Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment News Roundup: Brian Fargo interview, First Castoff statuette, Mark Morgan music

Lancehead

Liturgist
Colin, regarding romances, is romance going to be a major theme in the game or will it be "optional" content much like in BioWare games?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Colin, regarding romances, is romance going to be a major theme in the game or will it be "optional" content much like in BioWare games?
I bet I can answer that.
It's going to be a subtle, laid back kind of thing that's just part of a character / the atmosphere of the world. Romance won't be included with an NPC as a romance for its own sake; rather: if it is deemed at all appropriate for the mood and a character's concept it will be an organic result of their interaction with the PC.

Bioware no, MCA yo.

I request tormented same-sex tension between the PC and an NPC that is never ever mentioned or brought up in-game, merely foreshadowed in a manner so subtle that those who don't look for this thing will never notice. Wow me.

Lancehead

Liturgist
That (part of character concept) could work, but I'd like to see romance (not the sullied version of the word) as a theme. The big problem with BioWare romances, for the most part, is that they are strictly optional. They even point to that fact to the critics. Explicitly designing romances to be not relevant to any themes or plot of the game results in romance-for-romance-sake and/or wish fulfillment fantasies. If you tie them with the main themes of the game, then they stop being merely romances.

Considering "Abandonment" is a pillar of TToN, building a romance theme on it could be interesting.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
We are in accord; romance is fine as long as it is part of a theme, not something tacked on. It can only ever be an expression of a character, not some writer's idea of fanfiction or a company's strategic choice to enable their fans' wish fulfillment. It has to be organic and part of the artistic whole, and every part of it must be in harmony with the theme, mood and core of the game.

Else there'll be Codex hatred the likes you've never witnessed.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I'll miss my harlots.

2-pst010harlot.jpg

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
"Billion years of gender equality."

But what else, my good man? A setting so alien and advanced, of course our ideals would become the status quo in anything but the most dystopian of fantasies!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
young feargus looks exactly like old feargus

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom