Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Dragon Sword.
Honestly, I do not like mapping at all. And in the Shit Hole i had frequent program hanging up during battle. Anyway I liked this game more than Wizardry 5.

grimer

Learned
what is the best way to play a ranger in wizardry 7? do they get any cool weapons (melee or ranged)? is it easy to find stronger ammunition? i just finished replaying wizardry 6 with one in my party and i basically played him as an alchemist (his initial class) but with more hp and can hide in combat. ranged weapons were useless as they only get 1 additional attack (no swings) i think and the only merchant who sells stronger ammunition is mai-lai in river styx who disappears later in the game. are these issues still present in wizardry 7? i've read that they introduced ranged criticals in that game but if ranged weapons only get 2 attacks max then theyre still not worth using. ofc rangers are finally good in wizardry 8 as they can now increase their critical chance and get the tripleshot crossbow :incline:

Elven rangers can make use of the Elven Bow:

Damage: (Arrow) ( 1-Hand)

Value: 35000 Gold

Range: Long

Weight: 4.5 lb

Initiative: +4

To Hit: +6

Regen: +1

Identified with:
Artifacts Skill: 75
Identify Spell Power: 5

Effects:
Death (5%)

Enchantment:
Power: Speed +1 )Max 20)
Charges: 2

Professions:Fighter
Lord
Monk
Ninja
Ranger
Samurai
Valkyrie

Races:Elf

Dorateen

Arcane
I had a frontline Ranger who registered a large number of the party's monster kills. Took a dip in Ninja to get some relevant skills before switching back. Lots of critical kills, could hide in shadows. There is a powerful rapier near the end of the game that was good for duel wielding.

grimer

Learned
Elven rangers can make use of the Elven Bow
my ranger is a gnome. also im not sure how good bows are in wizardry 7. even that bow could end up just being 1-2 really accurate but weak shots with 5% chance for an instant kill

There is a powerful rapier near the end of the game that was good for duel wielding
was it estoc of olivia? bc i just got that while farming for excaliber in wizardry 6 and could import it to 7. kinda funny how the tier 4 ranger exclusive weapon with a 2% drop rate is just equivalent to a tier 3 sword from mai-lai's shop (blade cuisinart)

gman42

Scholar
I feel like Ranger is one of those classes I kept trying to make "work" in 6/7 but they were always just OK at best.

Actually one of these days I should try a runthrough of both games with an intentionally completely underwhelming party. Something like Fighter, Ranger, Thief, Alchemist, Psionic, Bishop, with no class changes, lol. Would be a little miserable but interesting to see how the difficulty curve is.

Specifically not talking about 8 because I know that's a whole different animal, where the Fighter and Thief would actually both be insane killing machines, and the Ranger would have great ranged options and a metric shit-ton of ammo to buy.

Alchemist is pretty good, they don't use vocal components in their casting so Silence wouldn't work on them. Even like that, the party you posted packs somewhat of a punch. The only weak link here is the Psionic which doesn't have spells that are unavailable to other classes.

gman42

Scholar
Alchemist is pretty good, they don't use vocal components in their casting so Silence wouldn't work on them. Even like that, the party you posted packs somewhat of a punch. The only weak link here is the Psionic which doesn't have spells that are unavailable to other classes.

Yeah, and the fact that there's really no *terrible* party of six different classes speaks to the balance of the game. Of course you could make yourself miserable playing with like, six thieves or six mages or something silly.

grimer

Learned
I feel like Ranger is one of those classes I kept trying to make "work" in 6/7 but they were always just OK at best.
did you have him fight in melee or with ranged weapons? so far my ranger is doing ok as a front line melee fighter. might even be better than my lord because he uses a rapier with thrust as the default attack, increasing his chance of penetrating armor as opposed to the lord who uses maces with bash attacks.

the ranger sounds like a good class on paper. as a melee fighter, it is almost identical to the lord (same miss chance reduction, same hp gained per level, same exp requirements) but held back by its poor equipment selection especially in wizardry 6.

Something like Fighter, Ranger, Thief, Alchemist, Psionic, Bishop, with no class changes, lol
thats half of my current party lol (fighter, lord, ranger, monk, bard, bishop as final classes) and this time im playing with a maximum of 2 class changes per character, except for the fighter who stayed single classed since i started wizardry 6 for roleplaying (larp) reasons. initially the limit was 1 class change per character but since i imported my party from wizardry 6, most of them were elite classes and wouldnt gain enough skill points in academia to max out spell schools/kirijutsu. i think the party will receive a huge power spike upon importing to wizardry 8 though especially the fighter, ranger and bishop.

Alchemist is pretty good, they don't use vocal components in their casting so Silence wouldn't work on them.
yea the alchemist learns some really good spells like blinding flash and toxic vapors but my main issue with them is that in wizardry 6 all of their damaging spells deal dot except for fire bomb which has a low sp pool since they only learn 2 fire spells. wizardry 7 gives them crush and whipping rocks then wizardry 8 gives them even stronger spells like boiling blood, earthquake and tsunami making them the offensive spellcaster of choice.

gman42

Scholar
Yeah but in this case we're talking about intentionally making things hard, if you do any multiclassing it makes the whole discussion moot.

Running an all-thief party would probably make me, for the first time ever in these games, actually pay attention to scrolls and one-time magic items and the Artifacts skill instead of just totally disregarding them and selling anything I come across, lol.

Yeah but in this case we're talking about intentionally making things hard, if you do any multiclassing it makes the whole discussion moot.

Running an all-thief party would probably make me, for the first time ever in these games, actually pay attention to scrolls and one-time magic items and the Artifacts skill instead of just totally disregarding them and selling anything I come across, lol.
you have your next playthrough idea. go for it!

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The thing that gets me about those long ass retrospectives or analysis videos is that they're almost invariably by some numbnuts that doesn't know what he's talking about. So instead of indulging in some long winded nostalgia, you just end up annoyed and wanting to slap him silly.

Covenant

Savant
The thing that gets me about those long ass retrospectives or analysis videos is that they're almost invariably by some numbnuts that doesn't know what he's talking about. So instead of indulging in some long winded nostalgia, you just end up annoyed and wanting to slap him silly.
I know what you mean. It's a minor thing, but I watched this guy's Wizardry VII video after enjoying the Bane one linked above, and he seemed to invent some alternative way to leave the (non-imported) starting area that just doesn't exist. Unless I've been missing something all these years, short of some kind of scumming to get through the sleepy pollen field or to cross over a whole bunch of water tiles, the only way you're leaving that area (and not entering the starter dungeon) is via the entrance to New City.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
YouTubers are usually in constant Cheat Mode.
Once in a thousand times you'll see a YouTuber doing something clever instead of brute forcing or cheating.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm about to start playing the Bane trilogy for the first time, planning on using the same party all the way. Any recommendations? Should I play Wizardry 6 as it is or using the dfortae mod? Party recommendations are welcome too. As right now I'm planning on playing with a Psionic, Lord, Ninja, Samurai, Mage and Bishop.

I'm about to start playing the Bane trilogy for the first time, planning on using the same party all the way. Any recommendations? Should I play Wizardry 6 as it is or using the dfortae mod? Party recommendations are welcome too. As right now I'm planning on playing with a Psionic, Lord, Ninja, Samurai, Mage and Bishop.
Ditch the Lord, and replace it with a Valkyrie. Psionics don't get any unique spells, so you should consider making it a monk. Is the ninja a faerie? Bishops can be pretty meh, i'd replace it with an alchemist (later ninja or ranger)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom