Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Makabb, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Venser Erudite

Venser

TL;DW:
    • SoC (CPU/GPU) temperatures are probably in the 75-80 degree range, most likely fine.
    • Memory runs very hot, at 95 degrees!
    • Voltage regulators run at an ok but not great temperature, around 70 degrees.
    • Panels on are hotter than panels off, by as much as 5 degrees in some cases
    • Console takes a while to cool after shutdown, faster if the panels are off.
    • Huge, high-powered fan that could move a lot of air provided a proper fan curve.
    • Memory heat dissipation design is poor, relying on the steel board cover to remove heat.
    • Consumed roughly 210W during gaming, idle draw is 100w.
    • Noise levels are relatively quiet compared to standard PC components.
    • Fan has a gradual ramp down after closing a game and returning to the menu.
    • Fan is very powerful, but doesn't run fast. Thermals seem to have been sacrificed for noise.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    AMD hardware is typically designed for higher temperatures than Nvidia hardware, so it is normal.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • No No x 1
    • Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    So my xbox series x arrived this week, installed a bunch of gamepass stuff... my wife is the one giving it the most use tho, Tetris effect. Quite a beautiful looking and sounding game, not expecting.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    • Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    SOYNY PONYS COPING ALREADY!!!! Cybercope2077!!!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • meh meh x 1
    • Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Assisted Living Godzilla Liturgist

Assisted Living Godzilla
    Was wondering to myself today while thinking about getting 13 Sentinels how long the PS4 (and I guess Xbox One) will run into this new generation. It's basically an inevitability that the PS4 will go a few years into the PS5, after all you still had some stuff like MGSV coming out for the 360 and PS3 towards the end of 2015 despite the new stuff having come out at the end of 2013 in November. But the PS4 has sold a lot more than the 360 and PS4, it's one of the best selling consoles there is...and the PS5 can still play PS4 games, so you still have a PS4 user install base with the PS5. Makes me wonder if it won't last something like twice as long. I mean, there's probably a lot of smaller Japanese developers like Atlus (they released Persona 5 on the PS3 in Japan in 2016) and such that'd be perfectly happy staying with the thing that's cheaper to make games for; and since the Switch is pretty big there's still going to be a number of third party developers makes stuff for that less powerful hardware too.

I'm thinking the tail to the PS4 will be longer than we've ever seen it before. Especially since it sounds like Japan isn't exactly jumping to get these new systems, and may not be for a while.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You have a very nice room there.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    It looks barely different

• Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe

Thanks, was an issue to find a place to put the xbox. Lying down it doesn't fit beneath the tv, and standing up I could only put it on the floor level to the subhoofer. Both the series x and the ps5 have a very difficult format to fit with entertainment system.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yeah Tetris Effect is great. I think it got less attention than it should have on PC because of the Epic Store shit, but I enjoyed it a lot. Even better with visuals and sound that Lumines, and with (IMO) better gameplay.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • +20 Social Credit +20 Social Credit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Man the days of buying a console, boot it up, place the disc and play away ended in the PS3/360 era

Now when you boot it for the 1st time you have to leave the damn thing on throughout the night so it can configure itself. Then you have to download and install the software updates, that's another 3 hours at least. Then when you insert the disc you can't play it right away, as you have to install the game so that's another hour, hour and half. And of course after that you have to download the 30Gb 1st day update to fix most of the game, so another hour down the drain.
    So you're looking at a whole fucking day of maintence before the brats can enjoy it.

Nowadays you're better with PC's in it comes to expidience and comfort. Just install the game and you're good to go.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I haven't really used a console in forever, but I feel like there's still a large "fuss with it" gap. I just bought my first NVME drive in a black Friday sale and now I have to google how to install it, I have to take parts out of my machine to access the slot and then reinstall those, I have to google how to clone my SATA drive to the NVME drive or do a fresh Windows install on it, which would require reinstalling a bunch of random programs like RivaTuner and whatnot, not to mention drivers. Unless consoles have changed a LOT since I last used them then I still think there's a large difference.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Venser Erudite

Venser
    Same with the consoles. I had to watch a bunch of tutorials when I was swapping PS4 HDD for an SSD and had to copy OS and all of my files. Then had to rebuild the database because some games weren't working.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Dude you've bought a competent to install in a desktop, of course that's more complicated than buying a console

But most dudes that use PC as gaming platform, simply buy the components and then pay for the store guys to assemble it and install and configure the OS
    Then all they have to do is pick the thing up at the shop (or pay for it's delivery), boot up, install steam, install a game and boom
    2 hours after unboxing and they're already playing fucking CSGO or LOL while chatting up in Discord

While with the XBox and PS you have to configure so much that 1st time that it ain't even funny (well not funny for the console peasants that have to sit through all of that, I certaintly found it hilarious when a mate told that, the day after trying to rub it in my face that he was going to play Bloodborne back in 2015)

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Toffeli Atomkrieg, ja bitte Patron

Toffeli
    Wasteland 2
    [​IMG]
    upload_2020-11-25_17-19-39.png

• Funny Funny x 3
    • what? what? x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    If you have a 144hz g-sync monitor then RivaTuner is pretty essential to cap your framerate without v-sync. It does it better with less delay than the GPU drivers do.

^ Top  
  16. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You might want to check up on those glasses. The thumbnail alone shows a huge difference.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Cromwell Arcane

Cromwell
    like what? The only thing I ever had to fiddle with were the settings regarding the TV. You're right with the gamepatches of course.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    If you can't even swap a fucking drive on a PC without looking at a guide then you have no business using a PC. Fuck off.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Setting up the xbox was ridiculously simple. Boot it up, it asks to connect to your phone app, while it downloads the system update you continue to configure the console settings through your phone.

I waited more time just browsing gamepass and choosing stuff to download, so much awesome stuff there that when I spent a full day just downloading games.

Couple of things about the console itself. Its very hefty and solid, feels like a product with top build quality. Also it's super quiet, fast to boot and load everything, UI is also very snappy, a marked improvement from what I was used to on the ps4.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Never used an NVME and know literally nothing about using them, so yeah I'm gonna Google real quick. You'd have to be absolutely retarded not to. I guess you're the guy who drove in circles for hours instead of asking for directions, back in the day.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Equip the Ring Equip the Ring x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Melcar Arcane

Melcar

How else are you supposed to get anywhere?

Anyway, read the fucking motherboard manual at least.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    I'm enjoying the PS5 so far - UI is a lot snappier than the PS4 Pro (especially the PS Store) and the load times are really good in comparison. The controller is ok but has some odd angles at the base of my palms that I notice occasionally (I would have preferred it be more rounded).

Biggest improvement by far is the end of the jet engine fan noise though.

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Wow, it sounds great! I can't wait for it to get some games to go with the box.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Cromwell Arcane

Cromwell
    jokes on you I already played some super mario world yesterday.

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    The lighting is different and a few textures are worse and that's it

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 2
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.