Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The problem with turn-based games is the only "tactics" are the builds.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You guys aren't ready for the ultimate in skill-based and prestigious RPG combat (enemies get TB and the player gets RT).

TheDarkUrge

Educated
That's why some great CRPGs like tides of numenera get by without using combat really at all. Writing and art has to be good to make up for it though. I also like CRPGs that have a sort of mystery/problem solving aspect like age of decadence. More CRPGs should make you use your brain to win fights instead of just min-maxing a stat sheet

BrainMuncher

Liturgist
You guys aren't ready for the ultimate in skill-based and prestigious RPG combat (enemies get TB and the player gets RT).
Isn't that already the case in all these console games? The enemies stand around you in a circle and wait their turn to attack you one at a time.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I wanna see chatgpt try and sell this idea in the form of a publisher pitch
Given that they largely care about DEI and chatgpt is all woked up it'd probably work.

More CRPGs should make you use your brain to win fights instead of just min-maxing a stat sheet
Ultimately this is why I tend to stick with TB games. The extra depth they involve makes it a lot harder to just throw together a party of munchkins that fill everything with arrows or burn it to a crisp before it can get close. Terrain tends to not exist in RTwP games; there's no height advantage, no lowered movement rates or defense penalties or even fucking shadows to hide in. It's all stripped down to distance and maybe some choke points. If you're really lucky hard cover exists and enemies can't shoot through solid matter.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
That's why some great CRPGs like tides of numenera get by without using combat really at all. Writing and art has to be good to make up for it though. I also like CRPGs that have a sort of mystery/problem solving aspect like age of decadence. More CRPGs should make you use your brain to win fights instead of just min-maxing a stat sheet
If you want to be a sucessfull troll, never, ever start by the obvious. On Codex Tides were never considered good let alone great. Even outside it wasn't such a hit iirc. You should have started with Disco Is-It-CRPG-ium? or the classic Planescape: Edgy Teenager Dialogue Torment. Someone could fall for it then. Going straight for "muh writing and ART is more importanter than gameplay" wasn't the best move as well. You need to add those elements in less obvious ways. Mix them with statements that are true/accepted/popular and when people's guards are down - only then go for the kill.
Do I need to reopen my "Trolling College" again? It's 1200$ per hour (inflation you know) if anyone is interested.

Why this obviously troll's thread has been going for 6 pages anyway? Well, suppose I answered this by writing a post here myself. Damn.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
If you want to be a sucessfull troll, never, ever start by the obvious. On Codex Tides were never considered good let alone great. Even outside it wasn't such a hit iirc. You should have started with Disco Is-It-CRPG-ium? or the classic Planescape: Edgy Teenager Dialogue Torment. Someone could fall for it then. Going straight for "muh writing and ART is more importanter than gameplay" wasn't the best move as well. You need to add those elements in less obvious ways. Mix them with statements that are true/accepted/popular and when people's guards are down - only then go for the kill.
Do I need to reopen my "Trolling College" again? It's 1200$ per hour (inflation you know) if anyone is interested.

Why this obviously troll's thread has been going for 6 pages anyway? Well, suppose I answered this by writing a post here myself. Damn.
I don't care what the hivemind thinks Numenera is great. I really enjoyed its themes of being more outwardly reflective rather than inward like the original, and the mini stories we got through the items were also top notch. I also liked disco elysium until the ending. Yeah you sort of caught me because I'm only posting that opinion because it riles people up, but I'm not trolling just find it funny. :smug:

I play role play games to immerse myself in the world. If the combat helps me do that (eg WOTR) then it's a good CRPG. If the writing does that instead it's a good CRPG. If it does both it's a great one (AoD)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom