Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

this looks AWESOME

Caveman

Scholar
HoS_11_14.jpg

I want it now

Panthera

Scholar
Damn, I didn't look too closely at the counters and hoped that someone finally made an accurate PC version of Advanced Squad Leader.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
On the matrix forums I noticed too that Heroes of Stalingrad has come alive again recently, so it seems this will come out eventually. There was a time while it looked like this had been an abandoned project. Myself I don't know about the gameplay mechanics, looks like it is the boardgame, but I like the art style very much. They really seem to have some talent in that area.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
One of the last updates from markhwalker:

We are busting our butt on this. Implementing the persistent layer to the German campaign now. Basically you'll be able choose up to three units to carry from mission to mission. You'll be able to upgrade those troops (or a single tank), increasing firepower, morale, range, buying skill cards, or --in the case of the tank-- armor upgrades, increasing rate oof fire, slight movement increases, etc. Also incorperated patrol technology this week...enabling enemy squads to hunt for your forces.

Last month we put in air support and off-board artillery. This game will rock your tactical world.

Some more dev posts can be found here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1957151

Did I misread, or is there a hero named Anikan on the left in a building? So that is how he fell to the darkside..

In any case, this looks very appealing provided the AI is not total rubbish and the game is not a complete bugfest.

DraQ

Arcane
Panthera said:
DraQ said:
Exact simulation of board strategy on computer?

Seems kind of silly to me.

Have you ever played a serious wargame?
How is it relevant? What's the rationale behind simulating, to the point of rolling polygonal dice around, a table-top strategy?

The idea behind games is providing experience that would be otherwise unavailable or too risky. Playing a table-top wargame is neither.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
DraQ said:
Panthera said:
DraQ said:
Exact simulation of board strategy on computer?

Seems kind of silly to me.

Have you ever played a serious wargame?
How is it relevant? What's the rationale behind simulating, to the point of rolling polygonal dice around, a table-top strategy?

The idea behind games is providing experience that would be otherwise unavailable or too risky. Playing a table-top wargame is neither.

Russian roulette is a table-top wargame. Pretty risky.

Shoelip

Arbiter
A board game simulation... interesting... Well not really. Board games inherently have to be fairly simple to allow gameplay to continue to flow. If you're not even going to add graphics or something, what's the point?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Try some of the more interesting boardgame wargames. These things go deeper than most computer games do.

The point of computerising a boardgame has traditionally been to take all the dull mathemetics out of the hands of the player and increase the flow of a game. Considering that with mp it's often a lot easier to find opponents than in rl I can seriously see the appeal here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom