Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Waylanders - historical fantasy time travel RPG inspired by Dragon Age: Origins

Codex Year of the Donut
oh this dialogue
is this a comedy?

Codex Year of the Donut
oh this dialogue
is this a comedy?
Waylanders-004.png

:abyssgazer:
Waylanders-005.png

Waylanders-006.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
here's your celtic prince bro
Waylanders-004.jpg

(the king is the white guy in the foreground on the left, fyi)

I'm not sure how much of this I can take guys.
The animations are good is about the only nice thing I can say.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
The combat system in this game was a disaster: unresponsive, unbalanced and unintuitive. It made the game boring and tedious.

I liked the graphics and art direction (kinda). However, it seemed like it was trying for the "Fortnite" crowd instead of going for the traditional CRPG audience.

Which ultimately doomed this game from the start.

Codex Year of the Donut
The art is good. The characters look good in motion, like a 3D animated show. Animations are good, environment art also quite good.

That's the only positive things I can say about this game. Hope the artists get jobs in the Industry and everyone else goes and learns a trade skill.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The art is good. The characters look good in motion, like a 3D animated show. Animations are good, environment art also quite good.

That's the only positive things I can say about this game. Hope the artists get jobs in the Industry and everyone else goes and learns a trade skill.
Music ain't all that, eh?

Codex Year of the Donut
The mouse sensitivity setting doesn't load properly, I have to redo it everytime I load the game. Even on the highest setting, it's far too low.

Codex Year of the Donut
performance is pretty bad
there's no tactics system like DAO, just generic AI 'aggressive' or 'passive' and something inbetween I forgot
the game by default has the resolution scaling at 71%, you have to manually change it to 100% in the config file...

seems very linear so far with little exploration

[edit]
description says the AI uses skills on aggressive, but it doesn't actually seem to be using most of them...

doesn't seem to be a hotkey to select party members

starting to think this was made by people who played the console version of dragon age 2.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Alright, a point in their favor. They let you select between two classes that make sense when a character joins your party.
Waylanders-006.jpg

Did I mention the install size is >60GiB by the way? Yeah, don't ask.

Codex Year of the Donut
tbh feels more like a very bad jrpg
other than the combat, reminds me significantly more of FFX than DAO.

especially with the emphasis on using a controller, the game was definitely not designed for kb+m

Kaivokz

Arcane
rusty_shackleford just to be clear, those screenshots of dialogue aren’t parody?
“charming as fuck” “a total dipshit” “SO devoted” — taken out of context these sound like excerpts from a 27 year old cat lady in present day (which might be the majority of DA’s remaining fans)…

But, seriously, those are real lines from the game?

Codex Year of the Donut
sorry to disappoint but I'm not sure if I can continue playing this, the AI is horrible and there's no way to control it other than on or off. My caster guy keeps running into melee range for whatever reason despite him not even having a melee attack, they are barely using their abilities, there's no way to prevent them from using abilities you don't want to use.

This has none of the good parts of DAO's combat at all.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Why is that tranny grey when the game is supposed to be historical?

Also, is that a bowl full of eggs behind xir?

Codex Year of the Donut
rusty_shackleford just to be clear, those screenshots of dialogue aren’t parody?
“charming as fuck” “a total dipshit” “SO devoted” — taken out of context these sound like excerpts from a 27 year old cat lady in present day (which might be the majority of DA’s remaining fans)…

But, seriously, those are real lines from the game?
the dialogue is meant to be taken seriously(....I think?) but it's some of the worst I've ever encountered in a game.

Codex Year of the Donut
Can you make it eat the eggs?
No. I haven't had a single dialogue choice so far that was more than "tell me about x", actually.
Typical conversation is:

"bla bla bla stupid text dump"
3-6 options, all of them are some form of "Tell me about X"
End conversation

There have been absolutely zero choices.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Never mind the grey "woman"(?) alien in celtic world, even the way she speaks.

"The Druid college".

Druid were absolutely bent on oral transmission of knowledge, grouping them together in some sort of university is pure nonsense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom