Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thinking of re-playing Bloodlines: Unofficial Patch opinions

Multi-headed Cow said:
Someone should fully explain the Tessera drama related to the Bloodlines patch to me. I'd like to know all the seedy details.

Seconded. Specially since the Kotor 2 / Gizka thread provided me with lulz for ~40 pages

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Wesp's patch is not a patch, you know. It's a mod. Cuz it doesn't just patch stuff - it modifies stuff. Also it adds things to the game that were never intended by the devs. Or so they say. Also I heard rumours that Wesp fucked Tesseras puppy.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I have played Malk 3 times so far, but now I discovered how awesome Gangrel are.
You just kick teh sirius ass. I killed the whole Hollowbrook Hotel just with Animalism 4/5.
Didn't even need a single bloodpack. Dis iz cool.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You can also try Pop's difficulty mod if you find VTMB very easy after a couple of playthroughs (I know I did). Be prepared for some epic boss battles with full use of all disciples and heavy blood pack consumption. And you finally get to use your money since you need to buy a lot more blood packs now.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I don't know, in the 6.3 patch moneyz were really scarce, it seems that the money you get from Venus was drastically reduced. Having to buy a lot of healing potions, i mean bloodpacks, sucks under those circumstances.

edit: buy, not bye

bhlaab

Erudite
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I don't know, in the 6.3 patch moneyz were really scarce, it seems that the money you get from Venus was drastically reduced. Having to bye a lot of healing potions, i mean bloodpacks, sucks under those circumstances.

It would be nice if they made it so you could sell ammo

bhlaab

Erudite
I played as a sexy fuckin toreador lady and don't you forget it

Multi-headed Cow

So there's no drama, and the only reason people say drama is because people say there's drama?

Deep, man~

Ferital

Novice
Voodoo Daddy said:
Unless the unofficial patch fixes just bugs - like Drog (Arcanum), Baldurdash (Baldur's Gate), TitanQuest.net (Extreme Paintbrawl), Thepal (Morrowind), TeamX (Fallout1), Killap (Fallout2), Qwinn (Planescape), and... *drumroll* Wesp (Bloodlines).

Unofficial patches that add crap in are recommended not to be used on your first playthrough. These include Quarn (Oblivion), Circle of 8 (Temple of Elemental Evil), and Gizka (HAHAHAHAHAHA... *ahem*). This is unfortunate because in most cases these are more buggy than the games listed above.

What 'crap' does Quarn's patch add to Oblivion? Though I don't play the game anymore, I always assumed that his Unofficial Patch didn't add anything.

Phelot

Arcane
Get the Companion mod, then recruit as many wimminz as you can. Go to console and type in "money 3" then run down the road backwards

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Every time when reinstalling Bloodlines i think about getting some of those un-o-fishul patchez, but never do in the end and play the 1.2 vanilla. Dunno, maybe all the faggotery around the develpement somehow puts me off subconsciously.

Multi-headed Cow

If I point out a bug in Wesp's, he'll just "fix" it in the next update in two weeks thus rendering all my time spent a waste. If I note a bug in True Patch, I'll either be called a liar or be branded with the proclamation that the bug is my fault.
This seems significant.

Thanks for the link. Seems pretty fucking silly that two people who obviously care for the game since they're still working on it are squabbling so much. You'd think there would be enough Bloodlines love for both. Even if Tessera is disgusting.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Yes if you read all this bickering - it's ridiculous. Although Wesp seems to be the reasonable guy, whereas the Tesstards are the fuckwads. Just an observation...

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
ghostdog said:
You can also try Pop's difficulty mod if you find VTMB very easy after a couple of playthroughs (I know I did). Be prepared for some epic boss battles with full use of all disciples and heavy blood pack consumption. And you finally get to use your money since you need to buy a lot more blood packs now.

I'm trying it, but it isn't just more difficult. It's insane. Every lowlife human thug is now double as tough as you are. I tried to kill some of them early on when you get the astrolite. No way you can kill those thugs in the hut. If 2 of them bash you at the same time it's game over. At the same time sneaking is almost impossible. The author said disciplines work more reliably (in the readme) - I only noticed that animalism(5) now doesn't even reliably kill humans. You're lucky if 1 out of a group of 4 dies.

Conclusion:
Way over the top.
Do not try to play a clan without obfuscate.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
VentilatorOfDoom said:
ghostdog said:

I'm trying it, but it isn't just more difficult. It's insane. Every lowlife human thug is now double as tough as you are. I tried to kill some of them early on when you get the astrolite. No way you can kill those thugs in the hut. If 2 of them bash you at the same time it's game over. At the same time sneaking is almost impossible. The author said disciplines work more reliably (in the readme) - I only noticed that animalism(5) now doesn't even reliably kill humans. You're lucky if 1 out of a group of 4 dies.

Conclusion:
Way over the top.
O course you'll have to change the course of your actions, as a mere fledgling you shouldn't be able to go on attack a band of thugs headlong. I didn't find the beach house that hard. You can use seduction/persuasion/domination to reach the leader and kill him easily, or use close the lights and do a sneak feed on him (since for some reason stealth kills can't be used in the beach house) you can also sneak feed on the door guard and then all you have is 3 thugs hat can easily be killed with disciplines, especially if you've done a couple of sidequests before going there.

The only really difficult battles are the boss battles. But I strongly suggest the basic patch since the absence of money in the plus patch make this very difficult without many blood packs. I think I battled Ming for 30 minutes and I used most of my blood packs and and ammo.

Also animalism isn't an instadeath discipline, it just takes hitpoints from the target. Now all gereric enemies have about 200HP I think. You know, you can go into \Vdata\system and change some of the boss stats, they're in the npctemplate####.txt files. I actually reduced the hitpoints of the bosses because they were insanely high, it's the "Max_Health" value.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
ghostdog said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
ghostdog said:

Conclusion:
Way over the top.
O course you'll have to change the course of your actions, as a mere fledgling you shouldn't be able to go on attack a band of thugs headlong. I didn't find the beach house that hard. You can use seduction/persuasion/domination to reach the leader and kill him easily, or use close the lights and do a sneak feed on him (since for some reason stealth kills can't be used in the beach house) you can also sneak feed on the door guard and then all you have is 3 thugs hat can easily be killed with disciplines, especially if you've done a couple of sidequests before going there.

The only really difficult battles are the boss battles. But I strongly suggest the basic patch since the absence of money in the plus patch make this very difficult without many blood packs. I think I battled Ming for 30 minutes and I used most of my blood packs and and ammo.

Also animalism isn't an instadeath discipline, it just takes hitpoints from the target. Now all gereric enemies have about 200HP I think. You know, you can go into \Vdata\system and change some of the boss stats, they're in the npctemplate####.txt files. I actually reduced the hitpoints of the bosses because they were insanely high, it's the "Max_Health" value.

If it were as you said - Ok.
But no - every bum! has 600HP (proof: I had to repeat the talk to tincan Bill 5 times until he died - he suffers always 100 Damage, but of course doesn't die from it the first 5 times) Others might have even more HP. Spectral wolf works on Vampires - but 60 Damage when you fight a 800HP generic Vampire is negligible. The cooldown timers for the disciplines are so high, you can only use a discipline once a fight anyway.
Fighting 4 thugs at the diner - at once, without a possibility to hide or to retreat? I had to increase animalism from 3 to 5 through the console to even have a chance - still needed reloads.
Flaming ghouls with 400HP in Grout Mansion - awesome! Stealth 4 + Dex4 does not suffice to sneak it seems.

It got a bit less of a pain lately - with a bit more XP - , but I don't dare to imagine Bishop Vick, the Sheriff or Ming or the Changs... or Bach. Or the Fish Demon.

Monocause

Arcane
Stealth kills are entirely possible in the beach house, unless the difficulty mod disables them.

And I'd recommend Wesp's plus patch even on the first playthrough. The stuff it adds is OK and makes the game better - doesn't detract from the experience in any conceivable manner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom