Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information The rising success of KickStarter

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Sorry, meant to say new models will show up (can't edit original post atm).

Kickstarter is too young to die before some time. Give it time, we'll see the trends developing in its wake. Better than the AAA stagnation anyway.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I think kickstarter is a good step 1 for replacing the middle man on small to medium sized ventures. Eventually some of the big KS will fail and the big donators will get scared away. Than we'll have to start seeing crowdfunding that offers some kind of equity stake or be treated like micro loans.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think kickstarter is a good step 1 for replacing the middle man on small to medium sized ventures. Eventually some of the big KS will fail and the big donators will get scared away. Than we'll have to start seeing crowdfunding that offers some kind of equity stake or be treated like micro loans.

Again, you're forgetting that the big Kickstarters that don't fail (and produce great games) will inspire much confidence. At that point, the companies with good reputations will be able to raise money with higher minimum pledges - $20, $25 - and people will pay because they'll know it's worth it. That means higher budgets and better games.

We've already seen a massively successful Kickstarter with a very high minimum pledge - the Pebble. It can be done.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Kickstarter is going to go down as soon as games start getting released I think. We only have Wasteland 2 to look forward to. All the others are probably going to be bad.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
someone needs to pay me now. setup a joint where every cool thing I say raises money for me. max is 100 USD day. come on. i will eventually die from the stress of having no reward. give me money.

FrancoTAU

Cipher

Again, you're forgetting that the big Kickstarters that don't fail (and produce great games) will inspire much confidence. At that point, the companies with good reputations will be able to raise money with higher minimum pledges - $20, $25 - and people will pay because they'll know it's worth it. That means higher budgets and better games.

We've already seen a massively successful Kickstarter with a very high minimum pledge - the Pebble. It can be done.

Right, I do think the KS that are viewed as more of a glorified pre ordering system will do fine. The Pebble KS wasn't for R&D money, it was just about getting production going. The guys with proven track records or a working prototype/demo/rough tracks will probably continue to do fine. I don't think projects like Banner Saga are going to be the norm going forward though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom