Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ToEE is fucking awesome bros

gunman

Arcane
Developer
In my Ironman game I have avoided the Balor fight, but the rest of elemental bosses were easy.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Cassidy said:
The final foe is actually easier to bring down than the Baalor Guardian. And that not counting the somewhat anticlimatic ending if:

You arrive at the chamber from behind the curtains and steal the gems from the throne.

I kind of liked the anti-climatic endings. It was maybe too little, too late in TOEE, but finding ways to deal with the final boss fight other than beating her ass down is one of the things I crave in RPGs

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Hard to believe for those resilient enough to complete Lionheart: Legacy of the crusader, but one more proof of what this game could have been, is that after maps over maps of mindless combat, the end boss can be beaten with a high skill of speech. In fact, this game has the town of Barcelona and couple of other moments where it raised at the level of Fallout, but something horrible happened during the course of development.

Cynic

Arcane
I've seen some LPs of that game on YouTube and wondered if it was any good, but lots of people say it was utter shit so I am wondering...

made

Arcane
Cynic said:
Honestly for me, this is the best cRPG engine created. The graphics are absolutely superb, the animations and spell effects are great. I don't think I could ever get sick of this engine.

The combat, well let's just say I don't mind that it is the main focal point of the game this time, I actually look forward to each battle. The combat is probably some of the best in any RPG.
The engine, quite frankly, sucks. Even after years of modding and patching it's still plagued by various issues (save corruption) and rivals modern scaleform UIs in sluggishness.

The pretty gfx and tactical combat, I'm sure, could be realized in a less buggy engine just the same.

Murk

Arcane
Quite frankly, I'd pay 5 bucks for just the beginning half of the game. The rest is useless, but that part is fun enough -- and the game is so cheap now.

Way too late now but on the topic of the Hill Giant -- the bar was never strong enough to kill it, I usually used Tasha's Hideous Laughter which took it out easy enough. Or if you have a bard, then fascinate that fucker.

UserNamer

Cipher
I have read the whole thread and I want to say a few things regarding a possible successor to toee. I think that they shouldn't focus as much on story as you guys would like... the reason I say this is that they still can focus a lot on combat and reactions from enemies before trying to flesh out the story more, and there are other series who would be better off by focusing on story.

What I would like from a sequel\successor would just be more challenging combat, more tactical option and more exploration, and also more reactive enemies; like someone else suggested, having patrols actually patrolling the temple looking for you after you stir up the pot, or waiting for you at the exit if you completely lack discretion, and so on.

Another note is that when I first played this game years ago, completely ignorant of the rules, I had a lot of problems at the beginning, and that in part added a lot to the charm of the game, it really had the feeling of being a hard game to master. Sadly this time my party was less stupidly built and I wrecked stuff from the start. I still have fun with some of the fights, thanks to the co8 mod too, but sometimes is just to easy to face a challenging fight, go back to your resting spot, rest, repeat...

Cynic

Arcane
Just finished the game. Killed Zuggy the first go, was more annoying than challenging. I've not done every single NC quest, but the game had to be finished, it was sitting idle/dragging on for way too long and I was going to lose that drive I had. I rate this game, highly. If I had more time, I'd play it again right away, with a much smaller party, perhaps only 2 or 3 members and really try to role play it.

I will say, when you become quite OP'd and there isn't a great amount of plot to keep you motivated, the combat, brilliant as it is, can get repetitive. The game really shone in the lower levels, which makes perfect sense as the module was designed to be played this way. It's the case with all D&D, once you become super powerful, it always has the potential to get boring. Keeping it interesting after that takes brilliant encounter design imo.

Favourite area was the moathouse and the 4th level of the temple, the best addition as far as the NC is concerned for me was Hickory Branch. Really good fights in that one.

Stinger

Arcane
I'm thinking about playing this game now, got holidays and I want a fun dungeon crawler to play.

I've heard about something called the Circle of Eight Mod, is that just bugfixing and things, is that a must to install before I play the game or is it more like additional quests to play after I finish the main game?

Is there anything else I should add like patches and mods before I start playing the game?

Shannow

Waster of Time
AFAIK, Circle of 8 has a "fixes only" version and one with additional content. I haven't played it with the newest extra-content yet, but from past experiences I see no reason not to take the extra content. (In b4 Aunthairy: "It has Cloud's sword in it. Avoid it like the plague.")
Should all be explained in depth on the site.

I'd avoid using a party with a paladin.

That's it, all out of suggestions ;)

Ravenscraw

Barely Literate
I found a couple of orcs in the temple, asked them to join me and they've done pretty well. Tuelk and Pintark. One thing, don't let Tuelk die and then talk to Pintark, even if you've raised him from the dead, Pintark gets all sad that his bro died and will leave the party saying "Me no go no where now" even if Tuelk is still alive and in your party! Also, if you ask them to leave at any point...well I couldn't get them to re join. Also, I just stumbled on the tower battle and even though I was pretty damn high level (7th average) it was still heaps of fun.
If dismissed, Pintark and Tuelk return to the cell they were found in. They can then be recruited again. They do quite well levelled-up. They're evil supposedly but seem honorable, and when you talk to Pintark he reveals a bit about why he's as he is now, which is kinda sad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom