Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 5 Best Diablo Clones

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Sol Invictus, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Sol Invictus Erudite

Sol Invictus
    Evening gents,

I wrote up a little piece. Goes something like:

"As everyone awaits more Diablo III goodness to trickle down Blizzard's milky teat, there are more than a few games out there to provide us our Diablo "fix". A legion of Diablo "clones" that are simply waiting to be played. While not clones in the strictest sense of the definition, these action RPGs most certainly borrow the core concepts that made the Diablo series a success. They're good games, and if you're a fan of Diablo, you'll definitely want to play them."

http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Hel ... blo-Clones

Feel free to comment, praise, bash, KingComrade, etc. the article.

^ Top  
  2. sportforredneck Cipher

sportforredneck
    How's #fallout doing Sol?

Also I've heard that Dungeon Siege II is absolutely terrible. Never played it myself, but it's what I hear. I have played the demo for Titan Quest though.

^ Top  
  3. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    No Depths of Peril? Divine Divinity below Dungeon Siege 2, Titan Quest and Sacred?

^ Top  
  4. Fat Dragon Arbiter

Fat Dragon
    Agree with Divine Divinity and Sacred, I enjoyed those games. Never got around to playing Titan Quest though I should since I own a copy and I've heard from many it's a good action romp. I've heard some pretty bad things about the Dungeon Siege games so I've never bothered with them. Never even heard of Mythos before.

^ Top  
  5. Sol Invictus Erudite

Sol Invictus
    I'd say DS 1 is absolutely terrible. DS2's actually pretty damn good.

I tried Depths of Peril, but I kind of hated it.

^ Top  
  6. Naked_Lunch Erudite

Naked_Lunch
    Dungeon Siege II is awful for the first act. Then it gets better, but then bland again. The character system devolves into a boring mess and combat, while never booted down to DS1 levels, does get old after a while.

Sacred is the best Diablo clone. Divine Divinity is too sophisticated to be merely deemed a Diablo clone. It's much more like Ultima.

^ Top  
  7. bgillisp Scholar

bgillisp
    DS2 bored me after the 1st act finished. When my save game got corrupted in the middle of act 2 I deinstalled it and have never looked back. Never played DS1

I couldn't get into Sacred though. Maybe I'll try it some other time

^ Top  
  8. Saxon1974 Prophet

Saxon1974
    I played Divine Divinity, Sacred and Dungeon Siege 2.

The only one I liked was Divine Divinity, Im surprised its below DSII.

^ Top  
  9. Sol Invictus Erudite

Sol Invictus
    I had a lot of fun in DSII multiplayer, over LAN at least. Their version of battle.net was a laggy mess.

Sacred's definitely the best Diablo clone. With the Gold patch and Underworld, it's pretty solid.

^ Top  
  10. HanoverF Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    wut, no Hellgate London?

^ Top  
  11. Sol Invictus Erudite

Sol Invictus
    Nope. It's not a very good Diablo-like game.

^ Top  
  12. Wysardry Augur Patron

Wysardry
    I kind of like Dungeon Runners myself. It's not exactly a Diablo clone - more of a spoof of MMORPGs in general - but the gameplay is close.

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I quite enjoyed Titan Quest and Immortal Throne actually. I mean, it is more of the same you get with Diablo, of course, but I found it good for a single playthrough to visit all the locales. Especially liked the journey through Hades. Haven't got around to actually buying Sacred yet but it's somewhere on my list.

^ Top  
  14. SimpleComplexity Arbiter

SimpleComplexity
    Titan Quest isn`t bad but it lacks depth. I really liked the setting at the beginning but after seeing pillar after pillar after pillar it got old real fast. At least they got the camera right and the grass moves when you walk over it(gladiator-immershion). I´d prefer some custom made animations instead of ragdoll physics when i kill monster after monster. It felt like yet another ricebag falling down in China and i don`t care.

^ Top  
  15. Shagnak Shagadelic

Shagnak
    ^ Top  
  16. Sol Invictus Erudite

Sol Invictus
    Yeah, that was a beef I had with it. With Sacred, you've got custom death animations, ragdoll effects (monsters can go flying), and even dismemberment. So there's a lot of variety.

I'd be happy if Sacred 2 or some other game without the resources of Blizzard decide to use Natural Motion's Euphoria engine for character death animations. GTA IV used it, and it looked pretty good. You've basically got ragdolls, dismemberment and natural movement instead of regular custom animations.

^ Top  
  17. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    I guess DD would score lower on the list as it isn't strictly a Diablo clone, yet DoP is still the next best thing to Diablo with all the random quests and events

^ Top  
  18. PennyAnte Liturgist

PennyAnte
    They were right on about Titan Quest's pros and cons - I 've been playing that a lot lately.

I got bored quickly with Sacred though, and annoyed with the combo system. (I wanted to do things like stack all my buff spells into one combo for convenience's sake, but the cooldown went through the roof ... overall various nitpicks like that made it just not quite work for me).

I'll probably check out Sacred 2 if the reviews are good.

^ Top  
  19. Circuitbreaker Liturgist

Circuitbreaker
    I miss "Darkstone" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkstone) on the list. It's likely most people never heard of it, but basically it was a very good Diablo-clone released sometime after Diablo1, that had full 3D with pan/zoom, nice atmosphere, some non-cliche quests and ofcourse some typical quirks as it was developed by some french guys.

^ Top  
  20. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    I've never met a person who had played Darkstone and didn't like it, but I really can't understand why that is. Apart from a few interesting design choices, it played out pretty much like a boring day at the office, only by office I mean killing skeletons for hours on end with little to show for it.

^ Top  
  21. Seldon Educated

Seldon
    Or Nox which is far better than Diablo.

^ Top  
  22. Sir_Brennus Scholar

Sir_Brennus
    The list in the article is okay except for Mythos which is a joke.

The article is *very flawed* though, because he doesn't get his facts straight:

A diablo clone features:

- solo character only (that excludes DS2 from the list, as it does with Darkstone)
    - action heavy - non pausable combat (goodbye to DS2, again)
    - no long winding dialogs with choice & consequence (say good night, Divine Divnity)
    - an offline mode (thank you for playing, Mythos)

I suggest:

1. Sacred
    2. Titan Quest
    3. Blade & Sword
    4. Legend - Hand of God
    5. Chosen - The Well of Souls

The SUCKIEST-DIABLO-CLONES list is more interesting IMHO

1. Nox
    2. Fate
    3. Avencast
    4. Broken Land
    5. Corum II: Dark Lord

^ Top  
  23. PennyAnte Liturgist

PennyAnte
    What brings D2 down in the end IMO is that no one character can smoothly solo all areas in a playthrough because of the situation with monster immunities at Hell difficulty (well maybe a Frenzy barb with socketed phase blades with elemental damage on a switch), so you are stuck making characters that only can run a few maps in any given series of maps.

Titan Quest, OTOH, has skills that reduce monster resistances so your builds can stay viable, even though highly resistant monsters still pose more of a challenge.

^ Top  
  24. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    So you liked "Chosen"? I liked the premise and the setting but the abundance of similar enemies finally proved too boring for me, I think around some castle with a demon inside. I suppose I wasn't even quarter-way through. How far did you get? Was it better later on?

I enjoyed Space Hack by the same guys, though. Nice atmosphere. Boring as hell after a few hours, but likable in small doses.

^ Top  
  25. Grandpa Gamer Scholar

Grandpa Gamer
    Titan Quest is a very fine game. I've spent far too much time playing it, but I keep coming back, trying new character builds. And I absolutely love the design and the engine. It would have been my first choice of graphics engine for Fallout 3...

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.