Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Of course Oblivion's success depends entirely on its first-person view. Otherwise how else would you be able to see the fear in that Orc's eyes?

aboyd

Liturgist
I've really enjoyed their gameplay videos and screenshots. They seem to focus on the dialogues & NPC interactions. I think that's promising! Compare it to Oblivion, where everything released was about the shiny graphics, and when that Russian site released some less-than-perfect screenshots, Beth freaked out, as if perfect graphics was the #1 priority.

These guys seem to have different priorities, and I appreciate that.

-T

Mr.Rocco

Novice
I think this game will be more like Severance:Blade of Darkness, which had fairly engaging combat system in its day. Very light on rpg but heavy on blood and gore.

Kraszu

Prophet
Why do you think so seriosly the severance don't even have dialogues. Some of you ppl are very biased towards games whit action combat the combat is not connected whit dialogues in any way.

Lukas CDPr

Novice
denizsi said:
Yes I've noted that, but if any developer will say that the most important aspect of their RPG under development is combat or exactly this - allow me to quote from the interview - :

"One of the most important elements of the gameplay

There is a small difference between "most important" and "One of the most important elements" :) .

Is there something wrong with the fact that we want to have good combat system? Or do you think that good RPG shouldn't contain fine combat system? Many people are like:great combat or deep storyline. And in CD Projekt we're like: ok, we want it both :)

Winter Night

Novice
Sounds something to look in to. Although how friggin long are they planning on making this game? I feel like its been forever since they announced it.

Looks interesting... and is interesting. I am one of few people who could actually play The Witcher. So I can say only great things about combat. It's fast, spectacular, and has tactical aspects - which depend on the way you developed your character.
But while CDProjekt wants to make traditional RPG, they have to combine it with deep and non-linear story. After few minutes of playing i can't say if they managed it. But there are a lot of interviews, articles, previews, where it seems to be achieved.
If The Witcher is so good as devs promise - it's gonna be great.
One aspect is sure - combat. Something new in traditional RPG. For the rest I believe there also want be any problem:)

Micmu

Magister
YarpenTheReaper we know about The Witcher.
If you wanna be cool give us some new info and don't copy-paste the generic hype.

So tell me what do you know;) I suppose i can give you few details... But i don't know what to start with...

If you know about the game, you probably know something about fighting system. So no single word about this.

But considering weapons i guess i can tell you something new:).
Everyone knows, that Geralt has two swords. Made of steel and silver. First one can be even traditional sword, which you can buy at blacksmith's. There is gonna be a lot of them during the game as I remember , and you'll be able to use different steel swords. (to kill people, not monsters)

While there will be various steel swords, we will use only ONE silver sword. In addition, we aren't gonna to have it from the beginning of the game.
Of course because there is only one sword, you will be able to upgrade it. It's (sword) going to be some kind of magical weapon, and upgrading won't be possible at any blacksmith. Ways of upgreading? Puting runs (something like elve's letters) on it.

It will be easier if you ask some questions... Than i'll try to answer them. I wrote about swords, cause for me it was interesting. I don't know what is interesting for you.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'm interested in what exactly do you have to do - in terms of clicking the mouse / holding the buttons / pressing some keys on the keyboard - when fighting a monster. Is timing really important? If so, do you have to guess and "feel" the right moment for an action or is there a special meter for that?

Something new in traditional RPG

Its not something new in a traditional, it ceases to be traditional when you have an RPG with real time combat. My definition of an old style rpg is a true rpg where you can only battle to the level of skill to which you have developed your character. Where twitch has nothing to do with it.

Secondly if your trying to sell the game based on the upgradeability of the sword, you'd best be hawking this shit elsewhere.

If they're planning on a deep and branching storyling then great stuff, thats a definitely a positive selling point. I'm also not entirely against real time action. It's just that for the majority or "rpgs" that try to implement it, it comes off seriously half baked. Especially when we're talking about swordfighting. Just look at Oblivion and you can see exactly how not to do it.

Elwro said:
I'm interested in what exactly do you have to do - in terms of clicking the mouse / holding the buttons / pressing some keys on the keyboard - when fighting a monster. Is timing really important? If so, do you have to guess and "feel" the right moment for an action or is there a special meter for that?

OK, here we go.

First of all you use only mouse. left utton - attack, right - signs (witcher's magic)
Looks similar to diablo, but it isn't.
When you see an enemy, it's enough to click at him, and Geralt will run there. But now comes something new.

You have single strikes with your sword. Few strikes (ex. 3) makes one attack. And these attacks can be connected into a sequence. You click at the enemy and witcher starts first attack. He hits few times (very fast, you don't get bored) and with the last strike behind the sword appears smudge - something like in Gothic. It showes you that in a second cursor will change - than you have to click again, to chain naxt attack. And here timing is important, although clicking in right moment isn't important. I made sequence consisting even of 4 attacks (as i remember... maybe 3) after few minutes. To fight perfectly you need to train 10 hours, that's what told us one of designers. When your enemy falls down, you can use finisher to kill him - just clicking.
During the fight you can use signs, simply right-clicking.
Last thig we used was moving during the fight. Clicking on the ground will make Geralt to go there, but in a different way i've seen in ex. NWN. He will be turned witch his face to enemy, and you can make circles around him if you want. In addition double clicking on the ground will cause Geralt making somersault there what makes possible to dodge enemy attacks.

Some of your enemies will pushover your character. But then, lying on his back, he will be able to dodge it rolling away - of course clicking.

Holding left click at your enemy causes power-up for your hit which is able to kill at once then. But it takes some time and is impossible to do when you fight with few opponents.

Whole system is really simple.

here you've got film about this. It will be easier to understand:

http://www.thewitcher.com/files/trailers/combat_640x480_en.zip (99mb)

StraitLacedDeviant said:
Secondly if your trying to sell the game based on the upgradeability of the sword, you'd best be hawking this shit elsewhere.

hm... uogreading sword will be a small element... Game for sure wan't be based on it. I wrote about this cause it wasn't mentioned anywhere and for me, as Sapkowski's books fan it was interesting.

And if you don't like real time fight, that's your choise... It's impossible to make everyone happy:)

Elwro

Arcane
Is this the same film as the "E3 combat video"? My Internet connection isn't fast and I don't want to risk 100 MBs.

Also, can you use the keyboard to move Geralt and the mouse just for attacking, or do you really have to rely on mouse only?

Elwro said:
Is this the same film as the "E3 combat video"? My Internet connection isn't fast and I don't want to risk 100 MBs.

Also, can you use the keyboard to move Geralt and the mouse just for attacking, or do you really have to rely on mouse only?

it's that video, and yes, you can use WSAD to move.

Twinfalls - if you suggest that The Witcher will be hack&slash - you are wrong. It's stereotype that in traditionall RPG fighting system must suck. But if you do't believe, it's not my fault.

YarpenTheReaper said:
Twinfalls - if you suggest that The Witcher will be hack&slash - you are wrong. It's stereotype that in traditionall RPG fighting system must suck. But if you do't believe, it's not my fault.

If you're saying traditional rpg = turn based = sucking, then you're in entirely the wrong place.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Ok, enough about fighting. I'm bored of the topic already. It's real-time which means that I'm not going to love it, although if it's done well I can tolerate it.

Tell me something about how quests are handled Yarpen. If not quests, how about dialogue?

ixg

Erudite
YarpenTheReaper said:
Twinfalls - if you suggest that The Witcher will be hack&slash - you are wrong.

I say we tar and feather this Yarpen for lying to us.

hiciacit

Liturgist
YarpenTheReaper said:
...you use only mouse... it's enough to click at him... You click at the enemy ...than you have to click again...clicking ... just clicking...use signs, simply right-clicking... Clicking...double clicking on the ground...of course clicking.

Holding left click.

Summarized. Think if I cut my wrists now I can avoid Carpal Tunnel?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
YarpenTheReaper said:
Elwro said:

it's that video, and yes, you can use WSAD to move.

You can't win this one here - action combat has few friends in these parts (except me and a handful other downtrodden oddballs), timing clicks has even fewer (not even me). So combat is a goner with the Codex. You can still score with quest design and open ended non linear gameplay, multiple paths, etc. Good luck :)

Elwro

Arcane
In unrelated news, Intelligence doesn't influence dialogue, but reputation does.
Honestly, from the video it seems that The Witcher will be as hack'n'slash as it gets, but it doesn't mean it won't be a good role-playing game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hope it can be played using the Wii-remote.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom