Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You wrote that just as I was transfering characters from BT2 to BT3. Or rather transfering by using a save game editor. And I noticed that lvl 61 characters have stats capped at 18, while they can go to 30, and I was wondering if that could lead to butthurt.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
This on the newer BTT for PC? I should have said the old DOS version.

On c64 we had a guy who was hit with such a witherstrike or curse his stats stayed at 1 for the rest of BT1 and 2. I think it was during the Mangar fight. I don’t recall if it fixed in BT3 by leveling.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Old version.
Apparently there's no editor for BT2, but I transferred some lvl 23 characters to BT3 and their stats stayed at 18. I think the Old status could only be fixed at the Temple.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, on the c64 something must’ve screwed up bad because the temple couldn’t fix it. Not in 1-3. It just became permanent. And in 1-2 even leveling didn’t add stats. I could never reproduce the glitch.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
aca3dd13752b080a.png

https://archive.org/details/WizardReplay

Wizard Replay is a frontend for exploring and playing classic RPG games on an 8-bit Apple ][. Some notable features:

• 8 different scenarios, including Proving Grounds 3.0.
  • Menu-driven UI for launching all games
  • All games run directly from ProDOS (no swapping floppies!)
  • Integrated WizPlus for character editing
  • Integrated scenario backup and restore

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Thanks, that worked. Guess I'll be playing some more Wizardry later this year.
Also works in AppleWin, you have to click on options (its the button with the joystick on it) then click on disk, then under HDD 1 chose Select Hard Disk image and then chose the HDV image, then click the run button, voila

I picked up mm6 again to see where I was at and yo compared to wiz7.

I enjoyed mm6 to an extent however found the turn base mode and constant kitting tiring after a few hours this weekend.

I loaded up my older save for wiz7 to figure what I was doing on Sunday. I ended putting in about 8 hours straight just having a much better time.

Mapping is easier since it's grid, combat while encounter happens a lot, was better and faster once you had the controls down.

Wiz7 quests are difficult to figure out as even determine what is a quest is a guess, while mm6 has a quest log.

Anyways my current focus will be wiz7. It's a bigger, more focused game and it feels incredible to explore / figure out.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Wizardry 7 feels like an artifact from a different universe where they make video games differently. We should've had a dozen Wiz7 clones throughout the 90s; instead the closest we got was some Grimoire pre-alpha screenshots and Wizards and Warriors 8 years later. It seems to me that publishers and developers alike got caught up in the excitement of 3D and didn't stop to really appreciate what a work of genius Wizardry 7 is, from its world and open-ended structure to its story and oppressive atmosphere, to its exquisite character systems and combat. I could complain about some classes being worse than others, or the overabundance of combat, but 31 years on we still haven't seen a CRPG that surpasses Wizardry 7. I can go back to it again and again and it's just as captivating as ever. Even fantastic games like Wizardry 6 or Might and Magic 6 don't hold a candle to it.

negator2vc

Scholar
Since making a game like Wizardry 7 could have a quite high art requirements for what is practically "walls" (especially if thoses are highly detailed like in Wiz7) I was wondering what gamers think about using instead a visual perspective of Phantasie series for map movements and keep the first person view for special locations and combat screen only (using wiz7 combat mechanics).
Is this something that someone who love wiz7 will try or the change of perspective for movement from first person to topdown will kill any interest of such a game?

I am tempted to use as a test a fan remake of wiz7 using this style. Depending on time (and later possible help of other fans) this could be either the first couple of areas ("tutorial" dungeon & initial forest & first city) or could even be a fan remake of the whole game.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Is this something that someone who love wiz7 will try or the change of perspective for movement from first person to topdown will kill any interest of such a game?
personally no, first person is a must for blobbers for me as it puts you directly in the dungeon. what you're describing is how JRPGs do it.

negator2vc

Scholar
personally no, first person is a must for blobbers for me as it puts you directly in the dungeon. what you're describing is how JRPGs do it.
JRPG have way more changes that the view, for example have different combat mechanics (except those wizardy clones), are way more linear, etc...
In any case I completely understand your feeling about putting the player directly in the dungeon.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Since making a game like Wizardry 7 could have a quite high art requirements for what is practically "walls" (especially if thoses are highly detailed like in Wiz7) I was wondering what gamers think about using instead a visual perspective of Phantasie series for map movements and keep the first person view for special locations and combat screen only (using wiz7 combat mechanics).

I am tempted to use as a test a fan remake of wiz7 using this style. Depending on time (and later possible help of other fans) this could be either the first couple of areas ("tutorial" dungeon & initial forest & first city) or could even be a fan remake of the whole game.
It's not a deal breaker for me, although I'd prefer a consistent first-person perspective. Lords of Xulima and Wasteland both use a top-down perspective outside of combat and then switch to a first-person perspective in combat, and it works. I'm not sure you couldn't get AI to generate wall textures though.

negator2vc

Scholar
It's not a deal breaker for me, although I'd prefer a consistent first-person perspective. Lords of Xulima and Wasteland both use a top-down perspective outside of combat and then switch to a first-person perspective in combat, and it works. I'm not sure you couldn't get AI to generate wall textures though.
With the visual quality of Wizardry 7 walls? I haven't seen yet AI art that come even close to the art style & "feeling" used in old good looking FP rpg. In fact the only art lately that come even close to the quality of those old FP rpgs' art is the art of the Mystic Land game that's under development. But even that game will need to heavily reuse wall art if they want to release it in a reasonable timeframe.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Not a big fan of that approach, there are games that do it but I don't know any that are great. That said, early Ultima was the reverse, with top-down view most of the time and blobber view in dungeon, but then Ultima isn't exactly known for great dungeons (though they are adequate).

negator2vc

Scholar
Not a big fan of that approach, there are games that do it but I don't know any that are great. That said, early Ultima was the reverse, with top-down view most of the time and blobber view in dungeon, but then Ultima isn't exactly known for great dungeons (though they are adequate).
Can you post any modern examples that use similar mechanics to the one used in Wizardry 7 (or any wizardry game for that matter)?
Any topdown I could remember use a JRPG combat style with separate character rounds or some other (sometime weird) combat system.
In fact with the only topdown games that use similar combat mechanics to wizardry 7 (or wizardry games in general) are old games like phantasie series & wasteland.
I think even the Lords of Xulima (that was posted before as example) use character rounds for combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom