Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered from Aspyr - for real this time

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
https://www.tombraider.com

https://af.gog.com/en/game/tomb_raider_i_to_iii_remastered?as=1649904300

HAH! …. Really?

The first three Tomb Raider games are being remastered and they are set to arrive on February 14, 2024. Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Starring Lara Croft will not only feature updated visuals, but they will include all of the expansions and secret levels for each game.Sep 14, 2023

ASPYR & CRYSTAL DYNAMICS REVEAL TOMB RAIDER I-III REMASTERED STARRING LARA CROFT, COMING TO PC & CONSOLES FEB. 14, 2024​

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered

Playable on February 14, 2024
Offer ends on: 14/02/2024 23:59 EET
-20%29.9923.99
Lowest price in the last 30 days before discount: 29.99
Preorder now
Wishlist it

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
How is this thing allowed on Playstation? It was a major title for PS1, but that was long ago in different times...

0660b77faffd3ad062c532a85dc9aee9c3d20a94-scaled.jpg

giphy.gif

popamole.png
popamole.png
popamole.png

Classic and modern control options

For our modern controller settings, we take inspiration from the Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld era of Tomb Raider. These changes are felt mostly in the way Lara moves – the right stick has full camera control and Lara moves directionally based on camera position.

Just like our approach to the graphical presentation, the original tank-style controls are still available to players via a menu toggle.
how do they work together? What was sacrificed?
Will it be similar mess to turn based/real time switch in Fallout Tactics?

53458552409_ec74e287b4_h.jpg

bosses with a health bar
53458652805_9250ad33d9_h.jpg

source.gif

source.gif

53458367883_769409b07c_h.jpg

Semiurge

Cipher
They've released new screenshots?!

I really hope these will be good remasters. They should polish up the world object textures though, to make them look less A.I. upscaled. 'Cause they looked obviously upscaled before.

:greatjob:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The new textures are horrendous, the colors are all wrong, they obviously look like shoddy upscales, they clash with the low poly architecture.

Looks like your average HD mod. Luckily you can play with original graphics.

Semiurge

Cipher
Wirdschowerdn could you edit the thread title to reflect the fact that some remasters are coming now?

Luckily you can play with original graphics.

In that case the only reason to play these would be that this tarted-up version of the original engine runs flawlessly on modern hardware. Hopefully it will be well-optimized even for older hardware, and supported with patches for a long time. Might be too optimistic. It looks like it would run on a potato because the world geometry is still as low-poly as before, but you never know.

Semiurge

Cipher
JarlFrank The wetsuit has been published by Nintendo. High-res toes.

RxTK4dG.jpg

The lower part of the wetsuit looks like it could have a reflective shader #graphicsfaggery

And TRI home outfit.

7xm9goH.jpg

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Too pricey, not interested. Also, it looks like shit. Idk how they fuck up every remaster. I think only Starcraft came out proper.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wirdschowerdn could you edit the thread title to reflect the fact that some remasters are coming now?

In that case the only reason to play these would be that this tarted-up version of the original engine runs flawlessly on modern hardware. Hopefully it will be well-optimized even for older hardware, and supported with patches for a long time. Might be too optimistic. It looks like it would run on a potato because the world geometry is still as low-poly as before, but you never know.
Another reason to get this is that it includes all the expansions released for the three original games. They were never bundled with anything so you have to hunt them down and install them like mods these days.

This remaster is hopefully gonna open more people's eyes to the greatness of the expansion levels, which contain some of the best orginal TR level design.

Semiurge

Cipher

Another reason to get this is that it includes all the expansions released for the three original games. They were never bundled with anything so you have to hunt them down and install them like mods these days.

This remaster is hopefully gonna open more people's eyes to the greatness of the expansion levels, which contain some of the best orginal TR level design.

The expansions for I and II were bundled with the Gold releases, and some subsequent "anthology" type physical releases as well. The expansion to III, "The Lost Artifact", was originally sold separately (yes, it was never free like the others) and was ultimately bundled with the base game in some select european countries, but only in one specific "anthology" box afaik. It has never been distributed digitally through legal means, so this will be a first time to play it for many, inlcuding myself. I only played the demo which includes roughly a third of the first level.

The first two expansions were never standalone installations, they use some of the base game's assets. For I and II you could either retrofit the downloaded levels into your game installation - which isn't ideal because the expansion levels are essentially unpatched, or download patches that include them plus the fixes to those levels. There's at least two of them that do, I've used Automated Fix for both. It adds a launcher that lets you choose the expansion.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
loved the tomb raider game on my PS1, my console came bundled with Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation and I also had the strategy guide for it. Did it came bundled too? Mhh don't remember.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
My problem with (the original) Tomb Raider's graphics is twofold. The animal models were all just goofy as hell. The cougars and panthers had some weird-ass eyeshadow on the face with mostly solid colors everywhere else. They didn't look crude, they looked like they were made by someone who barely knew what an animal looked like. Then we have the textures, specifically how they're constantly misaligned and missized. The second you spot it, you will notice it's everywhere.
This is what the remaster needs to fix. New textures would be fine if they didn't look like AI upscales. The model for that item in particular looks hideous, TR1X actually did a very good job of turning this stuff into actual models. Besides this, it's going to clash with the blocks each level is made up of. I do like Lara's model though, she looks like herself for the first time since Angel of Darkness.
I'm looking forward to how much the new controls end up unintentionally making the game harder. Despite the whining about how much the controls aged in TR, they never really aged as much as they were going for something other than your typical platformer and during the period when everyone was trying to make a 3D platformer it just so happened to align with that experimentation. Making it more loose is really going to screw around with those jumps.

Melcar

Arcane
I will buy it, but for $5 MAX. My GOG copies work fine still (until the next WINE staging update decides to break shit again).

Lemming42

Arcane
The player model looks too weird. On its own it's a decent attempt at merging the look of the FMV and in-game models, but having a weird early-PS2-looking Lara amid the extremely abstract and jagged environments is just bizarre.

And yeah, the textures look like really dreadful AI upscales, using terrible tech like ESRGAN that nobody even uses anymore.

The new control scheme sounds like the most interesting thing here, I wonder how that'll alter the gameplay. Like, will your turning speed be enormously increased if you play with the new scheme enabled?

deuxhero

Arcane
I think the problem is Croft's face, primarily the vacant stare and the lips. Her proportions are too human and polycount too high for such a cartoony head. I suppose, like the body, it's kinda forced on the devs to keep original animations (etc.)

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I think the problem is Croft's face, primarily the vacant stare and the lips. Her proportions are too human for such a cartoony head.
ms. croft's face looks fine I think. they're not going for ultra realistic so it matches the stiff looking arms. It's like a facelift to the PS1 version

Semiurge

Cipher
I think the problem is Croft's face, primarily the vacant stare and the lips. Her proportions are too human and polycount too high for such a cartoony head. I suppose, like the body, it's kinda forced on the devs to keep original animations (etc.)

The face is almost 1:1 with the old Core Design renders used in promotion, FMVs etc. It's the other human characters and their models that I'm worried about. Have they been upgraded? I hope so because the original ultra-low poly models would clash with Lara's during engine-rendered cutscenes. Even high-resolution textures wouldn't help them.

TWGFriE.jpg
sbq9ADC.png

The creature models are almost the same as before, even though the wolf in the remaster screenshot looked like a taxidermy accident. This, and the lack of screenshots of the humans makes me suspect they will reuse the original models.

Last edited:

std::namespace

sovlless
lame and shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom