Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Renault

Novice
Maybe try it without any mods installed? (like remove HD Mod and better sounds, not Tfix)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Another new Thief Gold FM dropped over the weekend.

"The Condemned Catalogue" (by Froghemoth) has Garrett seek out an otherworldly library to retrieve an unholy book for someone. (Maybe he just wants to order from Argos.)

For the author's first release this is scoring big on originality and atmosphere. The architecture is tight, which is good for setting the mood, but not so good for gameplay-reasons, so save regularly. It's not a challenging mission and is quite open-ended, once you find the otherworldly library. The readables are interesting, and one part of the FM that the author admits that he out-sourced.

Save for a few small surprises this mission only has Hand-Mages as enemies, which is a welcome change. Another odd but fresh decision is seeing buildings seemingly made out of bookshelves... and on that note I give the only clue regarding the gameplay: If you accept the optional objective of stealing those Zot-scrolls, know that they're all on the outside of the buildings. Needles in haystacks, and all that.

Rating: 7.5/10. A short and sweet example that the old girl is far from going stale. Recommended.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Giving "Towers of Twilight" a look. This seems to be a mixed pot of many gameplay-elements, but a common element is excessive platforming. Nothing overly nasty, but some careful planning is required to get around.

Also, remember "Equilibrium", and those hard-to-spot Keepers? They're back.

A small 'first steps'-guide to this FM to boost your enjoyment:

# 1: The first building you come across is a temple-like structure on your left. Start there. You can also take the other path to get to #3, but it's the long way round.
# 2: You want to go straight through the temple, but you need to find Kronk and his lever first, who are in the temple. If you want a sword, you can get one here as well.
# 3: Past the temple is an open cavern with three paths, a seemingly impassable path to the left, and two other paths ahead and to the right. You want to take the left path. Find a way.
# 4: At the end of the left path you'll reach a structure. It's a bit rough to get inside, but once you're there, give it a good lookin' over. Especially the hard-to-reach places.
# 5: If you're good at taffin' you'll find a secret room with a chest and some instructions. Read the instructions, then open the chest. This is your new Toy. We're gonna have Fun with this.
# 6: Unfortunately you can only drop the Toy, you cannot throw it. You'll need it to get some hard-to-reach loot, but otherwise it's just a Toy, but a useful one.
# 7: Enjoy!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just finished Hidden Agenda, a classic mechanist (plus some undead) heist mission. Quite big; felt almost too big at one point, but then the mission wrapped up very well.

Used almost five hours; too much time wasted because I thought I had checked all the keys on all the doors, but I hadn't tried the first metal cog I found on the door down to the Hammerite Temple.
Found 3 of 4 secrets. Missed about 500 loot and never found the sewers. Apparently you need a Rope Arrow to access the 4th secret, but I never found a single RA and couldn't buy one at start.

Reading the TTLG thread, I was amused to see that it was the missions who made our resident Mastur Taffur Unkillable Cat register at the TTLG forums and ask auntie Nightwalker for advice.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Reading the TTLG thread, I was amused to see that it was the missions who made our resident Mastur Taffur Unkillable Cat register at the TTLG forums and ask auntie Nightwalker for advice.

Out of curiosity I went and looked up my first steps on TTLG.

You are almost right.

My first two posts concerned the FM "Evirath's Misery". (A FM I freely admit I can't remember anything about anymore.)

My third post was about "Hidden Agenda".

Maybe it's time I revisited Evirath?

As for "Towers of Twilight" - I haven't given it a rating yet because despite my best taffing efforts, I came up ~3000 short of the total loot - and I'm at a total loss as to why. (Surely there can't be that many loose coins dropped in strange places?!) Then the FM got updated (twice) and I thought it best to wait until all the bugs have been squashed and a walkthrough is available before doing it all again from scratch. But currently it's hovering around the 7.5/8-area in ratings.

toughasnails

So I just watched Cronenberg's last year "Crimes of the Future" and... Viggo Mortensen's character sports this strange dark outfit and at several points is depicted as crouching and, at one point, leaning in a dark corner. Together with his voice, and with how shadowy and decrepit the scenery was, I couldn't help but think holly shit it's like I'm seeing geriatric version of Garrett.

ikq3CUC.jpg

Anyway, you can go back to regularly scheduled programing now.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
After many years of delays, I have finally finished the 20th anniversary mission "Whistling Of The Gears."
A map that is just as claustrophobic as it is vertical, this a sabotage mission set in the city. Objectives being to infiltrate a factory and destroy the owners new invention. The level is competently designed with plenty of guards and metal flooring to keep the player on their toes but after four hours I just wanted it to be over, so I started blackjacking every guard I saw. What took me so long was trying to find the inventors blueprints. I initially made a beeline for the factory and read a hint for the blueprints but forgot about that until, out of frustration, I looked up their location. Needless to say I felt like quite the moron. Outside of this I would say the level is enjoyable enough for me to rate highly but it will be a long time before I ever replay it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Taffers and gentlemen - Thief fan missions have evolved to a new level.

A game has been made - based on a Thief FM.

Sure, it's just a en entry in a GameJam on Itch.io, and it's very bare-bones, but it's a game...right?

Anyway, it's called "Noble Blood" in which a Garrett-esque character moves about in a side-view environment, collecting clues so he can ID a serial killer that's running loose. The gameplay is very similar to the 'murder mystery'-part in the old Frankie Goes to Hollywood-game, if you can remember that one.

And whose FM was nicked for this endeavour? Well, nicked and his "The Violent End of Duncan Melveine".

You can either play it in-browser on the itch-io site, or download the Game Boy Color-file and try it in an emulator.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
But there's more!

Someone has been very busy making his own sculpture of Garrett - and the end result is jawdropping, to say the least!

thief01.jpg

This isn't just a static-pose diorama with some lights - Garrett is fully posable and there's tons of accessories.

Only took three years to make.

You can view the rest of the images over at the TTLG-forums.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Feast of Pilgrims :5/5: Thief 2
Inspired by the OM Life of the Party, this mission sets the player out to retrieve a legendary Hammerite artifact. Or in my case two since I played on expert difficulty. Unlike its source material this mission mostly takes place in a myriad of small buildings instead of a single large building, but the Hammerite cathedral is the largest one. Getting the chalice was surprisingly easy with the only real difficulty coming from my self imposed semi-ghost rules. Minimal knockouts, disabled lights, and moss arrows. This ruleset lead to quite a bit of tension as I had to speedily tip toe my way through the large marble floored library else I get caught by one of the many Hammerite patrols. If the required objective is so easy then why do you rank this mission so highly? Side objectives, this mission lets you buy three side objectives and discover a fourth. These require you to deeply explore all corners of this diverse map while avoiding the many dangers lurking within. Mansions, factories, cemeteries, wizard towers, and more can be found here with each being excellently designed. Unsurprisingly Feast of Pilgrims can take awhile to complete with my playthrough being nearly five hours.

Where The Unknown Lurks :3/5: Thief 2
A simple breaking and entering level, Where The Unknown Lurks has quite a bit to it provided you know where to look. On expert, Garret is tasked with retrieving a valuable horn and globe that are both easy to accidentally stumble upon. What is less easy to stumble upon is the massive optional area which is easily three times the size of the main mission area. This is hidden behind a simple puzzle that requires basic reading comprehension skills. The only trouble I had was finding the entrance to this optional area since it is hidden in an incredibly peculiar spot:
This next side area is clearly inspired by the Thief 1 OM Down In The Bonehoard, but with Mechanists. This side area is much bigger than the main playable area and has quite the interesting item to be discovered within. If anything this should have been the main objective, gaining access to the ancestral tomb, with the goals of stealing the horn and globe appearing on higher difficulties. Outside of this baffling design choice all I can say is that Where The Unkown Lurks is a good mission from a noobie mapper but has a few rough spots to work out.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Completed Just For Show (2002).

Nice looking FM that was short (under an hour) and easy.

Had some annoying ambient music, but for this FM it was easy to just delete the offending .wav files.
In Thief lingo "ambient volume" sound is music, and "volume" sound is in theory everything else. So I always play with "ambient volume" turned all the way down. But some FM makers insist on double layers of background (an)noise. Like a thief would sneak around with taffing headphones on his ears.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Trying out The Black Parade.

In the first mission I look upwards, constantly scanning for vertical action. Plenty seems available... but no way to reach it.

Also, a horse just walked past me. A horse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom