Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher delayed

yarpen

Novice
Bradylama said:
MasPingon said:
You know, I don't have a good ansfer for that. From what I saw it could be both. There will be some places where you just go from one location to another (suburb(?) of Wyzima -> Wyzima) and locations that are far away from each other, which just pop up on map. I can't tell you precisely.

I think I have a good idea, thanks.

Last question: Madej is ok with you answering questions like this?
I dont think Madej has seen this thread yet :wink:. Anyway, as long as he doesnt include spoilers, we're fine with that.

slamelov

Novice
I hope they have no problem taking the time they need.
The Witcher is one of the most promising RPG since... since... since?. I can't remember. AoD also, of course.

Regards

Excrément

Arbiter
slamelov said:
I hope they have no problem taking the time they need.

You ...

slamelov said:
The Witcher is one of the most promising RPG

...are...

slamelov said:
since... since... since?. I can't remember.

...a...

slamelov said:
AoD also, of course.

...cock...

slamelov said:

...sucker.

P.S : dont't forget to add on your sig "oblivion is for TEH KIDDOS" next time.

Mamon

Scholar
I am late, but let me get this straight. The game is probably as big as OB but instead of free-roaming, the way the areas are more linear.

If so, then buy. Most of the free-roaming games bore me to epic proportions.

Ausir

Arcane
Yeah, linearity isn't necessarily that bad. After all, PS:T is pretty linear and is still one of the best cRPGs ever.

Amasius

Augur
Ausir said:
Yeah, linearity isn't necessarily that bad. After all, PS:T is pretty linear and is still one of the best cRPGs ever.
True, but its great despite the linearity, not because of.

Hory

Erudite
Hah, everyone is falling for the hype, but Witcher is going to be as linear, hack & slashy and cliched as the other RPGs.

Ladonna

Arcane
What 'Other' RPG's are you talking about Hory? And as opposed to which RPG's? What inside info have you managed to get?

Hory

Erudite
Ladonna said:
What 'Other' RPG's are you talking about Hory? And as opposed to which RPG's? What inside info have you managed to get?
Well, pretty much every RPG excluding the 5% represented by the Black Isle/Troika/etc classics. I don't have inside info, I just see the promises which they make, the kind which usually turn out to be not so true. Besides the hype, there is little to look at. What experience does CD-Projekt have in making CRPGs, RPGs, or even computer games for that matter? A few translations aren't enough.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hory said:
Ladonna said:
Besides the hype, there is little to look at. What experience does CD-Projekt have in making CRPGs, RPGs, or even computer games for that matter? A few translations aren't enough.

What experience did BIS have when they made Fallout? What experience did Bio have when they made BG? If you don't trust a company who never made a PC RPG before to make a good first game, then you'll never see anything good anymore, seeing that all the great developing companies are dead already. Also, when you think that way, all indies should suck because they don't have previous experience. But they don't.

Hory

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
What experience did BIS have when they made Fallout? What experience did Bio have when they made BG? If you don't trust a company who never made a PC RPG before to make a good first game, then you'll never see anything good anymore, seeing that all the great developing companies are dead already. Also, when you think that way, all indies should suck because they don't have previous experience. But they don't.
Well, according to MobyGames, people who have worked on Fallout have also collaborated on the creation of the following games:
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, a group of 49 people
Stonekeep, a group of 36 people
M.A.X.: Mechanized Assault and Exploration, a group of 31 people
Blood & Magic, a group of 30 people
Conquest of the New World, a group of 27 people
Waterworld, a group of 26 people
Norse By Norse West: The Return of the Lost Vikings, a group of 26 people
Carmageddon, a group of 25 people
Star Trek: Judgment Rites, a group of 23 people
Atomic Bomberman, a group of 19 people
Mummy: Tomb of the Pharaoh, a group of 18 people

And in the case of Baldur's Gate, 32 people that worked on Fallout worked on BG too.

sabishii said:
What experience does VD have in making RPGs? :wink:
And when was AoD released and acknowledged as a true example of CRPG goodness?
Perhaps it will be - at least VD and the team aren't trying to appeal to the simple preferences of mainstream market with constant poking from mainstream publishers such as Atari.

sabishii

Arbiter
Well, according to MobyGames, people who have worked on Fallout have also collaborated on the creation of the following games:
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, a group of 49 people
Stonekeep, a group of 36 people
M.A.X.: Mechanized Assault and Exploration, a group of 31 people
Blood & Magic, a group of 30 people
Conquest of the New World, a group of 27 people
Waterworld, a group of 26 people
Norse By Norse West: The Return of the Lost Vikings, a group of 26 people
Carmageddon, a group of 25 people
Star Trek: Judgment Rites, a group of 23 people
Atomic Bomberman, a group of 19 people
Mummy: Tomb of the Pharaoh, a group of 18 people
So what's your point there? The Fallout devs had NO experience working on any (good) RPGs, yet they made the fine(st) RPG. Which contradicts your statement that "Witcher is going to be as linear, hack & slashy and cliched as the other RPGs" because CD-Projekt has no experience "in making CRPGs, RPGs, or even computer games."

Mamon

Scholar
*before Donkey Kong was created

There is no way that idiot of Miyamoto is going to make a videogame, much less one revolutionary or succesful. Why? Because he´s never made one!

*Miyamoto makes DK.

Hory

Erudite
sabishii said:
So what's your point there? The Fallout devs had NO experience working on any (good) RPGs, yet they made the fine(st) RPG. Which contradicts your statement that "Witcher is going to be as linear, hack & slashy and cliched as the other RPGs" because CD-Projekt has no experience "in making CRPGs, RPGs, or even computer games."
"What's my point"? Have you read JarlFrank's post to which I have replied? He asked what experience did they have. That's my point - that they had experience in RPGs, tactical games and adventure games. And the times worked in their favor a lot more than today, when publishers expect developers to invest most of their time in superficial eye-candy.

Mamon said:
*before Donkey Kong was created

There is no way that idiot of Miyamoto is going to make a videogame, much less one revolutionary or succesful. Why? Because he´s never made one!

*Miyamoto makes DK.
Don't be naive. DK is different to Witcher on too many levels. The fact that DK could be developed proves nothing related to Witcher.
1) Maybe Miyamoto was a visionary, a genius, whatever, who didn't need much experience in making a game. How likely is it that all the people (or even half of them) involved in Witcher are also revolutionary visionaries?
2) Miyamoto had huge freedom in implementing his vision. The commercial success that publishers aim for today has nothing to do with "true CRPGs", even if Witcher devs would like to do one. The market has different expectations today.
3) Maybe Miyamoto's game was a revolutionary concept, but how does that apply to Witcher? Even if they do a good and true CRPG, what will be so revolutionary about it? It's an existing genre.
4) Miyamoto's work may have been revolutionary gameplay-wise, but it had minimal art, music, no writing, no storytelling or branching. There are a lot of (indie) mini-games (comparable to DK) with interesting gameplay which have been released by people with good ideas - perhaps it's not THAT hard. But how many quality CRPGs do you see being released with the same frequency?
5) DK wasn't entirely original. Game & Watch games have existed before it, and offered similar (if simpler) gameplay. In fact, Donkey Kong was even later adapted for Game & Watch. It's easy to copy a simple gameplay-mechanic and slightly increase its complexity. But how can you copy a CRPG? Maybe you copy the system (let's say Witcher would use SPECIAL), but you would still need experienced artists, writers, scripters, etc. They won't even copy the system, they're making it real-time.

sabishii

Arbiter
"What's my point"? Have you read JarlFrank's post to which I have replied? He asked what experience did they have. That's my point - that they had experience in RPGs, tactical games and adventure games. And the times worked in their favor a lot more than today, when publishers expect developers to invest most of their time in superficial eye-candy.
Again, any experience != good experience. Tell me if any of those games you listed are good RPGs that some number of people here would like. On the other hand, Bethesda has experience in RPGs, e.g. Oblivion. Does that mean Fallout 3 will be the best RPG ever? What about Chris Taylor and Dungeon Siege? He had experience in making a game right there. Must meen Space Siege will be the best game ever, right? :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom