Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter in May

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
the boomer scrolls.

but anyway i am not buying "AI DM will generate as much interesting story as scripted narrative" but if they are serious about this, i would love to be proven wrong.

To this day there is still not a single game like Daggerfall in all the aspects it has or tries to have..... so it is possible they will do what they speak of.

Molina

Savant
TBF, in Morrowind, most quests could be procedural quest and I wouldn't have seen the difference. It's mostly the environment I'm waiting to see.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
EJx9fV_WsAEWyev.jpg

Scroll of Todd's Lies that OnceLost Games will make True.TM

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Most important part of the video transcribed

Vijay:

Julian and I (Vijay) have worked in multiple situations where we had to design story telling apps that would build a story around your actions. Nobody in the RPG industry as far as I know have spent the time that we have spent inside the educational industry trying to do this and we have spent a lot of time modifying prototyping and building story engine that we think will change how an RPG is done. We want to do what it feelt like when a DM would sit across from you and react to what you did.

Julians response:

It started in infancy at Arena and was very primitive, Daggerfall was more involved and then every once in a while, years after it was obvious that a story engine would be needed and it would get more advanced every time I was on educational products. At this point i've been tinkering with it on and off for a few decades. It's gotten pretty good at this point. We hope it will be able to drive stories that would simulate a real person, Dungeon Master specifically, and continually keep the player with some decent stories but also make sure that there is continuation to these stories that would affect the world in a meaningfull way and in a persistant way so there is meaning in the short term to the quests and meaning after the quest is completed. That's the idea and it looks like after all that time, the technology will be able to do something like that. That's one of the many goals from the technology side we want to accomplish.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
This must be visualisation of RPG Codex, even robes match our favourite colour (commie red!) and all those shelves in background must be stacked with different RPGs we collect, study and guard. Deeper you descent, you'll start to find visual novels, JRPGs, anime section and other deep knowledge

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Have you guys noticed the hills behind the art are graphics, maybe in-game.

If yes, then they have some amazing procedural algorithm to make such hills, expected nothing less from Julian.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Looks like they're advertising massive procedurally generated dungeons strewn throughout a procedurally generated world.

"How deep will it go?" -- this is the question they want you to ask yourself when you come across a dungeon. Is it a little alcove in this mountain, or is it an underground metropolis?
So yeah, lookin' like a Daggerfall successor.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Ted on discord is excited for the story engines quest system, he said it's unlike we have seen anything up to this point and can't wait to show it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
They also got Dan Nalezyty from Daggerfall and one more programmer on board

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
You guys better go there and dwarf those skyrim lovers because Ted is checking the 'temperature of rpg community', we don't want the new game to have action combat, do we ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom