Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Star Trek adentures are worth playing

made

Arcane
I'm talking Judgment Rites/25th Anniversary but also the next-gen A Final Unity.

Non-linear (compared to LA/Sierra games), multiple ways to solve assignments, missions don't immediately fail if you mess up, instead you might get a slap on the wrists from the admiral and a lower rating. Logical puzzles that make sense (within the setting) and don't consist of just combining random items. Plus bickering between Spock & Bones is always a winner.

I recommend the original two games for everyone, AFU only if you don't hate TNG with a passion.

Underground Gamer has a collection with all ST games btw. if you want to give them a try.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
25th Anniversary was uneven, I felt you had to be a ST fan to really like it.

Judgement Rites, OTOH, is an excellent adventure game in its own right. Bonus points for making the fighting sequences skippable, and for having a finale that does not involve fighting. And for having an overarching plot linking all the chapters. It really was an excellent game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I own A Final Unity and love it... haven't played it in a damn long time but I still keep the pre-configured DOSBox version of it on my PC, which says something.

Never played the other two and I really should.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DalekFlay said:
I own A Final Unity and love it... haven't played it in a damn long time but I still keep the pre-configured DOSBox version of it on my PC, which says something.

A Final Unity was *fantastic*. Really dark ending possible.

Achilles

Arcane
Indeed, I played Final Unity when it was released and I was blown away by it. Damn, I really have to play it again.

L'ennui

Magister
Hey thanks for this thread, I've played and loved both Original Series games you mentionned but have somehow spent my life oblivious to A Final Unity's existance. I've started playing it a bit yesterday, looks great so far!

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
L'ennui said:
Hey thanks for this thread, I've played and loved both Original Series games you mentionned but have somehow spent my life oblivious to A Final Unity's existance. I've started playing it a bit yesterday, looks great so far!

Same here, apart from having started it (which should be my next stop). 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites are two of the few good things from my childhood that haven't been horrendously raped by time or "modernization."

hal900x

Augur
Why don't enemy ships ever show up on the Radar ("Position Monitor")? Makes space battles even more annoying. All I ever see is one green dot for the nearby planet, regardless of whether they have stealth or not.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
DalekFlay said:

Pretty much this, except I also own 25th Anniversary, but only played it for about an hour.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom