Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher gameplay video

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
The guys over at CDProjekt posted a video that's supposed to show the non-linearity of the storyline, but instead shows the Leipzig Game Con gameplay demo in which we are presented with various ways of quest-solving.

Here's the linkie: http://www.thewitcher.com/files/GC_2005_Storyline.rar

Looks promising. I especially like the option to get the guard drunk. Still, I wonder why the guards didn't call for help when they got attacked by those bandits, whereas the dev-guy clearly stated that they would ring an alarm-bell when attacked (or did I miss something?).

Oh, and it's got "The Witcher: RPG Redefined" spelled in huge red letters at the end of the clip. I know it's not trendy to change your chatchphrases in the middle of hype-season, but, damn, they really ought to choose something less absurd. Seems to work for Ze Germans, though (according to some previews I read. One even explicitly stated that: "The game shows great potential of actually redefining the genre" or something like that).

merry andrew

Erudite
That game looks totally awesome, I dunno. I think we're gonna need an Oblivion in-game demo video to make this a fair fight.

Spazmo

Erudite
Now, I'll admit I haven't carefully reviewed all the Witcher videos, screenshots and other PR materials, but I'm pretty sure that CD Projekt's game doesn't have balls, fuzzy balls, or fuzzy balls dangling off of minotaurs.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Hmmm. It's certainly coming along, but:

That big 'congratulations' banner after you get inside the gates suggests heavily linear, mission-based gameplay....

And the voice acting's dreadful, but there's always subtitles.

The impression I'm getting is a second-rate 'Gothic', but I really do hope it turns out nice and does well.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
IGN's preview says that combat is a "mouse click-fest". But it looks fantastic, I look forward to playing it.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Twinfalls said:
That big 'congratulations' banner after you get inside the gates suggests heavily linear, mission-based gameplay....

And the voice acting's dreadful, but there's always subtitles.l

I think that the 'congratulations' screen is there just because the episode was simply a short demo.

The voice acting's great, I bet the devs did it themsleves. :lol:

Sandelfron

Scholar
Well the gong's ringing loudly, let's hope the pudding is edible. Let's hope they
do a good job on the localisation; it can really ruin a game if it's translated poorly.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Well, to be fair, we have employees here do placeholder voice acting, until we get the final voice assets in place. Some of them are absolutely hilarious.

For the Tribunal expansion for Morrowind, our sound guy at the time did all the voices in his dead-on impersonation of Meatwad from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I wish we'd kept those around :)

Dhruin

Liturgist
From what I've seen, it's reasonably non-linear. And the dialogue and voiceovers are definitely temporary - when we saw it they didn't want to dwell on the dialogue too much because it was a rough hack.

Sandelfron

Scholar
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

Yes, I was thinking more along the lines of the atrocities committed in e.g. Restricted Area.

Another recent example of bad localisation is MetalHeart, where, apart from
many unintelligible translations in the text in the game, there is an instance
where you hear the voice-actor go 'shit, I've forgotten my line'. :cool:

One might argue that those are budget titles, but that's no reason to skip QA
and release them in that state.

Necropennis

Scholar
This game is looking nice...but will it live to its MASSIVE hype? Let's hope the RT combat is good. That's where a lot o games fail(morrowind anyone?).

kris

Arcane
My game will redefine the world as we know it... it will also innovate it. and have better graphics. I would love that punchline "It looks better than the real world"

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
IGN's preview says that combat is a "mouse click-fest". But it looks fantastic, I look forward to playing it.

CHICKEN! FIGHT LIKE A ROBOT!

Anyway, after watching the video of the Witcher.. Interest ++

Kraszu

Prophet
As for the fight they said that most of the animations are not ready yet.

Ausir

Arcane
The "Congratulations" thingy is probably there only because it's a short demo of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom