Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You FOOL. You had ONE JOB.

You've just blocked yourself from a quest that is completed all the way in Wizardry 8. Restart Wiz6 or persist in the doomed world you've created.

You're supposed to get a diamond ring from Rebecca at the end of Wiz6 and transfer it all the way to 8 through 7.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
You're supposed to get a diamond ring from Rebecca at the end of Wiz6 and transfer it all the way to 8 through 7.
BUT THE GAME MADE ME KILL HER

*Googles it*

I WAS SUPPOSED TO THROW THE CROSS ON THE GROUND WHEN GOING TO CONFRONT LORD BANE??????????? WHO THE FUCK WOULD EVER DO THAT??????????? Sir-Tech was trying to scam us all into buying game guides. This is terrible. What the fuck. Time to throw 25 more hours into the void

gman42

Scholar

*Googles it*

I WAS SUPPOSED TO THROW THE CROSS ON THE GROUND WHEN GOING TO CONFRONT LORD BANE??????????? WHO THE FUCK WOULD EVER DO THAT??????????? Sir-Tech was trying to scam us all into buying game guides. This is terrible. What the fuck. Time to throw 25 more hours into the void
Heh. It's definitely a stretch to figure this out on your own, I certainly didn't back in the day. If you're the experimental type, maybe you'd somehow notice that the cross is literally the only "important" item that the game lets you drop, and that would set off your spidey senses and at least tell you to keep an extra save point to go back to. That and the general idea that you're supposed to think the Queen is FOS after her speech.

The more "fair" option would be to make the cross un-droppable but have the game stop and actually ask you if you want to whip it out during the first Bane King encounter, but then that flips it to making it insanely obvious that there's a longer-term consequence to your choice. So yeah, probably better to make it obscure.

Covenant

Savant

*Googles it*

Heh. It's definitely a stretch to figure this out on your own, I certainly didn't back in the day.

It's one thing to figure out about dropping the cross (and I agree, it's very much a stretch), but what about saying the magic words to actually get the ring? There's no hint to that anywhere in the game, as far as I'm aware; it's a top-tier example of 'should have bought the strategy guide bro!' tier bullshit.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I finished W6 twice and never got the fabled ring either, probably because I did not rely on strategy guides and played blind.

Arbiter

Scholar
naturally i got it on the first try without consulting any guides and relying only on my superior intellection

You declared love to a demon on your first play through?

N8FmVUX.jpg

gman42

Scholar
It's one thing to figure out about dropping the cross (and I agree, it's very much a stretch), but what about saying the magic words to actually get the ring? There's no hint to that anywhere in the game, as far as I'm aware; it's a top-tier example of 'should have bought the strategy guide bro!' tier bullshit.

Yeah it's one thing to just get the cool "peaceful" ending and the chance to fly with Bela, getting the ring is another story.

IIRC it's just the keyword "love" they're looking for there, right? Not that it matters, you're still not including that in an answer to a yes/no question unless you decided to be silly and respond "yes my love" or some shit.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
naturally i got it on the first try without consulting any guides and relying only on my superior intellection
It’s funny my memory for years of playing original Wiz 7 was getting stuck in Dane Tower and giving up. Didn’t remember playing Wiz 8 at all.

Played Wiz 8 a couple years ago starting in Monastery like I was playing blind then started getting massive Deja Vu around Robot area.

Figured out that I’d later bought hint book, finished Wiz 7, and imported party at Robot and had completely forgotten all of it.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Could you learn it with the mindread spell from a psionic?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

*Googles it*

Heh. It's definitely a stretch to figure this out on your own, I certainly didn't back in the day.

Brother before there were strategy guides there were hint lines for like 50 cents per minute or something outrageous. No interweb yet either.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

*Googles it*

Brother before there were strategy guides there were hint lines for like 50 cents per minute or something outrageous. No interweb yet either.
Magazines would often have a hint/clue section and sometimes previews in mags would as well. I think Quest For Clues became a big hit for a bit but I couldn’t guess the first guides besides Word of mouth from fellow gamers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom