Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Witchest blog of them all

MountainWest

Scholar
There's a difference between fucking a topless polygon, and getting rewarded a card of a milkmaid pouring milk on her tits, no? I haven't played Gods of war, but if it's a survival of the strongest kind of setting, hookers are to be expected - as they are in real life. The idea of pin up cards - with the sole reason of providing teens with jack off material - is pathetic. And I'm sure it will be seen as patheteic.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What? The women you lay don't give you collectible cards afterwards? How else are you supposed to show off to your buddies?

I got a quite a few shitty common cards and a few more uncommon, but I have yet to get my hands on an elusive V-card!

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Matt7895 said:
'not even published in English'.

You're wrong. It's being released in the UK too, which surprisingly enough speaks English! Yeah I know, I too thought only America spoke English. And apparently some other countries in Europe get English versions, like Holland, Sweden etc.

Emm not to sound like an ass, but don´t you idiots think he ment the books and not the game (since it hasnt been released yet) when he said that the IP have not ever reached englishspeaking ground..

Inziladun said:
The industry needs more games like God Of War to show you don't have to aim your games at 5 year-olds to get good sales (and the 5 year-olds will probably still buy it anyway)

Pretty sure that God of War is basically aimed at the young crowd who will go "OMG look he cut that guys head off and it's bleeding everywhere! KOOL!" and then there's also "Titties! YAY!"

Zomg

Arbiter
"You guys are making us look like jerks in front of the other mediums!"

sabishii

Arbiter
sportforredneck said:
Inziladun said:
The industry needs more games like God Of War to show you don't have to aim your games at 5 year-olds to get good sales (and the 5 year-olds will probably still buy it anyway)

Pretty sure that God of War is basically aimed at the young crowd who will go "OMG look he cut that guys head off and it's bleeding everywhere! KOOL!" and then there's also "Titties! YAY!"
...And an action game aimed at an older crowd would do what?

sabishii said:

Do you mean older or more mature? Because some older people are still going to get a kick out of a chick fucking minigame because they're retarded.

And to answer the question, an action game for more mature people wouldn't have to include over-the-top violence and random nudity for their enjoyment. Doesn't matter if it's an action game or not. It could include any number of things that makes it more mature.

sabishii

Arbiter
sportforredneck said:
sabishii said:

Do you mean older or more mature? Because some older people are still going to get a kick out of a chick fucking minigame because they're retarded.
You're the one who named the "younger crowd" so, if anything, you're nitpicking your own statement.

And to answer the question, an action game for more mature people wouldn't have to include over-the-top violence and random nudity for their enjoyment. Doesn't matter if it's an action game or not. It could include any number of things that makes it more mature.
So a more mature action game would just NOT have those things? Great, let's just take away stuff from a game so it seems more palpable to some people. Whereas on the other hand, as it stands right now, there are tasteless elements that immature people like and mature people can easily ignore (as it doesn't at all tamper with the actual gameplay), in addition to the highly rated gameplay which is much more important to a "mature" action gamer.

sabishii said:
You're the one who named the "younger crowd" so, if anything, you're nitpicking your own statement.
Well actually what I responded to said "5 year olds" rather than say that, I said younger crowd.

So a more mature action game would just NOT have those things?
Not particularly, I just say that as the easy way out of it. Nudity and the violence could be done in a mature way, hell Greeks are shown naked all the damn time, but they don't really go that route, they just go sex button mashing.

Whereas on the other hand, as it stands right now, there are tasteless elements that immature people like and mature people can easily ignore (as it doesn't at all tamper with the actual gameplay), in addition to the highly rated gameplay which is much more important to a "mature" action gamer.
Fuck the immature people, I don't care if something is optional or not, if it's something that's just plain stupid or used for money generation reasons alone(such as controversy) then you kick that shit out of the game.

sabishii

Arbiter
sportforredneck said:
So a more mature action game would just NOT have those things?
Not particularly, I just say that as the easy way out of it. Nudity and the violence could be done in a mature way, hell Greeks are shown naked all the damn time, but they don't really go that route, they just go sex button mashing.
Well, actually, the Greek gods did seem to have a ball of a time going around screwing bunches of human women.

Whereas on the other hand, as it stands right now, there are tasteless elements that immature people like and mature people can easily ignore (as it doesn't at all tamper with the actual gameplay), in addition to the highly rated gameplay which is much more important to a "mature" action gamer.
Fuck the immature people, I don't care if something is optional or not, if it's something that's just plain stupid or used for money generation reasons alone(such as controversy) then you kick that shit out of the game.
So making more money is a bad thing, now? It's understandable if the tasteless elements actually detracted from the game and dumbed it down (and we know the obvious examples on this board), but that's not the case here. In my mind, a "mature" person would appreciate the actual gameplay beneath the "tastelessness," which he is "mature" enough to simply laugh off.

sabishii said:
Well, actually, the Greek gods did seem to have a ball of a time going around screwing bunches of human women.
They also appeared as swans and nailed women, they should make a minigame of that then too. I was just refering to tasteful sex anyway, meaning less button mashing sex, more orgies.

So making more money is a bad thing, now?
That depends. You could do something you want and make less money, or you could sell out and do shitty stuff you hate for more money, that could be a bad thing. Using shit to make money is a bad thing in my mind, as in the "tits = money" route most games take.

It's understandable if the tasteless elements actually detracted from the game and dumbed it down (and we know the obvious examples on this board),
but that's not the case here.
So threesome sex for health points does not dumb down a game? Would think differently, myself.

In my mind, a "mature" person would appreciate the actual gameplay beneath the "tastelessness," which he is "mature" enough to simply laugh off.
A mature purpose, I would think, would yearn for something less idiotic and want something with actual substance.

sabishii

Arbiter
So threesome sex for health points does not dumb down a game? Would think differently, myself.
You mean one single instance in the first game that took up 1 minute out of a 10 hour play time? Or the almost secret area in the second game that most people would miss unless they read about it in a FAQ (I missed it when I played through it)? How much that affected the game!

A mature purpose, I would think, would yearn for something less idiotic and want something with actual substance.
You would rather play a "mature" game with crappy gameplay, than a game with excellent gameplay but has some easily ignorable "tasteless" elements?

sabishii said:
You mean one single instance in the first game that took up 1 minute out of a 10 hour play time?
Yes. You're telling me one scene of a movie that goes far off from anything that would make sense wouldn't change it for you?

How much that affected the game!
It does. It shows how much whoring out Jaffe is willing to do to get people to play his stupid shit.

You would rather play a "mature" game with crappy gameplay, than a game with excellent gameplay but has some easily ignorable "tasteless" elements?

The obvious choice. But I wouldn't be the one to trust your judgment on what has "excellent gameplay."

sabishii

Arbiter
Yes. You're telling me one scene of a movie that goes far off from anything that would make sense wouldn't change it for you?
If this particular movie had been 10 hours long and this particular scene been 1 minute long, then, no, why the fuck would I care?

It does. It shows how much whoring out Jaffe is willing to do to get people to play his stupid shit.
Wow! So it shows that the developer is a bad person. And of course this directly affects the gameplay of the game! :D

Tell me, have you actually played this game from beginning to end, or have you simply avoided this game just because of a single "tasteless" scene?

sabishii said:
If this particular movie had been 10 hours long and this particular scene been 1 minute long, then, no, why the fuck would I care?
Why the fuck would you watch a 10 hour movie?

And of course this directly affects the gameplay of the game! :D
I'm not just talking about gameplay though. I'm talking about the atmosphere itself, you can have the best gameplay in the world, but if you have a game involving skullfucking for example, it'll probably fuck with the atmosphere. Including just random sex horsehit is just stupid and can make something seem lesser.

Tell me, have you actually played this game from beginning to end, or have you simply avoided this game just because of a single "tasteless" scene?
Played it, I don't care if games have sex in it or not, but when the context is for pure controversy then it's just idiotic.

sabishii

Arbiter
Why the fuck would you watch a 10 hour movie?
Why the fuck would you compare a scene in a 2 hour movie to a 1 minute distraction in a 10 hour game?

I'm not just talking about gameplay though. I'm talking about the atmosphere itself, you can have the best gameplay in the world, but if you have a game involving skullfucking for example, it'll probably fuck with the atmosphere. Including just random sex horsehit is just stupid and can make something seem lesser.
I still don't get how this little part of a game can be blown out of proportion like this. Five minutes afterwards I was too busy killing things with my chain-blades to care - or even remember - about the sex scene. Whatever; this argument is going nowhere.

sabishii said:
Why the fuck would you compare a scene in a 2 hour movie to a 1 minute distraction in a 10 hour game?
Sarcasm.

I still don't get how this little part of a game can be blown out of proportion like this.
Well I did also mention the over-the-top violence, at the start.

Whatever; this argument is going nowhere.
Indeed.

Ladonna

Arcane
Apart from the humourous comments it has gotten from some of the codexers here, it is a pathetic idea, to me anyway.....

I would much rather the time spent on this garbage been used in better directions. I won't write off the game over this fluff, as its probably (Better be) optional. It seems incredibly immature though.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Somehow I'm sure the "choices and delayed consequences" bit will be more than enough to make up for any silly male chauvinistic childishnessitude.

taxacaria

Scholar
When sex is used as an instrument of marketing, it's time to look very closely at the quality of the other content the game has.

taxacaria

Scholar
Elwro said:
So, watch the latest videos and tell us what disturbs you!
Nothing at this time. Some marketing vids, which are available for everyone, aren't a sufficient base to make a final decision.
I'm suspicious, that's all.
Feel free to ask me again when I've played the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom