Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #47: Thomas Beekers on Alpha Progress, Adam Heine on Party Death

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
This is a non-filler RPG with just 12-15 major battles in the entire game. Once you've won a particular battle, there probably isn't going to be anything more to "power through" for quite a while.
If that's the case, then the consequences for the fettle are weak, meaning it will be easier to ignore them, which is what I meant by "power through".

If you can ignore them and play through without adjusting your behavior, then they aren't really consequences in the C and C sense.

Basically, this is something quite a few modern rpgs have tried to do and I have yet to see it create that interesting failure devs seem to be looking for. I just don't think there's much space between ignorable and reload worthy unless you are creating new content.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you can ignore them and play through without adjusting your behavior, then they aren't really consequences in the C and C sense.

Obviously, the consequence is that you'll have to do some sleeping/healing in the town/questing segment following the Crisis if you want to arrive fully healed to the next Crisis hours later. (I'm assuming it will often be possible for an efficient player to reach the next Crisis in the game without actually having rested.)

Is that a "real" consequence? Sleeping is supposed to have tangible scripted consequences in this game (perhaps not always negative). And since you might do it hours later, it might be like how you probably won't save-scum the kind of delayed consequence C&C seen in the Witcher.

We'll see, I guess.

Last edited:

John Yossarian

Magister
Make fights and other challenges hard enough where it doesn't matter how much you savescum, you're going to lose somebody. If the gameplay actually depends on party composition, that would also guarantee interesting failures (how do you deal with this situation when you dont have a healer,etc).

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Obviously, the consequence is that you'll want to do some sleeping/healing in the town/questing segment following the Crisis so you can arrive fully healed to the next Crisis hours later. (I'm assuming it will often be possible for an efficient player to reach the next Crisis in the game without actually having rested.)
I think their intentions are grander than that though. Why make a mechanic just to encourage resting?

Having to rest (or rest extra times) is barely a consequence, unless the tradeoffs are significant. If they are significant (i.e., you miss out on content by resting), the vast majority of players well just reload the same as with death.

ETA, saw your edit. Delayed C&C might do it. It would at least tie it to content, making it something worth seeing

Last edited:

AngryKobold

Arcane

Finally a reasonable view. There's only one kind of real consequences in game. The consequences that affect the gameplay. Thus making the game, by its regular rules, less or more annoying, harder or easier.

All other results of player's actions are nothing but useless trickery. Just see what's the current goal for moron mammals to aspire to. SLIGHTLY CHANGED dialogue in one scene. A MOVIE that will play or not. DIFFERENT SLIDESHOW in the end sequence. Bullshit, all of this.

Wanna make player weep, don't show him death scenes of NPCs he knew for five minutes. Take away something of his precious equipment instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom