Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Really wish i had a few boxes of pet rocks. I doubt they resale too high.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Met my mate today who works at AO.com, they got 12 PS5's and 12 XSX's last week to satisfy some customer back orders. :lol:

Good luck getting one of these any time soon.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Met my mate today who works at AO.com, they got 12 PS5's and 12 XSX's last week to satisfy some customer back orders. :lol:

Good luck getting one of these any time soon.

Restocks are happening (at least in North America). I managed to order an Xbox Series X from a big-box retailer today. Should have it on Monday.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Want to be a decent wireless headset to use with my series x. Currently looking at the hyperx cloudx flight wireless set, anyone have any experience with hyperx headsets? Also any other recommendations?

Melcar

Arcane
HyperX headsets are rather good (the higher end Cloud series and Revolver)... when using a decent sound card. All their USB DACs and wireless receivers kinda suck balls in sound quality, but then again so do all similar devices from other "gaming" headsets. The Cloud series headsets also tend to be in the smallish-medium earcup side with somewhat narrow headbands, so depending on the user they may be a bit uncomfortable after a while. If it's just for games and short sessions (1-2 hours tops) then go for it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
HyperX headsets are rather good (the higher end Cloud series and Revolver)... when using a decent sound card. All their USB DACs and wireless receivers kinda suck balls in sound quality, but then again so do all similar devices from other "gaming" headsets. The Cloud series headsets also tend to be in the smallish-medium earcup side with somewhat narrow headbands, so depending on the user they may be a bit uncomfortable after a while. If it's just for games and short sessions (1-2 hours tops) then go for it.
Good advice, i have rather big ears, thats actually something I never had in consideration while looking for a console headset (never had an over the ear headphones before, always in ear).

SumDrunkGuy

Looks like they need a dude with a shotgun in the back.

That movie will never stop getting my dick hard.

The only crap parts was John commanding terminator to NOT KILL. Then again, there were some funny parts due to that. Give & Take. The first movie fitting into a sci-fi/horror genre.

Nah, I wouldn't have it any other way. The T-800 being ordered to not kill anyone was a fun little twist. It's hilarious how he just kneecaps everybody. The OG Terminator is also one of my all-time favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melcar

Arcane
Good advice, i have rather big ears, thats actually something I never had in consideration while looking for a console headset (never had an over the ear headphones before, always in ear).

I use a pair of Cloud IIs as my daily driver (coming from a Revolver). The Revolver has much more comfortable earcups due to their large size. I have normalish size ears, and the Cloud II earcups seat right on my ears unless I fiddle with the cups while the Revolver ones completely cover them. This causes discomfort after 40min or so of continuous use and I have to take a break. The headband also tends to start to dig into my head after an hour or so and since it's rather narrow it causes discomfort as well. The Revolver has none of those issues, but it's a much heavier headset and the weight is not as evenly distributed (I could never use it for more than an hour straight).
Look for something that has 50mm or similar sized earcups and with a wide headband if you plan to use it for long sessions. Sadly I think that will limit your options in terms of "gaming" headsets.

Examples of earpad sizes
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61MHEmPwpuL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
The PS5 not having Dolby Vision is pretty lame. It's not that the Dolby Vision layers make that big of a difference, but more that they're being used as band aids for crappy encodes. Like improving the ugly macroblocking in the reddest or brightest scenes of Total Recall, caused by extremely uneven bitrates. Someone posted these on blu-ray.com.

HDR10:

rhBSJHG.jpg

Dolby Vision:

WE5LlwV.jpg

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Dolby Vision also helps people with shit HDR, as it does a better job adapting to lower than expected peak brightness.

I have a really good HDR 10 set, but this compression stuff does make me envious. Still in motion without zooming in, it's usually not that noticeable. The Fog is the only 4k disc I saw a lot of compression issues with, so far.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The PS5 not having Dolby Vision is pretty lame. It's not that the Dolby Vision layers make that big of a difference, but more that they're being used as band aids for crappy encodes. Like improving the ugly macroblocking in the reddest or brightest scenes of Total Recall, caused by extremely uneven bitrates. Someone posted these on blu-ray.com.

HDR10:

rhBSJHG.jpg

Dolby Vision:

WE5LlwV.jpg
These look 100% identical on my screen.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

HDR10:

rhBSJHG.jpg

Dolby Vision:

WE5LlwV.jpg
These look 100% identical on my screen.
So you have a shit screen (or eyes). And?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Dolby Vision also helps people with shit HDR, as it does a better job adapting to lower than expected peak brightness.

I have a really good HDR 10 set, but this compression stuff does make me envious. Still in motion without zooming in, it's usually not that noticeable. The Fog is the only 4k disc I saw a lot of compression issues with, so far.
True, even in Total Recall it was less noticeable in motion. The ending really stood out, though. When they kiss and the picture goes bright white, the whole image kind of breaks apart with artifacts in HDR10. All those squares and digital noise here look bad in motion.

Total-Recall-ending-macroblocking.png

I read that it sometimes dips below 500 kbps. The graphs should never be this wild.

3763983-0759315604-lkmxh.png

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Got mine on the 30th to my suprise.
Had issues with HDR not working at start till I checkmarked a stupid box in the settings.
Its fucked up when you get used to it, played Observer System Redux as the first game, its a night and day difference with it on and off.

Also audio delay for some reason when watching Netflix but it fixed itself by rebooting.
With One X it all worked from the get go without any issues.

Overall, it feels more like a PC upgrade than a new console. Not much of a difference compared to One X at all. Its just faster, way faster.

And I thought it would be bigger. Controller buttons are more clicky and harder to press, dpad too is loud as fuck but it feels sturdy.
The grip is really good.

Overall its just a One X on steroids. You might get more impressed with it if you had a base Xbone or a PS4 but for me its nice with the speed upgrade but meh.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I'm really liking my Series X, but my last Microsoft console was the Xbox 360, so the differences are obviously more pronounced.

I played through Mass Effect over the holidays, and the load times were down to mere seconds--a vast improvement.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Its fucked up when you get used to it, played Observer System Redux as the first game, its a night and day difference with it on and off.

It's a bummer PC monitors with good HDR are so expensive. Maybe one day... HDR makes a huge difference with movies, mostly because of the expanded color. Suddenly normal blu-rays have green leaves that look faded and dead.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not exclusive to Americans. I was at a Black Friday sale a few years ago. There was a monitor that I wanted. I grabbed the last one when a monster of a man attempted to take it from me. We struggled for like five seconds before my cousin tapped the dude on the shoulder, and shook his head. The man let the monitor go and walked away. It was in the nick of time, because I was ready to let that mfer go. I'm not that desperate. From that point on, I do all my big sale shopping online or wait until rush hour is over. If what I want is gone, then it's gone.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The U.S. has some unique madness by being the most capitalist and individual focused society out there right now, but every human is waiting to act like an animal when enough control mechanisms are removed. Black Friday gives many the excuse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom