Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline the SYDNEY database in gabriel knight 3 is amazing

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i dunno where else to post, i just want to appreciate this little thing in gabriel knight 3. i just begin day 2 and found myself drowned in the SYDNEY database in that little laptop. i was just surprised because usually this kind of "database" in adventure games only contain information pertaining to the current puzzle/plot ot not have that much info to begin with. i was surprised to see typing random, unexpected thing like "necromancy" or "philosopher's stone" actually come up with a result, in which the page has links leading to other pages and it just goes on. for me, this is just a massive effort from the developer because most of the information written in there dont even pertain to the game so far. it just show how extensive the schattenjager occult knowledge is, throwback to previous cases/games and other lore-related stuff. i checked some of the sources and the ones i checked are apparently real books too.

i just find that really great and show how much the devs care for the little things. i just need to vent it out i guess. this is also the last gabriel knight game and i will be sad when this is over. i've been binging the GK games since late december and had sooo much fun over the month. they rarely make adventure game like this again.

I think GK3 gets too much flak in general in no small part thanks to that old Old Man Murray article. Mainly by people who haven't even played the fucking game. Yeah, there are some bad spots (especially the ending) but the main puzzle was very satisfying. I liked the game a lot back when I played it in 99.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
just finished it. early GK 3 was bad-ish, it picked up at day 2 and day 3 is fuuuuuuuun.

the puzzles are great. i enjoyed especially la serpent rogue and the last dungeon. this is definitely my favorite adventure game series now. it's just well written, great puzzles, great lore behind it all. i always love urban fantasy and it's really under used in videogames. few i know are vampire TMB and blackwell series. playing this made me even more excited for DaveGilbert 's new unavowed games. gosh, i wish jane jensen would write videogames again with full creative control. fuck she should do a god damn kickstarter. i would throw money at that shit.

i don't want another gabriel knight tho, it is done and i prefer it stays like that. i don't really see anything bad with the ending,
grace left chasing her dreams, finally letting go of gabriel, while gabriel regret he didn't act on his feelings earlier. Prince james' kid is safe, We find out how the ritter became schattenjager (iirc this even mentioned/foreshadowed in the first game) Ali/emilio got his redemption. what i dont get is the weird unicorn part.

Barbarian

Arcane
Let me take this moment to mention that Jane Jensen is currently writing gay softcore fiction under the name "Eli Easton", that Moebius and GK 10th aniversary edition both sucked and flopped and that GK4 will never be made.

But yeah, GK3 was the worse one in the trilogy but still a great adventure. The ending was terrible though, both for the retarded action scene and for the retarded "reveal" which ruined the whole Schattenjäger premise. I guess in the end it might be better if GK4 never gets made.

RuySan

Augur
I really enjoyed Moebius. I might be the only person on earth who did it, I know.

Still have the GK remake to play

Jazz_

Arcane
GK3 is the best adventure game I have ever played plot-wise, the puzzles are great and very well interwined with the story, too bad for the shitty ending, and even factoring that in I don't get how some people can prefer that shitty interactive movie that is GK2 to GK3.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
Moebius wasn't that bad, but its ending was rushed and it was full of cringy gay undertones. Too bad Jensen couldn't keep her male on male fetish out of it. Gray Matter was much better. It was the last good game made by Jane Jensen as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure why it flopped, though I suspect Sam and the Dr's lack of charisma might have been the culprits. They just didn't have what Gabe and Grace had.

Also, don't play the GK1 remake unless you have morbid curiosity about it. It is inferior to the original in every way possible and in retrospect nobody can properly explain why it was done.

GK3 is the best adventure game I have ever played plot-wise, the puzzles are great and very well interwind with the story, too bad for the shitty ending, and even factoring that in I don't get how some people can prefer that shitty interactive movie that is GK2 to GK3.

It is an FMV game and it came packed with the limitations of that, but it had great puzzles and a great story. I have to concede that GK3's "Le Serpent Rouge" is the best puzzle in the history of adventure games, but GK3 is still the worst game when compared to GK2. It had the infamous "cat fur moustache" puzzle as well.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I had to look up guide forcthat cat puzzle. What crock. The later puzzle and la serpent rogue made up for all that clunk at the start

GandGolf

Augur
Just finished the game recently and about the ending:

You get points for asking Grace how to kill the demon, but while you're chatting her up you can't defend yourself against the demon attacks so he mostly killed me so I missed those points.
Is the corpse that Emilio takes out of the coffin supposed to be Jesus? Some of the religious overtones could be found offensive by Christian players I imagine.
Also disappointing that Grace dumps Gabriel in the end to hook up with the guru guy, and just when he was about to give up his womanizing ways!

Also, don't play the GK1 remake unless you have morbid curiosity about it. It is inferior to the original in every way possible and in retrospect nobody can properly explain why it was done.

This was the first game I bought on steam, but I waited till it was on sale for 7$
It was fairly good I thought though I never played the original.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
the original had superior art imo.
all of the portraits are wonderful and soundtrack excellent.
I really dropped GK after they went FMV on the 2nd one.
I gave 3rd one a chance but the 3D goofiness was too much for me.

Barbarian

Arcane
Just finished the game recently and about the ending:

You get points for asking Grace how to kill the demon, but while you're chatting her up you can't defend yourself against the demon attacks so he mostly killed me so I missed those points.
Is the corpse that Emilio takes out of the coffin supposed to be Jesus? Some of the religious overtones could be found offensive by Christian players I imagine.
Also disappointing that Grace dumps Gabriel in the end to hook up with the guru guy, and just when he was about to give up his womanizing ways!

I didn't find it "offensive". Just retarded. It was already old fake controversy back then and any legacy the game might have was ruined when Dan Brown published his shit book.

Anyway, the premise of the game was great when it was about "failed writer discover he is heir to ancient line of witch hunters from Germany". After GK3 it became "failed writer discovers he is a descendant of Saint Longinus charged by God himself with defending the world against supernatural evil". It fucking ruined it.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Does anyone remember when you need emails to progress?

I'm on day 2 (with Grace) and and get a bug that makes the email interface unreadable. I've found a savegame that fixes this over on the GoG forums. But it is from way later in the game (day 3 with +600 points). If I don't need emails until this point I'll just keep playing and use the fixed savefile when I get to day 3.

Barbarian

Arcane
It's been years since I last played this, but I don't think you will need to read e-mails to progress after that. You will probably lose some optional content and investigation points form not checking the new e-mails later though.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Does anyone remember when you need emails to progress?

I'm on day 2 (with Grace) and and get a bug that makes the email interface unreadable. I've found a savegame that fixes this over on the GoG forums. But it is from way later in the game (day 3 with +600 points). If I don't need emails until this point I'll just keep playing and use the fixed savefile when I get to day 3.

The save in question can be found here: https://af.gog.com/forum/gabriel_knight_series/gk3_e_mail_issues/page1?as=1649904300
I had to use it to progress, which worked fine. The score difference being the obvious downside. But there doesn't seem to be another fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom