Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 2 - some stuff from the Eastern Front

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,95338,7 ... akcji.html

So the info in the nut-shell:
- The work started just after the releasing of the first game
- TW2 is currently in alpha version
- Three main differences between TW1 and TW2:
* More non-linear story
* There will be a lot more of traveling, something about CDPR wanting to show off different environments
* The combat system stays the same with some stuff added - you won't only fight using QTE (let the shit-storm commence)

Be advise, Russian>Polish>English translation.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Hmm, biggest thing I didnt like about the Witcher was the linear story progression. Sounds like they are opening up the story and world for TW2.....

+1

MetalCraze

Arcane
The combat system stays the same
TW1 has one of the worst combat systems ever.
Hey but it now has "some" stuff added - like adding a spoon of sugar to the barrel of shit - I bet it'll help.

Also why is this in RPG discussion?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
MetalCraze said:
Also why is this in RPG discussion?
Probably because it's news about an action RPG a lot of people enjoy and it's discussable.

DraQ said:
MetalCraze said:
"Unimpressive" - agreed, but "worst ever"?

One of the most terrible control schemes ever devised, with the added fun of not being able to leave areas or loot when in general combat mode ie. having enemies somewhere nearby, making killing millions of chump enemies necessary.

More travelling, I hope not by foot again. If there ever was a game where I grew sick of going places, it is The Witcher. Maybe they could give you a teleporter, or at least a helicopter.

vrok

Liturgist
THIS JUST IN: WASD+MOUSELOOK IS NOW ONE OF THE MOST TERRIBLE CONTROL SCHEMES EVER DEVISED!!! MORE AT ELEVEN!

DraQ

Arcane
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
One of the most terrible control schemes ever devised
Really?

with the added fun of not being able to leave areas or loot when in general combat mode
Sounds like a reasonable fix to various egregious exploits and lulzworthy stuff.

ie. having enemies somewhere nearby
Not.

More travelling, I hope not by foot again. If there ever was a game where I grew sick of going places, it is The Witcher. Maybe they could give you a teleporter
They did.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Combat was pretty bad but I can overlook that if they add some actual consequences to the choices you make other than after-the-fact cut scenes that have little bearing on game play. Traveling did get pretty boring after awhile -- especially in the swamp where there was an unnecessary amount of blocked off paths. Still, I'm sure it will be a good game. Not $50 good, but good nonetheless.

Elzair

Cipher
You Polonophobists need to cut them a break. Poland has made great progress since it forgot about communishm ~20 years ago. CDProjekt is not just a video-game designer/publisher, it is also a testbed for plenty of new technology in Poland. For instance, the Witcher featured blacksmithing, a technique for molding iron discovered by Poland in 2005.

foobie-bletch

Novice
Hey, give Witcher a break. The Polish version had awesome voice acting. I know the English one has Geralt speaking like JC Denton on Valium, but Polish voice acting kicks ass.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
I didn't mind the voice acting in the English Witcher. Atleast pre-enhanced version.

For example, the enhanced version gave the king a really shitty voice. In the original he was booming and manly.

vrok said:
THIS JUST IN: WASD+MOUSELOOK IS NOW ONE OF THE MOST TERRIBLE CONTROL SCHEMES EVER DEVISED!!! MORE AT ELEVEN!

Luckily it at least had exciting QTE combat (which is 80% of the game) with realistic jerky movement, otherwise it would have completely sucked.

DraQ said:
Sounds like a reasonable fix to various egregious exploits and lulzworthy stuff.

Sounds like annoying as hell, and exploits like not wanting to have a QTE match with another 15 drowners sound like the kind of exploits that are perfectly natural to RPG's.

ie. having enemies somewhere nearby
Not.

Combat mode starts, can't enter swamp cavern or pick up stuff. Result : must take drowner-repelling talisman off because it actually doesn't help at all, player pissed off at shitty game design.

More travelling, I hope not by foot again. If there ever was a game where I grew sick of going places, it is The Witcher. Maybe they could give you a teleporter
They did.

You mean those mirrors or something I don't remember? That was not enough.

foobie-bletch

Novice
Hey, noticed that PR materials always talk about combat, chunks of meat flying after criticals, over 9000 ways to kill the enemy, etc. But never about the writing quality, dialogues, story.

Action-"RPG" is a genre targeted toward the lowest common denominator. They don't want anything that might surprise them because it might scare/insult/confuse them. The confusion stems from "RPG" in the genre name, even though often there's no role-playing involved. They try to piggyback on the RPG genre to get some recognition, or something.

If someone wants to play an RPG, they won't like an Action-"RPG" like Witcher anyway. Not because some of pet peeves like inability to loot while in combat, but more serious stuff, like linear plot, batshit insane 'final boss', endless pointless fighting, etc.

Guys, do you talk about anything but Dragon Age here? I wanted to create a topic about which RPG to play next, but I'll be considered a troll if I did so. So I boost my post count before I create new threads, basically.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Doing minutes after minutes doing nothing but jogging at a slow pace serves no gameplay purpose, unless you consider gawking at the cool art direction.
fix

MetalCraze

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
MetalCraze said:

No, that would be Arcanum.

I said one of. Besides in Arcanum you control your character, while in TW you play a QTE minigame just to hit an enemy and in Arcanum there was a much bigger variety than a melee combat btw. So no - Arcanum's combat is way better.

DraQ said:
MetalCraze said:
"Unimpressive" - agreed, but "worst ever"?

I truly can't imagine how people can find a combat where you click mouse button on cue for hours just to see the same melee animations with 2 swords max again and again and throw one of two useful spells (out of only 5 max) once in a while - fun. Because you can't do anything else. This is beyond primitive - how can it be enjoyed at all?

relootz

Scholar
I thought The Witcher was a great RPG (~~ action) and i am not Polish! Will definitively buy TW 2 if it isnt utter rubbish.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
MetalCraze said:
I said one of. Besides in Arcanum you control your character, while in TW you play a QTE minigame just to hit an enemy and in Arcanum there was a much bigger variety than a melee combat btw. So no - Arcanum's combat is way better.

Witcher's combat is 'functional', as in, it's not terrific but also not terrible. Most fights end rather fast so they aren't an utter chore, while Arcanum's combat is one of those that makes you go 'AAAAAAAAA NOT ANOTHER FIGHT' each time you have to spend another 10 minutes shooting another 6 monkeys attacking you on Thanatos.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
MetalCraze said:
I truly can't imagine how people can find a combat where you click mouse button on cue for hours just to see the same melee animations with 2 swords max again and again and throw one of two useful spells (out of only 5 max) once in a while - fun. Because you can't do anything else. This is beyond primitive - how can it be enjoyed at all?
Diablo - shit combat system 'cause you click-click-click
Dungeon Siege - shit combat system 'cause you click once and then you watch it fight by itself
The Witcher - shit combat system 'cause you click-wait for a sign-then click
Dragon Age - shit combat system 'cause you click once and then you watch it fight by itself

so skyway, which system is actually good ? ( enough for you anyway )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom