Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review The Witcher sucks

Warden

Arbiter
Dgaider said:
Having a set main character is part of what allowed that,

Admit, you'd LOVE to have a set main character in every game you're working on - so that you can feed "your" story down people's throats even better. That, coupled with the uselessness of side quests in the gaidercodex would make a most enjoyable experience. :click next page of the game: :lol:

Crichton

Prophet
I think Planescape: Torment had the same fault. For all the things it did right (and it did them right in some pretty spectacular ways), I know a lot of people who just could not get past the fact that they were forced to play a giant, grey, hulking brute called The Nameless One. If you didn't like him, you would never get to the point of enjoying the actual story.

Which is too bad. Planescape had an awesome story, and so did the Witcher. Having a set main character is part of what allowed that, but also part of what prevented a lot of people from getting into it. A trade-off to keep in mind on the developer side, I suppose.

There's a big difference between restricting the background for the main character (you must play the grey man called the nameless one) and restricting the player's options in game to fit the character (You can't do X, Y or Z because Gerald wouldn't. WWGD?).

The Witcher annoyed me a lot by either a) having Gerry say something I didn't want him to or b) not giving me an option I felt was reasonable.

The worst example of a) was the start of the 2nd-to-last chapter. I'd just chosen to help some soldiers storm a village to free some hostages held captive by elves and dwarves since it was the best way I could see of saving the most hostages, even though I didn't care for the soldiers. Then Gerald starts acting like an anti-dwarf bigot because the game assumes that's why Gerald helped the soldiers, the game gives me no option to explain anything, in fact there's no dialog option at all, Gerry just starts spouting nonsense.

The most eggregious examples of b) were:

1) There's a mob about to burn a witch, many members of the mob are guilty of more serious crimes than hers. I can either let her go scot-free, incuring the wrath of the mob and forcing me to slaughter them all or I can let them string her up while completely ignoring their crimes. There's no option to either a) offer to allow the witch to be tried if the guilty members of the mob would also stand trial (which you'd think would appeal to the priest leading the mob) or b) kill them all.

2) The game constantly gives me options about what I want to do with Gerry's future. I chose "Become a Knight and settle down with the alchemist" but it all ends in tears because Gerry refuses to be a knight, ignoring my input and wanders off into the sunset ignoring the alchemist (she doesn't even appear in the end slides!).

3) I'm hired to find some guy's lost sister. I find her working for a vampire. I kill off the vampire, but the girl doesn't want to go back to her brother. Do I have an option to give her a little traveling money and go tell her brother I lost her? How about just tell her brother she doesn't want to come back and walk away? No, Gerry just drags her back by her hair without consulting me.

All that being said, I still enjoyed the Witcher and I'll try a 2nd playthrough whenever they finally release the super-edition, but it doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence with PS:T.

Without putting too fine a point on it, I wouldn't call the story "awesome". After all the hype about a serious non-cliche C&C plot, I get railroaded into fighting it out with the evil Nazi-eugenics religious-zealot mad dictator and his army of vicious, depraved hideously ugly mutant supermen. Shades of Grey indeed.

Warden said:
Admit, you'd LOVE to have a set main character in every game you're working on - so that you can feed "your" story down people's throats even better.
Maybe Gaider should become a screenwriter. Then that pesky choice and customization wouldn't get in his way and he could do a story he wanted.

Warden

Arbiter
sportforredneck said:
Maybe Gaider should become a screenwriter. Then that pesky choice and customization wouldn't get in his way and he could do a story he wanted.

This is absolutely the best suggestion I've ever read on a forum. I think Bollywood is just about perfect for him - with all the kiss-on-the-lips romances, flowers and fluff. He'd love it.

Warden

Arbiter
sportforredneck said:
kiss-on-the-lips romances
wat

That's how far they go in Bollywood movies to depict romances.. and are even known to censure kisses with a heart appearing on the kiss.
You know those scenes.. they dance tralala and then at the end the main girl and the main boy kiss and the film ends.

Mantiis

Cipher
sportforredneck said:
Warden said:
Admit, you'd LOVE to have a set main character in every game you're working on - so that you can feed "your" story down people's throats even better.

How is it that you haven't been dumbfucked yet?

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Because he really doesn't troll much and is even occasionally funny. Seriously, half the board would be dumbfucked if sport qualified.

Anywho, I haven't played the Witcher but I don't mind an unlikable main character. I think Madame Bovary is the only well written book/movie/game in which I couldn't get past an unlikable main character. I still hate that bitch.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Hamster said:
What was the site that allows people who get this
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /twentysidedtale/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request
to view shamusyoung.com ?
Pretty sure it was http://hidemyass.com/

Volourn said:
"It seems like DU is deliberately posting otherwise inconsequential articles that are sure to incite people, to generate a lot of posts. There is a word for this activity: Trolling."

Oh, please. Codex newsposts have always been nlike this. Dumbass.
Nonsense. When VD posted news, nobody ever complained and the world was full of love and fluffy kittens.

Dgaider said:
I will say that I agree with the guy on one thing: if you're going to force a player to play the role of a specific character in an RPG, that character will need to be appealing or you've just erected an insurmountable barrier for some of your player base. Granted, you're never going to please everyone in this respect, but that's what character customization is supposed to solve. It makes the character more personal -- the player has some ownership over the role they're being asked to play.
Going by the tone of your post, you're not a Witcher fan, I take it?

Silellak said:
So, because some random guy at some random website didn't like it and found it unplayable, that means those of us who think it's awesome are wrong, and that the general concensus of the gaming community is that it's "unplayable."

I wasn't aware that a few people finding a game "unplayable" made it a general fact, but I'll keep that in mind from now on.
Pot. Kettle. Black. By your argument, I can say I wasn't aware that people finding a game "playable" made it a general fact. He's also clearly listed several issues which hampered enjoyment for him (points 3, 4 and 5) beyond just Geralt. Geralt is "step one" in what I assume is a multi-step program going by his comments. What he seems to be suggesting is that the game has several faults which if you're a fanboi, you'll ignore but if you don't quite fall in love with the game, it'll annoy you enough that you can't stand it anymore (as it did him).

Lumpy

Arcane
Warden said:
sportforredneck said:
wat

That's how far they go in Bollywood movies to depict romances.. and are even known to censure kisses with a heart appearing on the kiss.
You know those scenes.. they dance tralala and then at the end the main girl and the main boy kiss and the film ends.
You don't actually watch movies, do you?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Zomg said:
Un-dumbfuck Crichton.
Good God, you're kidding me right? If I do that now, I'll never hear the end of it from the Witcher fanbois. It'll be passed off as some kind of DU conspiracy because he allegedly got all butthurt from the Witcher argument and only did it because Crichton posted something which can be viewed as slightly anti-Witcher.

Zomg

Arbiter
But he just posted a cogent criticism, clearly not dumbfuck material. :cry:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ok, stop. Just stop.

One of these guys doesn't unconstitutionally love your game. That's all right. Some people don't like Gothic because the combat is a bit twitchy and you're always forced to play that nameless dude. Some people don't like The Witcher for similar or for different reasons.

This IS the Codex. You don't HAVE to like everything. It's just very annoying to see that this place has really, really turned into some sort of Witcher advertising hut. And I don't mean DU. At the slightest thing said against "your" game, dozens come out of the woodwork to defend it with a zeal that I miss when it comes to most other things.

Please, accept that not everyone loves The Witcher and that's okay. It's not the second coming; it's just a game like any other, and some like it and some don't. And honestly, liking a game just for the C&C when that's hardly what made the RPG genre big in 1986 to, say, 1994, is really a bit silly, especially when the game is pretty linear and has not that many other RPG elements, but let's not argue this old topic again.

Odds are, something you like very much sucks, or however good Spazmo - mayherestinpeace - phrased that.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Dgaider said:
I will say that I agree with the guy on one thing: if you're going to force a player to play the role of a specific character in an RPG, that character will need to be appealing or you've just erected an insurmountable barrier for some of your player base. Granted, you're never going to please everyone in this respect, but that's what character customization is supposed to solve. It makes the character more personal -- the player has some ownership over the role they're being asked to play.

It's looks, a name no one says out loud, and skills/class/background. The real character defining aspect would be choices made during the game and in dialogues, which doesn't really require the initial character creation bit to make the character feel more in line with what you wanted to play. Torment pulled it off nicely.

Warden said:
sportforredneck said:
wat

That's what I was talking about. Bollywood doesn't have kisses. At least not until recently. Because they don't even like that in their culture. For the creators of the Kama Sutra they are some prudish motherfuckers.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tox: That might be so; but if the initial character puts (shallow/picky) people off, then they will never get that far, and it is difficult to blame them for it.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Maybe this is an essential difference between games and, say, books and films, then. Because I'd much prefer to play and work with a compelling character, rather than one who's a blank slate and as a result never becomes particularly compelling. It's the task of the developer to make that predetermined character interesting, rather than offputting, just as it is the task of the director or screenwriter or novelist.

The RPGs with the best stories and most memorable cast, for me, are PS:T, Anachronox and Fallout. In the first two, you're playing an established, predetermined character. With Fallout - well, the memorable characters are the other cast members, not the PC.

Then you have the JRPGs, which without exception go for the predetermined character. True, most of them are spiky haired emos, but occasionally you get a very compelling story, which couldn't be told any other way - I guess some of the FF games might fall in there, and I hear Chrono Trigger is very good, though I haven't played it.

Finally: Braid - a new game on Xbox Live. It's a 2D platformer that really does rather clever things with story and character - takes the traditional vanilla, nameless 2D hero searching for his princess and makes it surreal and arthouse (without being too poncy). Dunno if you guys have played it or not, but I think some here might appreciate it. Eurogamer's review.

BillyOgawa said:
sportforredneck said:
For the creators of the Kama Sutra they are some prudish motherfuckers.
Wasn't it the British that made them that way?
Sounds like the Brits, although seemingly from my class on religions, it was because of Hinduism or some bullshit like that.
--
Also for the thread, I like offputting main characters. That was one of the things so great about There Will Be Blood. Daniel Plainview is a terrible human being, so offputting that some people hate the movie because of him. But it is beautifully done.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Jasede said:
Tox: That might be so; but if the initial character puts (shallow/picky) people off, then they will never get that far, and it is difficult to blame them for it.

It's more difficult to blame the writer, in my opinion, than some tards who couldn't spend one lousy hour in the game just because the main character has white hair or a limp or something. Torment was great, because it provided a clean slate as well as a backstory, which no longer applied to your character, but was connected all the same; to imagine that someone, anyone, was put off by the initial aspect of not being able to customize the character (lol bigger nose) awakes a new hatred for humans within me.

I mean, Fallout was essentially the same way; you could pick a name, and stats and skills, but looking back you were still the Vault Dweller or the Chosen One. You were still trapped in one single storyline, albeit with several major variables, and that, certainly, must be a point more vital than the lacking ability to change your character's appearance? Surelly.

I guess the standard has become a sandbox and abilities like chosing the color of your teeth, minus any worthwhile main story or character development.

Mr. Teatime said:
Maybe this is an essential difference between games and, say, books and films, then. Because I'd much prefer to play and work with a compelling character, rather than one who's a blank slate and as a result never becomes particularly compelling. It's the task of the developer to make that character interesting, just as it is the task of the director or screenwriter or novelist.

Of course, in a perfect RPG I reckon you'd create that character through your choices and the way you deal with people - but I don't think it's practically possible to get the same level of depth. You might bring Fallout in here, I dunno.

No, you could customize your character at the beginning, sure. But it's cosmetics, really, it's not the important feature for character growth. The important bits are writing, choice and consequence, reactive gameword and so forth, so that your character has the ability to become something different on his own, when compared to, say, a character that I might play.

Mr. Teatime said:
Then you have the JRPGs, which without exception go for the predetermined character. True, most of them are spiky haired emos, but occasionally you get a very compelling story, which couldn't be told any other way - I guess some of the FF games might fall in there, and I hear Chrono Trigger is very good, though I haven't played it.

They're more akin to adventure games, seeing as the story is nearly always a completely linear progression of events, and due to the lack of any meaningful choices you as the player might make. The main protaganist, from what I've seen of jrpgs, is not as much an emo, as he is the silent "..." type, allowing the player to determine for him/herself what thoughts are running through the main character's mind. But all in all, one can't complain about the characters in adventure games, because they are closer to books than games, and one cannot expect to be the hero, only to guide the hero through the storyline by being there and sharing the experience. If the protaganist and his choices doesn't suit your taste, it is simply because you're playing the wrong game, end of story.

Mr. Teatime said:
Finally: Braid - a new game on Xbox Live.

It's coming to the PC as well, apparently, so hey. Might as well try it.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Jasede said:
Ok, stop. Just stop.

One of these guys doesn't unconstitutionally love your game. That's all right. Some people don't like Gothic because the combat is a bit twitchy and you're always forced to play that nameless dude. Some people don't like The Witcher for similar or for different reasons.

This IS the Codex. You don't HAVE to like everything. It's just very annoying to see that this place has really, really turned into some sort of Witcher advertising hut. And I don't mean DU. At the slightest thing said against "your" game, dozens come out of the woodwork to defend it with a zeal that I miss when it comes to most other things.

Please, accept that not everyone loves The Witcher and that's okay. It's not the second coming; it's just a game like any other, and some like it and some don't. And honestly, liking a game just for the C&C when that's hardly what made the RPG genre big in 1986 to, say, 1994, is really a bit silly, especially when the game is pretty linear and has not that many other RPG elements, but let's not argue this old topic again.

Odds are, something you like very much sucks, or however good Spazmo - mayherestinpeace - phrased that.

Have you even tried the witcher yet? i remember you crying that you could only play as geralt.

Warden

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
You don't actually watch movies, do you?

I don't actually watch movies, do I?

Lumpy, don't follow me around, 'cause you'll eventually become my shadow. Believe me, you don't want that to happen.. especially if you have fear of the dark.

aleph

Arcane
They're more akin to movies with some fighting between the scenes, seeing as the story is nearly always a completely linear progression of events,

fixed that for you.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Spectacle said:
How the fuck is some guy writing on his blog about how he doesnt like a certain game front page news???

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom