Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 2 Developer Diary #3: Characters

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
commie said:
Ha, so now everyone that was fapping to the Witcher as one of the great Codex approved RPG's of old(see previous lists) all of a sudden decides that it's the worst pile of crap on the earth...ooh, so edgy! Don't worry guys, DA2 is a comin' so you'll be able to hurr, durr at that with a lot more conviction soon enough.

Even the codex immortal triads (FO, PST, ARcanum) has its haters, recently. I guess it's just the codex way. The hatred is so much that we can't just focus it all on the really bad games, and sometimes it backfires onto our favourites.

tennishero

Novice
ill tell you whats wrong with CLICKER- err witcher

theres no fucking hook

fallout- multiple builds, solve shit in many ways- just really awesome atmosphere and feeling of freedom

morrowind- lost in alien lands, sense of constant wonder but also danger at every turn- basically you are an american in iraq,

witcher doesnt draw you in- i know alot is lost in translation and im sure the original (whatever language the former communists use) is much mroe appealing but "feels bad man" i really wanted to like witcher, geralt is almost as cool as Kaim from lost odyssey, and some of the dialogue almost.... almost becomes good

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Jools said:
commie said:
Ha, so now everyone that was fapping to the Witcher as one of the great Codex approved RPG's of old(see previous lists) all of a sudden decides that it's the worst pile of crap on the earth...ooh, so edgy! Don't worry guys, DA2 is a comin' so you'll be able to hurr, durr at that with a lot more conviction soon enough.

Even the codex immortal triads (FO, PST, ARcanum) has its haters, recently. I guess it's just the codex way. The hatred is so much that we can't just focus it all on the really bad games, and sometimes it backfires onto our favourites.
You don't need to be a hater to see flaws in games that have them. Especially if you like the games in question. The "immortal triad" games (certainly PST and Arcanum) have a lot of flaws.
Only rabid fanboys think differently - the games they like must be aboslutely perfect and anyone who disagrees is obviously a hater.

Alexandros said:
Why rage about that? Even if we go back to to PnP D&D days, RPGs were mainly about story and characters.
Herp, derp...
Or was it sarcasm ? Im really can' tell these days with all the :decline: and :smug: and :x around.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Serus said:
Jools said:
commie said:

You don't need to be a hater to see flaws in games that have them. Especially if you like the games in question. The "immortal triad" games (certainly PST and Arcanum) have a lot of flaws.
Only rabid fanboys think differently - the games they like must be aboslutely perfect and anyone who disagrees is obviously a hater.

BTW, clarification: I was just analyzing the common codex behaviour, not really taking sides.

Phelot

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
phelot said:
DefJam101 said:
Huh? TWitcher's CnC wasn't bad. It was the rough translation, shallow combat and lack of character development options that people (rightfully) criticized. From an action/adventure perspective it's pretty fun.

I must disagree. I felt that the CnC was also very poorly made and gimmicky. Lots of choices that simply change uniforms or replace one uber weapon with a different uber weapon, decide which red haired lady you fuck, etc etc...

I would say that the Chapter 2 murder investigation had some nice CnC (despite the God awful translation that made it incredibly hard to figure out what I was actually discovering) except that fingering (heh) the wrong person made little difference. You still fight that dude at the swamps and the game still takes away your option to kill the guy. Just some arbitrary "WE WILL FINISH THIS LATER D00D! YOU CAN COUNT ON IT!"

So, better than most crpgs including the all-time greats, then? Swapping weapons and allies is better than what 99% of crpgs offer, including Deus Ex, PS:T and Bloodlines. Most crpgs don't have ANY practical consequences of C+C - just story consequences.

Not to get into the definition of CnC or "what it should be" but the faction colors or women I fuck are the least of my interests in CnC. I'd prefer different ways of completing my goals with appropriate consequences.

Using the Chapter 2 murder investigation as an example again, it was cool that you could point your finger at different people and then fight them. Originally I pointed out Ramsmeat (name?) and killed him and I don't even think the game made it clear that I made a mistake (which I also liked) but of course there's no consequences. Killing him doesn't seem to show any consequences later on.

Really, my main beef with CnC as a feature, is that it's very gimmicky and tends to do very little other then change end game slides or faction colors. I'd rather they didn't even put it in.

.Sigurd

Educated
I like how they are getting the C&C and putting it on the gameplay, like Fallout. I hate when C&C is limited to dialogues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom