Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Thimbleweed Park: A New Ron Gilbert Classic Point & Click Adventure

FeelTheRads

Arcane
:hmmm:

This time it's REALLY old-school!

Well, OK, at least it's not developed by DoubleScam, right?

Also, am I reading it right that the box is really just a box and manual and no disc?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
There's so much in the kickstarter page about "true spiritual successor" and "true lovers of adventure games" that I can't but read it as a bitchslap at Tim Schafer.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
iwtob_adv.jpg
Please...
j0G9yl4.jpg

fixed

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyways, the art for this game doesn't look that good, but I'm in for a Ron Gilbert adventure any day. Lay it on me.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There's 1eyedking, and then there's just bad art design.

I am, however, fapping cautiously.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ron: We’re not looking to double or triple the amount of money: if we get one dollar more than we want, we can still make an amazing game, and that’s how we structured this whole thing.
Gary: And we’re very clear on the scope of what we’re building. A lot of people, I think, when they get into making games on Kickstarter, have a general idea of what they want to build, and they’re not really sure of the scope of what they're getting themselves into. This year, we have a very clearly defined scope and we’re going to stick with that.

Hopefully this mentality will keep them from pulling a Broken Age-hipsterized disappointment. This whole KS seems to be the "Anti-Broken Age Adventure Game" to which I say... :thumbsup:

edit: Also, Ron Gilbert has lost a lot of weight since he left Double Fine! Is there some hidden meaning there... :hmmm:?

Last edited:

LizardKing

Scholar
I've read some older interviews of Gilbert and he states many times that he prefers small teams and smaller scale projects.
At least he seems to remember what an old-school adventure game is, unlike Schafer.

$375,000 is a bit too much + June 2016..
I have my doubts and Im not going to back this one.
If it turns out to be good, it's a D1P.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Considering that Tim Shaffer asked 400k for a linear adventure game with easy puzzles, I'd say 375k sounds great, if Gilbert actually provides multiple characters and multiple endings.

Also the art is the art of Maniac Mansion and Zak MckRacken and it's fucking great.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First update but it says very little:

Update #1 and a Big Thank You!
So, this is our first Thimbleweed Park update, I hope I don’t screw this up. Why is the “Delete Project” button right next to the “Post Update” button? Scary.

First of all, thanks so much for all the support and love for Maniac Mansion, point & click adventure games and Thimbleweed Park. It’s been an overwhelmingly awesome 24 hours. I guess this was the wrong time to start playing World of Warcraft again.

We promise not to flood your inbox with project updates unless they are meaningful and/or really fun.

But first, let’s answer a couple of questions from the old mailbox™.

The first question is about additional platforms beyond Windows, Mac and Linux. Yes, we want to do Android, iOS and others. As we get closer to our goal and have a better idea of how things are shaping up, we’ll look at adding some platform stretch goals. We want to stay focused right now, keep our eye on the ball, push for a first down, and other sports metaphors we don’t really understand.

Second question: Yes, if we meet our goal, we'll be looking at adding additional languages such as German, Spanish, French and Italian and others.

Third, if the game funds, we will be adding a PayPal button for those who can’t back through Amazon. We don’t want to add it now, because we don’t have an easy way to return PayPal contributions if the project doesn’t fund.

We’ll also be posting some new screenshots in the next few days.

In the mean time…

fc81208c42f79ddb41747882a9222b7b_large.gif

Does seem to suggest any stretch goals won't affect the game itself or their vision of it. I take that as a positive step "keep it simple stupid".

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I dunno, the art looks just like an updated version of Maniac Mansion to me.

I'm in. My only concern is that the game might end up being too short, what with multiple endings and all. We'll see I guess.

Kz3r0

Arcane
People saying that they are asking for too much have no fucking idea.

The sum is just basic for a real game tho.

On a side note this confirms the impression I got when seeing the Brokem Age pitch video, Ron looked quite out of place.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
I love how the graphics is a mix of EGA with more varied colors... and yet it's not like VGA art. I believe the verb system will be as efficient as it was in day of the tentacle/fate of atlantis/monkey 2, where some verbs highlighted with the most obvious action, and would make it work as a shortcut. It won't be like the first Lucasfilm games. Also, i believe the game won't have a death penalty nor dead-ends.

Eyeball

Arcane
Guys. What has Gilbert done in the past decade to warrant giving him your money?

I played Deathspank. It was funny, but it was not a particularly good game.

I did not play Cave, but it was universally dismissed as being hugely disappointing.

Many people peak early in their career and Gilbert has been living on his 90ies glory for years now. At least Schafer has given us Psychonauts and Brütal Legend, both of which are wonderful if flawed games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom