Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sigard

Not Excidium

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Why do you want to take a great tactics game, that you’ve clearly never played before, and mod away all the difficulty by doubling the leveling cap?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
1. Orginal game has 10 lvl cap, i will be playing with co8 -> 20 lvl cap
How late in vanilla game you will hit 10 lvl cap assuming party of 4?

2. Which is more viable in Standard version of co8: party of 4 or party of 8?
I presume party of 8 will not even hit 10 lvl at the end of game?

3. Is party with no melee viable? let's say sorceress + druid + cleric + thief
In my recent playthrough of standard ToEE, I created a party of 5 characters, had at least 1 NPC party member at nearly all times with 3 NPC party members late in the game, and all my PCs reached level 10 prior to the final combat. The original module was intended as a quick way for a new party to rise to at least level 8, and in the computer adaptation a 10th level paladin with a good weapon and high strength can solo the final boss (excluding the summoned monsters), so there shouldn't be any need for a higher level cap, which is inimical to the adventure module's design.

4e0J2YJ.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
if you were really excidium you wouldn't slink away from people crapping on your post like this, you'd be spitting fire.

rojay

Scholar
You will hit lvl 10 mid-game. You should play with as many characters as you want, but 4 is viable and you could make do without melee characters. I wouldn't, but you be you.

Beans00

Augur
1. With 4 the whole game? Halfway through the temple maybe?

3. As long as your cleric and druid can tank you're probably good.

Never played c08

Darth Canoli

Arcane
3. Is party with no melee viable? let's say sorceress + druid + cleric + thief

Without NPC, it'll be hard as hell or just a spam rest fest and a combat slog with summons everywhere to tank, there's no way to make it work otherwise except if you cheat character attributes and spend hours grinding random encounters.

And that's without the Co8 late game bullshit.

So i don't recommend it, 2 good tanks is the minimum viable/playable.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Just recruit Elmo? (the drunkard from Hommlet)
Or the Blacksmith from the second city.

Or Oolghrist
(Temple lvl 2, very high intimidation skill)
Or the Hill Giant
(From lvl 4, disturbance quest from Hedrak)
Or the vampire if you don't plan of leaving the Temple at all.
(from level 3?)

By the way, it's a real shame there is no merchant inside the temple.

Max Damage

Savant
Out of your 4, only sorceress will suck in melee. Druid is decent/good in melee, rogue and especially cleric are great. That said, I almost never build up my druids for melee since I prefer their spells. Clerics have awesome buffs and domain powers to be the best at melee, rogues come in close/beyond with sneak attacks. You can also get Elmo (very strong fighter) for 200 gold in first village. IMO you need at least 1 melee guy + pet to secure your backline, not to mention that with improved trip attacks, power attacking and cleaves you won't need to cast as many spells, and melee backed by buffs and debuffs is very strong.

curds

Magister
Didn't think it was worth starting a new thread for this question:

In ToEE, is there a way to NOT use all charges of a spell you cast? Like say you can cast 4 magic missiles, but only want to cast 3?

My problem is that whenever I try to haste my party, I must select 6 targets for the spell to be cast, but I only have a 5-man party. Does this mean I HAVE to haste one of my enemies, too? Don't remember that being a thing last time I played this game.

Playing GOG version without Co8 or Temple+ if that's relevant.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think you can press spacebar to cast the spell only on the targets you have already selected. At least for spells where you can select "up to" a certain number of targets.

curds

Magister
I think you can press spacebar to cast the spell only on the targets you have already selected. At least for spells where you can select "up to" a certain number of targets.
Thanks mate, I'll try that next time I'm in the Temple.

My suggestion. Play first without mod.
What do you mean? I think you misread my post, I am playing without mods. Or are you answering the OP?

curds

Magister
Man, Hedrack is fucking easy but the wizard in that encounter with spell resist and large HP can fuck himself.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Playing GOG version without Co8 or Temple+ if that's relevant.

There's no reason to play without Temple+, see it as a monocled DC's edition.
And then try Co8 on a replay, there's some interesting features hidden in an ocean of autism.

Man, Hedrack is fucking easy but the wizard in that encounter with spell resist and large HP can fuck himself.

What about Iuz?
Or did you kill Hedrack too fast? Don't do that, let him squeal.

curds

Magister
There's no reason to play without Temple+, see it as a monocled DC's edition.
For me there is, T+ causes my PC to make a strange whining noise which I haven't been able to find a solution for. Probably harmless, but it's annoying.

What about Iuz?
Or did you kill Hedrack too fast? Don't do that, let him squeal.
Tried two times with Iuz in the fray, both times he sneak-attack one-shotted a few party members. Third time I had my fighter trip Hedrack and fucked him up with AoO's before he could call on his god.

As for that wizard, in the end I cast suggestion on both the ettins and turned them on him, piece of cake after that.

Holy shit, what a great game, btw. Played 8 hours straight today, haven't been hooked on a game like this for ages.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
For me there is, T+ causes my PC to make a strange whining noise which I haven't been able to find a solution for. Probably harmless, but it's annoying.

Weird, are you playing on a Russian laptop or something?
Never heard of this but I'm guessing you don't play more recent games then?

Even AoD or Wasteland 2 would make your computer implode, let alone WL3.
Mine only squealed when I launched Disco, it's a toaster alright but not without taste, clearly, it didn't want to play that garbage.

curds

Magister
That's the weird part.

It's a decently high-end PC. Runs shit like KCD or Witcher 3 on max settings with zero hiccups.

The only thing aside from T+ that has made it make that sound is STALKER ShoC.

Very odd.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
That's the weird part.

It's a decently high-end PC. Runs shit like KCD or Witcher 3 on max settings with zero hiccups.

The only thing aside from T+ that has made it make that sound is STALKER ShoC.

Very odd.

Is it coil whine? You might want to check what your fps is at when you run the game. I've had games that don't lock fps so even if it's an old game, running at something like 2000fps puts a lot of strain.

curds

Magister
Is it coil whine? You might want to check what your fps is at when you run the game. I've had games that don't lock fps so even if it's an old game, running at something like 2000fps puts a lot of strain.
Oh shit, come to think of it, last time I tried Temple+ I asked here on the forum about the issue (and, yeah, coil whine was what I landed on at the time). Few months later someone suggested capping the FPS but by that time I had moved on to another game. And now that I'm playing ToEE again even more months later I had forgotten about that answer. Thanks a bunch for jogging my memory. Planning another playthrough with an evil party when I'm done with this one, so I'll try using Temple+ while capping the FPS when I get to that. Cheers!

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Oh shit, come to think of it, last time I tried Temple+ I asked here on the forum about the issue (and, yeah, coil whine was what I landed on at the time). Few months later someone suggested capping the FPS but by that time I had moved on to another game. And now that I'm playing ToEE again even more months later I had forgotten about that answer. Thanks a bunch for jogging my memory. Planning another playthrough with an evil party when I'm done with this one, so I'll try using Temple+ while capping the FPS when I get to that. Cheers!
You shouldn't need to start a new playthrough in order to cap the fps. Even if the game only gives you the option when you start a game, there are other ways to do it.

curds

Magister
You shouldn't need to start a new playthrough in order to cap the fps. Even if the game only gives you the option when you start a game, there are other ways to do it.
Would I need to start a new game to use Temple+, though? I'm running completely vanilla atm (aside from the patch GOG includes).

Guess it can't hurt to just backup the saves and try it, anyway

curds

Magister
Installed the latest version of Temple+ and it actually runs just fine, no whining from the PC, and I didn't cap the FPS. Idk if they changed something in an update that fixed it or whether it was something to do with my computer, but it is fine now.

e4bEe8r.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom