-a-producer

Renegen

Arcane
Who are we kidding, they may raise $2 million if they're lucky. I want to see a 1st person blobber with deep characters and writing and plenty of polish given their budget. I don't think an isomeric will be well served.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
The only thing worth explaining about my votes is that I want a real-time game. I'm not thinking of a DS3-type, action-packed twitchfest, but something more along the lines of an adventure game with a clock running in the background where things unfold without player input, like The Last Express or KGB.

The whole game should basically be an adventure game with stats, good dialogue and strong characters, in my opinion. This would play to MCA's strengths as a designer and writer, instead of having him waste resources on a game with half-assed, vestigial mechanics that only detract from the experience, like in PST or AP. As far as I'm concerned, any other type of game would be a waste of his talent; he's not gonna be the one to make the next JA2 or UFO.

HOWEVER

...if he could somehow hypothetically get a hold of the ToEE engine and hire someone competent at encounter design, then I'll have some of that pls.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm assuming character opportunities means skill-checks. I definitely want more skill checks. Combat, I can take it or leave it if it isn't a dungeon-crawler. But no matter what increasing the importance of skill checks can only be incline.

MCA
Call it skill checks or alternative in game activities to advance the story, without getting involved in combat. Ideally speaking, maybe you want to manipulate different people to turn on each other to serve your ends, or discover scandalous secrets of people and blackmail them into doing your shit, or implicate people in murder, theft or other heinous crimes (Batiatus comes to mind), amass wealth through means other than selling loot and use it for influence, or be a soldier character but instead of grinding, become a general/something through political maneuvering to be a man of importance and influence. Or just grind the shit out of the game and be called a hero or a mass/serial murderer for it and use that raw infamy without resorting to combat or needing Dem Big Words. Be a public figure and con people into believing you're the son of the God and here to lead them into paradise or whatever, start a public movements, revolts. Or combinations of any number of these to varying degrees. Things that would involve skill checks, stat tracking and adventuring and not necessarily require a whole lot of game assets other than careful crafting of options and lots of writing.

Those are mainly the kinds of things I mean by character opportunities. I can live with a simplistic but funny-ish combat like FO1/2 if those other things are in place.

Still curious how AoD will turn out.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
I want someone to make a Warhammer Fantasy RPG!!!

Nice poll, btw.

Your proposal holds some value, since the immense popularity of 40k kinda preserved (kinda, I stress) fantasy from the shitstorm of decline.
We live in dire times, though. The license for such a thing should be in European hands, to make it a game full of atmosphere deserving of the setting.

Unless you were being ironic.

Johannes

Arcane
I don't care if it's TB or RTwP, as long as it's properly balanced for whatever 1 system it implements and not some shitty toggle compromise trying to make both possible.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Traditionally. the difference between RTwP and plain RT is rounds/phases and an ability to pause and issue orders and sometimes, queue actions. Eg. Dungeon Siege 3 is a straight RPGLite action game like Diablo series. You can pause but there is no tactical value to pausing.
No. Neither traditionally nor otherwise is that a correct description of RT vs RTwP. So why did you try to make it? Is it because you liked NWN2's clusterfuck and not DS2's quite well done RTwP? Thus to keep an argument for a type of game you like (NWN2/IE) and against something you don't like (DS) by fucking up definitions? Why not just say that you're fine with RTwP games like *soandso* but don't like RTwP games like DS?

RTwP: Any game where you can issue orders while the (otherwise essentially) real time game is paused. Really not a toughie...

EDIT: After reading your second post, I find your nonsense definition even weirder... Oh yeah, there is no dichtonomie between good mechanics and good story.

MCA
You're trying too hard.

Shannow Trying Too Hard said:
RTwP: Any game where you can issue orders while the (otherwise essentially) real time game is paused
vots said:
the difference between RTwP and plain RT is ... and an ability to pause and issue orders and...
Shannow Trying Too Hard said:
No. Neither traditionally nor otherwise is that a correct description of RT vs RTwP.

R00fles!

Oh but if you have an objection to my definition of it having a traditional condition (thus acknowledging the purely technical definition of it without the attachment to rounds or phases but still taking that attachment into account purely on a traditional context, based on the reality of the situation we have thus far seen in cRPGs or else why even put an expression like "traditionally" in there? But why the attachment, you might ask and the answer is: because in the context of RPGs ie. not many characters and global events to manage simultaneously as you would in a real strategy game, the tactical value of an ability to issue commands without the combat working on the basis of rounds or phases is somewhat lost, which you may disagree with and that's, like, your opinion man. One part of an at least semi-valid argument that you reject wholly in a self-contradictory manner) of the mechanic existing without, go on and list all the RPGs with RTwP and plain RT combat, with a short explanation of how combat works in each.

And while at it, let's tackle this one: Mass Effect and Fallout 3. Are they RT or RTwP?

Both games are RT but also have pause during which you can issue commands so it stands to reason that, on the grounds of pure technicality, they are both RTwP. But does it stand to reason to round them up with the likes of Darklands, IE games, DAO? Or let's put it this way:

When people say "we want RTwP combat", do they mean they want a game in the vein of the latter examples or do they mean they would be ok with games in the vein of the former examples as well? Do they mean either type of game between the two whenever "RTwP" comes up in a discussion, or both?

And this, my dear Codexite, is why you should pay more attention to what you're reading and the context within which it's provided.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I want a turn based game with control over a party up to 6 people. I would love to have the game in a fixed, 2d based isometric camera with sprites instead of 3d rendering. I don't really care about the setting, as long as it is well implemented it can be everything.

Random

Arcane
Patron
But what if the Kickstarter virus kicks in (hurr) and Obsidian becomes just another vaporware developer?

When people literally throw money at you before you even make anything, it kills the urge to actually develop something.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't think Feargus is a very helpful part of the equation, though. He probably dreams up new ways to sell out and rubs his hands in glee.

What exactly can he do when they are entirely stuck within a Publisher funded game development?

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
So, until now, a turn based, isometric, point and click RPG, with equal focus between mechanics and writing, a deep combat system and a weird, low fantasy, dystopian world.

Not bad I think.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunately I get the feeling that MCA just doesn't have the heart to become a publisher. It takes a special kind of greedy, heartless bastard to do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom