Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 2 info

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only the sex cards are canon.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Lesifoere said:
I don't think the games are canon, but Sapkowski has sanctioned them, so... I don't know really, can some Poles enlighten us? Does Sapkowski say this is canon post final novel, or has he remained silent, raking in the licensing fees?

Mikayel said:
MicoSelva said:
Lesifoere said:
Isn't Yennefer dead by the time the novels are done? Or something?

Yeah. Geralt too.

You fucking assholes. I realize that all the novels won't be translated in the amount of time I'd still have patience to read them but FUCKING SPOILER TAG GADDAMIT

Pfft, it's all right. The novels are getting translated so slowly there's no point in waiting. At the rate it's going we'll see Time of Anger by... late 2011? Which would make the entire series translated by 2013-2014 at the very earliest. It doesn't seem to be doing well commercially, either.

Time of Anger
:shock:

Time of Anger
:retarded:

Time of Anger
:x

Time of Anger
:rage:

Who the fuck is responsible for the translation I ask. THE FUCK :x

Jesus Christ help me I'm gonna murder someone. The first two books in English were bad enough, but from the title of this one says it all - the translators cannot into English!! I mean you take a dictionary, you look up "pogarda" - the very first word that comes out is "disdain" and the second is 'contempt', fuckers.

"The Time of Disdain" or "The Time of Contempt"

I know that translating novels is hard as fuck, and translating anything by Sapkowski (who pretty much mastered Polish + other slavic langueges on the level of academics) takes humongous amount of talent in order not to fuck up. But people, if even I can notice such an obvious failure that means this is bound to suck hard.

At times like this I really start considering making a pirate translation for the book they skipped 'The Sword of Destiny' - which to me is the best in the whole cycle. I'm rather poor at translating but I would surely do better than the people who get paid for it. :decline:

It doesn't seem to be doing well commercially, either.

Why? Two things - first, monkeys were responsible for translation; second the marketing shows the series as another pulp fiction on the level of Gaider's. And frankly, just reading one page from English book I had impression it was.

Well, I am not convinced enough about the game to pre-order, but the lack of DRM is certainly a large bonus.

About this GoG business; Has anyone asked them a) how large is the download? and b) Can their servers work at better than dial up speed with so many people ordering the game?

Ancient

Erudite
Blackadder said:
About this GoG business; Has anyone asked them a) how large is the download? and b) Can their servers work at better than dial up speed with so many people ordering the game?

I bet they will prepare for this , maybe rent dozen servers temporary.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Nice Don Quixote reference.

Still, I am not impressed. Good controls should be intuitive. If I have to spend long hours looking in an instruction manual, and still find little or no help, I'm not going to bother playing.

Target on stairs WAS impossible.

I will give it one more chance. On GOOD recommendations.

And I did not suggest it was an RPG, so maybe you were lacking when I asked for the jump button? It seems very twitch-based, as someone recognized, and I'd recommend in any Arcadey-action game that standard features be included that are common to "All other" Arcadey-action games.

DraQ

Arcane
ArcturusXIV said:
Requesting dumbfuck!! tag in General RPG, repeat, requesting dumbfuck!! tag in General RPG!

And I did not suggest it was an RPG
Developers did and it was far more RPGish than, say, Divinity 2 which half of the codex considers to be RPG, so I'd say they were right.

Jump button would be useful, if only for handling those annoying little fences, but by no means essential, and there was jumping in combat.

Also, I don't remember *anything* unintuitive about the interface.

hiver

Tomek Gop :

We designed the game in that way, that eventual console version of Witcher 2 won't force us to change the interface, redesign the gameplay, controls and so on. We attempted to [project the game in that way] that making a console version would be really easy for us.

http://www.gamezilla.pl/content/tomek-g ... na-konsole

No point and click interface, No different camera PoVs, Bioware dialogue, QTE`s.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
hiver said:
Tomek Gop :

We designed the game in that way, that eventual console version of Witcher 2 won't force us to change the interface, redesign the gameplay, controls and so on. We attempted to [project the game in that way] that making a console version would be really easy for us.

http://www.gamezilla.pl/content/tomek-g ... na-konsole

No point and click interface, No different camera PoVs, Bioware dialogue, QTE`s.

YAWN.

Phelot

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
What the everloving fuck about TW is "arcadey"? Seriously.

Push the button to watch your character do awesome dance moves that kill hundreds of hopeless enemies

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
phelot said:
Lesifoere said:

Push the button to watch your character do awesome dance moves that kill hundreds of hopeless enemies

When did that take place in TW1 I wonder? Perhaps on easy level - that's perfectly possible. I didn't bother with it.

You're sure you did not play Diablo or something?

Quilty

Magister
On the hardest difficulty level I had to use alchemy to fight enemies, and couldn't chain my attacks as often as I wanted to. Pretty much had to run away every now and again just to heal and cast a few spells (or whatever they're called, signs). But the combat itself wasn't too engaging. You just watched the sword and left click when you saw an orange flash on your blade. Pretty arcadey if you ask me.

In any case, I didn't play that game just for the combat. It was the world and the atmosphere that really worked.

Phelot

Arcane
Mrowak said:
phelot said:
Lesifoere said:

When did that take place in TW1 I wonder? Perhaps on easy level - that's perfectly possible. I didn't bother with it.

You're sure you did not play Diablo or something?

It most certainly happened in TW1 on any difficulty. The illusion of complex combat brought on by queer acrobatics when in reality we were just pressing the attack button when told to do so. QTE combat at it's "finest."

Dantus12

Educated
The Witcher combat mechanics are in the books,the game very closely followed the descriptions of Geralt`s combat meachanics,or in general a Witcher`s combat mechanics.

It perfectly makes sense with their mutations,and the entire lore evolves around the superhuman combat abilities of Witchers.

I don`t like when it happens suddenly in games,as a form of "more responsive combat",but it works for Witchers.

Batman without flying wouldn`t be the same either.

Addan Anye, the Fiery Dancer stile is exactly as described in a scene in Sapkowski`s books.

Phelot

Arcane
Dantus12 said:
The Witcher combat mechanics are in the books,the game very closely followed the descriptions of Geralt`s combat meachanics,or in general a Witcher`s combat mechanics.

It perfectly makes sense with their mutations,and the entire lore evolves around the superhuman combat abilities of Witchers.

I don`t like when it happens suddenly in games,as a form of "more responsive combat",but it works for Witchers.

Addan Anye, the Fiery Dancer stile is exactly as described in a scene in Sapkowski`s books.

And if combat was performed via key combinations a la Blade of Darkness (which I thought TW might be like) or shit even Risen then I wouldn't have a problem with it regardless of how flamboyant it is, but as it stands you push a button = fruity dance happens.

Is it trying to be an action RPG or just a pretty display of atmosphere, sex, and ballet moves?

Dantus12

Educated
phelot said:
Dantus12 said:

And if combat was performed via key combinations a la Blade of Darkness (which I thought TW might be like) or shit even Risen then I wouldn't have a problem with it regardless of how flamboyant it is, but as it stands you push a button = fruity dance happens.

Is it trying to be an action RPG or just a pretty display of atmosphere, sex, and ballet moves?

Not sure that Ol` Aurora would be able to deal with it back then in TW,and Risen`s combat doesn`t contain the necessary acrobatics for a Witcher,and even Blade of Darkness combat doesn`t come near to the "spectacularity requirements"of Witcher combat styles.The desire for key combos I understand,and want them to in a majority of games.
The click annoyance for me was reduced when taking the OTS view,simply because I felt like I`m influencing it by evading or "doing something',even if I don`t.

Phelot

Arcane
Dantus12 said:
phelot said:
Dantus12 said:

Not sure that Ol` Aurora would be able to deal with it back then in TW,and Risen`s combat doesn`t contain the necessary acrobatics for a Witcher,and even Blade of Darkness combat doesn`t come near to the "spectacularity requirements"of Witcher combat styles.The desire for key combos I understand,and want them to in a majority of games.
The click annoyance for me was reduced when taking the OTS view,simply because I felt like I`m influencing it by evading or "doing something',even if I don`t.

I meant the controls in the style of Blade of Darkness, not the actual moves. I see no reason why you can't use a combo of some sort to get Geralt to do his behind the back stabbing thing, for example. You're probably right about Aurora, but still the whole experience was a huge let down for me. I really wanted combat that was more then testing the player's ability to watch a sword...

Quilty

Magister
By the way, is there any way (mod patch, trainer, whatever) that lets you skip the first part of the game, the outskirts? I'd really like something similar to that BG2 mod that lets you skip Irenicus' dungeon. I'm asking because I've never finished the game and the whole initial part with the burning dog is so annoying to me by now.

relootz

Scholar
Which potato head can buy the Special CE for me. Might be a nice investment.

MapMan

Arcane
Ive never made it through the outskits to the city. Does the game get better there? :/

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
MapMan said:
Ive never made it through the outskits to the city. Does the game get better there? :/

Exponentially. Chapter 1 is a complete drag, it's what puts me off replaying even with the ~Enhanced Edition~
Chapter 2-3 is the definite highlight of the game. Chapter 4 is pretty cool too, it's more or less what the outskirts should have been.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
DraQ said:
ArcturusXIV said:
Requesting dumbfuck!! tag in General RPG, repeat, requesting dumbfuck!! tag in General RPG!

And I did not suggest it was an RPG
Developers did and it was far more RPGish than, say, Divinity 2 which half of the codex considers to be RPG, so I'd say they were right.

Jump button would be useful, if only for handling those annoying little fences, but by no means essential, and there was jumping in combat.

Also, I don't remember *anything* unintuitive about the interface.

Real-time combat="Arcadey." Request dumbfuck!!! tag back.

Divinity 2 was action-rpg, and marketed itself and such.

Jump button can be used for dodging, sweeping, uppercuts, in sync with other buttons, since this is a combat-style game anyway. See: Dungeon Lords, or shit Jap-RPG "Legend of Dragoon" with same wank button-mash technique, which was only saving grace in an otherwise torpid and stale world.

As far as targeting on stairs, get over it. I am! I stopped playing the damn thing when I realized the interface wasn't intuitive, and they hadn't got it after 5 renditions of patches! Therefore, get off my Island, I hereby sanctify this thread "Arcturia" and all need to apply for citizenship before they post stupid replies and the "Moron" falls out of their "mouth" again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom