Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
As always, most of those "how things work" revelations regarding Wiz8 are bs if only because, as you have mentioned, levels play a huge role. And crit builds in Wiz8 are super unreliable and always vastly outperformed by raw damage. That's why if you want it, you should go for both. Like staff monk, for example.

grimer

Learned
wish there was a mod for 8 that allowed you to dual wield frontier phasers like in 7 since ranged weapons can actually get additional "swings" now and would've made for a sick ranger build

Jack Slash

Literate
I do not understand 2 things in this video,
1. How does he avoid the combat, slipping through the monsters?
https://youtu.be/TjmVjSX1gcA?si=AzIdaGOswoshb-K-&t=1010
2. Why is he repeatedly pressing combat start - end, start - end?
https://youtu.be/TjmVjSX1gcA?si=xXbDdl7S4gDPgzvg&t=2235
There is a decent explanation and more examples in this GOG thread with tips on Iron Man runs.

To quote a couple of examples:
Fang and the boomerang shuriken can be looted from the temple without ever fighting anything by combat running from the entrance to behind a post, behind a post to both stairs to the loot, then from behind the stairs on the left to around the corner to the mummies.
On that note you should abuse combat run. It allows you get a visual on mobs without triggering actual combat, and it also allows you to put up an element shield, soul shield, and haste before the mobs can act.
So you just avoid the combat entirely by triggering it before the mobs act, then ending it outside of the enemy field of view (around the corner, behind a post, etc.).

grimer

Learned
finally completed my playthrough of 6-8. was disappointed bela didn't recognize my party until i gave him the ring even though we travelled the galaxy together after 6. ascension peak and rapax castle were such a slog that i had to force myself to get through them even though i really like the combat in this game. i understand that they increased the encounter rate drastically to make these areas seem dangerous and discourage rest spamming (which i never did btw - completed the game on day 20) but players can just use the portal spells to rest somewhere safe anyway. imo they should've just placed more difficult encounters that don't respawn (e.g. a few more fights against armies of rapax/savant robots that don't respawn or bosses like the gorrors in 7/hall of the dead guardians in 6). rapax castle felt like a nice homage to the castle in 6 though with its cult theme and symbols of horned creatures (goats/rapax) as well as all the keys and secret passages.

the ending felt contrived to me as with a few other events in the game (e.g. how the astral dominae is obtained). i was expecting the dark savant to be werdna instead lol. would've been cool to tie up the series like that. also how the fuck did dracula and xorphitus manage to steal the cosmic forge in 6 without the 3 artifacts? i know they hadn't come up with those yet but they probably could've retconned it by saying phoonzang attempted to take it with him or something. otherwise, it implies that those two know of another way to gain access to the cosmic circle but somehow phoonzang, who possesses all knowledge of the universe, doesn't. according to the manual in wizardry 6, they learned of its existence from a demon that they killed in another realm. was that one of bela's parents? iirc both him and rebecca are half-demons but rebecca is the daughter of the queen (demon) and the vicar. but then someone in wizardry 8 (marten i think) says that bela is the descendant of a cosmic lord so was that the "demon" they killed?

i think speed might be overrated for spellcasters. i prioritized increasing it to 100 asap along with intelligence for my bishop to unlock snake speed early and start training it but there were still plenty of enemies faster than her. granted she was on blue encumbrance for most of the game which incurred a slight penalty to initiative but its hard to avoid with her low strength and all the items you pick up (especially ammunition for ranger/gadgeteer etc.). by the end of the game, she was unencumbered, had the snakeskin boots equipped (+10 speed, +20 snake speed) and even increased her senses to like 70-80 for even more initiative bonuses and some enemies on ascension peak were still faster. this was on normal difficulty btw and i assume enemies are even faster on expert. i ended up just relying on chameleon and initiating combat around a corner to cast element/soul shield before moving into their line of sight which was useful for training earth magic on my ranger too and managed to increase it to 95 at the end.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
If I have a dagger +4 initiative, is it faster equipping that when I cast a spell? Or the initiative of the equipped weapon does not count at spellcasting?

I have a 6 psionics party. Can I recruit Myles and Vi? Or that is cheating?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom