Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THE WITCHER 2 is upon us!

a budda

Arbiter
heh, beat me to it
will have to pirate playboy

made

Arcane
Seems like such a waste to start a huge marketing campaign just for Poland. Pollacks will buy it anyway (those who won't pirate that is), should focus more on the international market imo.

made

Arcane
I'm talking about the marketing campaign they spent the last 15 minutes hyping up, Playboy, magazine ads, props in stores and whatnot.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Can you imagine the butthurt many a potato would feel if they were ignored in the marketing campaign? I bet they want to avoid that. Plus, they said they want to reach non-gamers with their ads.

Gerrard

Arcane
sick said:
iit uses SecuROM so that game is nonplayable before release date
Funny, considering that people who bought the potato CE will get the game before official release date.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
What worries me is that SecuROM trash. I remember plenty of people had problems with it. Also, I somehow feel gog version won't be DRM free in that case :/

Captain Shrek

Guys.

I am disappoint at all this.

Securom is bad no matter what. I am seriously hope that they release a patch to take it off as soon as it hits the market (shelves). Or they are again the same useless company that sells broken things which transmit your private data.

Gerrard said:
sick said:
iit uses SecuROM so that game is nonplayable before release date
Funny, considering that people who bought the potato CE will get the game before official release date.

But they are smart potatoes not some Bioware amateurs so CE will have diffrent activation patch that works from 12th of May.

sick

Educated
made said:
sick said:
all language verions for every copy of game as downloads for free!
Any more info on this? I missed the first half of the conference.

you buy game - you get a few languages (dvd's dont have infinite space) but you can freely download others if you register the game. however he didnt say if it will be possible to have different languages of VO and subtitles. also works with gog.com version (does not contain polish language) - you buy it, DL it and then DL any language packs you want.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You know, I think it's time...

... to preorder :yeah:

Shame about the Securom shit, though, but I ain't buying it from gog when I can get it from potatoshop for half the price :M

made

Arcane
sick said:
made said:
sick said:
all language verions for every copy of game as downloads for free!
Any more info on this? I missed the first half of the conference.

you buy game - you get a few languages (dvd's dont have infinite space) but you can freely download others if you register the game. however he didnt say if it will be possible to have different languages of VO and subtitles. also works with gog.com version (does not contain polish language) - you buy it, DL it and then DL any language packs you want.

Day 1 or "some time down the road"?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Most important among these characters is – so far at least – Triss Merigold, the sorceress and lover of Geralt. She is – thus far in the game – only one of two women to expose her breasts, and it’s done surprisingly tastefully. Triss is there to be sexy, but fortunately the attitude towards her seems bawdy rather than offensive. She’s brilliantly sarcastic and makes for a strong female lead in game that is set up to be overly masculine. She does walk like she’s on a catwalk at all times, of course… but at least she doesn’t take any shit. Geralt has so far kept his trouser-snake on a much tighter leash, too, and I suspect one of the major choices in the game is going to be whether you stay faithful to Triss or get it on with the game’s other bosomed beauties.

Incoming TASTEFUL!

Mrowak

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Mrowak said:
Also, I somehow feel gog version won't be DRM free in that case :/

How many games on GOG have DRM?

None, but...

How many GOG games are new releases?

Anyway, by DRM I meant that SecuROM thing - because it works like DRM - it manages digital rights. I am somewhat doubtful TWitcher 2 from GOG won't have it. Knowing my luck with all kinds of security measures it is me whose computer is going to have some major issues with it. :/

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Mrowak said:
Jaesun said:
Mrowak said:

None, but...

Anyway, by DRM I meant that SecuROM thing - because it works like DRM - it manages digital rights. I am somewhat doubtful TWitcher 2 from GOG won't have it. Knowing my luck with all kinds of security measures it is me whose computer is going to have some major issues with it. :/
From the FAQ:
Is The Witcher 2 really going to be completely DRM free? It's a brand-new game!

Yes. We will never sell our customers games with DRM and GOG.com is the one and only place to get The Witcher 2 without any form of DRM.
So either it will have no DRM or they are lying.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Mrowak said:
Jaesun said:
Mrowak said:

None, but...

Everything's possible, but I don't find it very likely now. Maybe it a relief, after finding out that CDPR won't require, from theirs customers, to tarnish themselvs by registring a steam account, but puting DRM on GoG version, after all this talky talk, would make them blatant liers.
Then again, CDPR and GOG are not known for particularly reasonable PR stunts...

There had to be some DRM on physical version, no doubt about that, or pirating it would become way too easy. Something like one disc circulating through entire neighbourhoods, everyone installing the game and passing the disc along. With GOG version, you'd have to make at least some effort, to burn it in the first place - and gamers buying at GoG may be somewhat more scrupulous.
Torrent versions will pop up right away, there is no way around it, but it is not different from any other game, DRM or not.

Mrowak

Arcane
Gordon Freeman said:
Mrowak said:
Jaesun said:
Mrowak said:

None, but...

Everything's possible, but I don't find it very likely now. Maybe it a relif, after finding out that CDPR won't require, from theirs customers, to tarnish themselvs be registring a steam account, but puting DRM on GoG version, after all this talky talk, would make them blatant liers.
Then again, CDPR and GOG are not known for particularly reasonable PR stunts...

Knowing my fellow countrymen they might pull off something like "but SecuROM is not DRM!!1111".

There had to be some DRM on physical version, no doubt about that, or pirating it would become way too easy. Something like one disc circulating through entire neighbourhoods, everyone installing the game and passing the disc along. With GOG version, you'd have to make at least some effort, to burn it in the first place - and gamers buying at GoG may be somewhat more scrupulous.
Torrent versions will pop up right away, there is no way around it, but it is not different from any other game, DRM or not.

Actually, with GOG version pirating would be much simpler.

1. You download the game.
2. You take it on a flash stick.
3. You visit all your neighbours.
4. Profit (or lack of thereof).

With CD you'd have to break its security - I bet that as with TWitcher I you will have to have CD in your drive to play (they removed this constraint in Enhanced Edition).

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Mrowak said:

Actually, with GOG version pirating would be much simpler.

1. You download the game.
2. You take it on a flash stick.
3. You visit all your neighbours.
4. Profit (or lack of thereof).

With CD you'd have to break its security - I bet that as with TWitcher I you will have to have CD in your drive to play (they removed this constraint in Enhanced Edition).
Did they say something about double DRM? Either online activation or CD-check, as I take it.
I'd prefer DRM to be a CD-check though. Still, my neighbourhood example was about completely DRM-free DVD. No activation and no CD-check.

Mrowak said:
Knowing my fellow countrymen they might pull off something like "but SecuROM is not DRM!!1111".

That wouldn't suprise me at all considering all the PR how DRM is evil and they hate it and then they pull out the securom, activations and downloadable unlocks bullshit.

This potato is very angry with CDP at this moment

: x

dr. one

Augur
GarfunkeL said:
Incoming TASTEFUL!
ss_preview_tw_dojmy_38.jpg.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom