Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The worst part about KotOR 2 was the title

...oh and the cut content and stuff...

Did LA originally want TSL a direct sequel to begin with but then change their mind on a whim or something? Did I dream that bit up? Do Obsidian deserve sympathy for all the hate from the KotOR fans?

M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
Do Obsidian deserve sympathy for all the hate from the KotOR fans?

Yeah...because it's leagues better than the piece of shit that was KOTOR 1.

Though to be fair, that's about a much an accomplishment as being more chaste than Paris Hilton.

Course Obsidian cranked up the suck to 11 with NWN2 and the OC so....

Worm King

Scholar
Probably the worst parts were the dungeons were you had to play as your companions. What were they thinking?! It's a ROLE playing game, dammit.

KotOR 2 implies continuity where not even the overall atmosphere of smiling faces for the end photo, rainbows and sunshine that normally comes with starwars was there. Only link to the original were some dialogs. So it was Obsidian who wanted it the way it is and not Lucas Arts? And based on what I've read in the Bioware forums, at least half the forum seems to think TSL had potential to be better, if it was uncut.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Look, it does not matter!

The game sold 2 million copies.

Obsidian and Lucas Arts made good money out of it. What do you mean "sympathy for the hate"? I am sure they slept tightly under the big revenues generated by the game.

And how does continuity matter when either way, the final product was good enough for both LucasArts and Obsidian to make alot of money?

Official mainstream sites all gave positive 85+ reviews to the game. Search Metacritic. The game did not even receive a negative review, so it's not like Obsidian or LucasArts would worry about a tarnished reputation.

Starwars

Arcane
The worst part about KOTOR2 is the same as in KOTOR1, the *unbeliavably* shitty combat. One of the worst EVAR.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
You're not exaggerating.

KotOR is one of the worst examples of pausable real time combat.

A game where you have to manually give orders to every party member each time they decide to use their AI to do something stupid, instead of earlier assigned them to do, is the height of bad combat.

Not to mention the AI's tendency to override your decision after the next round once you let go off that party member. It's like the computer is saying, "Let go off me, I'll do things my own stupid way whether you like it or not."

Of course, luckily the game is easy enough that AI stupidity and lack of control becomes a minor inconvenience. A minor inconvenience that you have to bear throughout the whole game, making everything more a chore than fun.

Fuck both KotORs. Touching them makes me want to immediately run to a more fun and solid turn-based combat RPG, so I can cleanse myself off that Bioware PRT filth. But atleast unlike NWN, you can control your party members, even though the game has done its damned best to make it as clunky as possible.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
KotOR 2 implies continuity where not even the overall atmosphere of smiling faces for the end photo, rainbows and sunshine that normally comes with starwars was there. Only link to the original were some dialogs. So it was Obsidian who wanted it the way it is and not Lucas Arts? And based on what I've read in the Bioware forums, at least half the forum seems to think TSL had potential to be better, if it was uncut.

Kotor 2 happens in the same universe as Kotor 1 and five years later. Events in Kotor 1 had a bearing on Kotor 2. Thus, it was a sequel. It doesn't matter if it had a different "tone," or whatever.

dolio

Scholar
Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide implies continuity with Neverwinter Nights?

Final Fantasy 7 implies continuity with Final Fantasy 6?

Icewind Dale 2 implies continuity with Icewind Dale?

Et cetera.

Ardanis

Novice
Starwars said:
The worst part about KOTOR2 is the same as in KOTOR1, the *unbeliavably* shitty combat. One of the worst EVAR.
Shitty it may be, but who'd care when there are NO places in game to make a good use of full party control? Both games are way too easy to bother with companions not doing what they have to.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I applaud Obsidian for trying something different with their first product. Of course, they did fuck up NWN2 pretty badly, but at least MOTB was really good.

Relayer71

Liturgist
The worst part aside from the cut content was the laughable combat difficulty level which is the problem that has plagued all of the Bioware & Obsidian games I've played since BG 2.

Aside from that, KOTOR 2 was a very good game. It had great dialogue, interesting characters and some decent quests. It was improved over KOTOR in these areas.

That being said, KOTOR was fun the 1st play through only because I am a Star Wars fan and a SW based RPG hadn't been done before. But KOTOR 2 stands well on its own.

Oh, another thing that plagued both titles was the smallness of the worlds. You go planet hopping but only see a very tiny portion of a city/area of each planet which is lame.

They should have made it all take place on 1 planet and give use a huge city to explore in that planet. The fact that the same planet hopping sequence occured in KOTOR 2 gave me a bad sense of deja vous.

Thrasher

Erudite
RPGs should not be all about combat. What's the thing that keeps most people from finishing an RPG? Tedious, repetitve, boring combat.

Thankfully KoTOR 2 only had that at the very end.

Worm King

Scholar
Thrasher said:
RPGs should not be all about combat. What's the thing that keeps most people from finishing an RPG? Tedious, repetitve, boring combat.

Thankfully KoTOR 2 only had that at the very end.

Except you forget the whole escape from Telos. The worst dungeon I have had the displeasure of crawling in. I'm trying to think of a worse dungeon but I'm unable to.

I have had this idea for mods. They would basically cut out all of the unnecessary fat and just give players the rewards and experience they would get by crawling. Dungeons are often the main reason why I don't replay some RPGs.

Thrasher

Erudite
Hmm don't remember that being so bad, but it was early in the game b4 I had gotten bored?

visions

Arcane
Relayer71 said:
Oh, another thing that plagued both titles was the smallness of the worlds. You go planet hopping but only see a very tiny portion of a city/area of each planet which is lame.

They should have made it all take place on 1 planet and give use a huge city to explore in that planet. The fact that the same planet hopping sequence occured in KOTOR 2 gave me a bad sense of deja vous.

Completely agree with you here, I also thought that it would have been better if the KOTOR games had been centered on a single planet you could have explored more thoroughly, instead of rushing through several different planets. Then again, I think it would probably have alienated the SW fanboys, who would have wanted to see space travel etc., cause this is what "Star Wars is about".

Oh, and deja vous means something along the lines of "already you" (plural), it should be deja vu (already seen) :D

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
dolio said:
Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide implies continuity with Neverwinter Nights?

Final Fantasy 7 implies continuity with Final Fantasy 6?

Icewind Dale 2 implies continuity with Icewind Dale?

Et cetera.

Well okay, a sequel doesn't necessarily imply continuity, but continuity does necessitate it being a sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom