Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

hiver

Perhaps. So far, it seems to be a sort of a physical trait. Connected to your Might, Speed or Intellect attributes (which are the only attributes in the game, imagine that) and ... regenerating.

hiver

ive never heard of any.

Or skills.
There are focuses... and i think those will play as skills (i guess) but... thats about as much as i know about it.

-edit-

attributes are called descriptors. so you choose that, your class (type) and a focus.
.... i think they upgraded the system so you will be able to choose one more focus... or have a "sub focus"... or something.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OK, I've got a link for Numenera: Player's Guide in my mail yesterday. So my question would be: is the campaign guide supposed to come later or am I missing something (before you ask, it was a part of my tier)? Brother None

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
OK, I've got a link for Numenera: Player's Guide in my mail yesterday. So my question would be: is the campaign guide supposed to come later or am I missing something (before you ask, it was a part of my tier)? Brother None

The corebook was mailed out first. If you're eligible for the digital corebook (so the 125/130 or 350 digital tiers) and you got your player's guide but not the corebook, something might've gone wrong. Check this update for instructions.

EDIT: oh, but if by campaign guide you mean the sourcebook then no, that's not out yet.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...t-put-in-annoying-mechanics-because-it-sounds

Do not put in annoying mechanics because it sounds interesting in theory, but suck in actual play for must of us.

It was this thread https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...uggestions/4226215-rechargeable-one-use-items

That prompted this. Mreed mentioned that he thinks some devs mentioned that some of the one shot consumables will have a shelf life that will disappear if not used in your inventory. This is to prevent hording items and force them to be used. Honestly, I hope this is just unfounded rumor because this is a horrible idea. Your basically putting a TIME LIMIT that FORCES people to RUSH through the game and use their temporary item or sell it or it magically goes bad. All that effort to collect stuff? Down the drain.

Ok, I see this a lot. People play games a certain way and some people feel they are playing it wrong or cheating some how because they do not play it THEIR way. So devs are starting to put artificial restrictions(annoyances) in the game to force them to play a way that is often annoying and not fun. This also includes "features" that seem good in theory, but sucks bad when implemented.

Here is a list. Some are debatable, some only the most hardcore people will defend.

Annoyances:
Mandatory eating/hunger - There is a reason its rarely been put in, it is a horrible design and only the most extreme gamer really wants it.

Weapon/Armour degradation - few people like this. A few games implemented it as a way to force people to spend money on upkeep. I personally cannot think of any game this was "fun" and when project eternity tried to implement it and mentioned it in an update. The backlash was fierce and they dropped it.

Degrading items in inventory - If people hated armour/wepon degradation, I really doubt they will like their items wearing out just sitting in their inventory.

Time limits - this is the SECOND HIGHEST request feature to be request to NOT to be in the game here: https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...uggestions/3753667-no-time-limit-on-the-game- . This is a debatable one. Some like it, but many like me hate it and thinks it takes away from the fun of the game. Sadly, the lawyer speak (We will not have time limits, just pressure mechanics..*wink*..*wink*..) in the reply sadly seems to heavily imply it will be in.

Checkpoints/limited saves/save points/preventative save scumming..etc. Ok, this one has me scratching my head. The old games were great because you could save anywhere/anywhen usually. Sure you could save in front of a fight/important scene and try a different path than the one they choose. Some view this as 'cheating'. I could understand why someone would care in a multiplayer game, but in a singleplayer game? Who cares how other people play? I just like saving the game whenever/wherever I like because I have a busy scheduled and don't have time to find the save point/checkpoint. I definitely do not want to have to cut off the game in the middle of something and have to replay the WHOLE area again from the last save point (looking at you shadowrun returns!). As for saving in front of an important event. Again, so what, its a SINGLEPLAYER game, what someone does with their game does not affect anybody else.

Mandatory sleeping - this is debatable. Often the only way to heal cheaply in the game. I just do not like how it interrupts the flow. It is not bad if you can rest anywhere, the problem arises when you have to go ALL THE WAY BACK to a rest area/inn to heal after a battle because its the only areas you can rest (at least safely). A lot of people do not like characters to regenerate health, but I will take it over mandatory sleeping any day.

I am sure there are more, but those are the ones that stick out. I think nobody would have a problem if these were in, but can be turned on and off in the settings so people can play like they want. Something like the ironman mode in Xcom EU.

:flamesaw:

hiver

hey, you found another shitty inconsequential post to undeservedly popularize. great.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
RPS: Yeah. But on a project like Hunted: Demon’s Forge, I imagine writing wasn’t as valued.

Fargo: Well, lots of things were undervalued on that one. [laughter] That’s not a good example, because I didn’t have control of the process.

Interesting. Fargo dodging responsibility or publisher being retarded?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPS: Yeah. But on a project like Hunted: Demon’s Forge, I imagine writing wasn’t as valued.

Fargo: Well, lots of things were undervalued on that one. [laughter] That’s not a good example, because I didn’t have control of the process.

Interesting. Fargo dodging responsibility or publisher being retarded?

All I know is that at inXile, Hunted is The Project We Don't Talk About.

Bethesda/Zenimax was the publisher.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

That interviewers mini breakdown about the future was so unnecessary.

So you can't attack people anywhere? I prefer they let you and just beat you down when you try in a stupid place, but whatever. I was happy with the answer to the timing conversations question, that does not sound fun. Nothing really new that I noticed.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
When the companions and companion relationships to the PC are explained, is anyone else getting KoTOR2 vibes?

Rake

Arcane
When the companions and companion relationships to the PC are explained, is anyone else getting KoTOR2 vibes?
Yes, but KotOR2 itself had many PS:T vibes so it's kind of the same thing. PS:T, KOTOR2, and MOTB all followed more or less the same formula and had the same strenghs

Yes, but KotOR2 itself had many PS:T vibes so it's kind of the same thing. PS:T, KOTOR2, and MOTB all followed more or less the same formula and had the same strenghs
I guess I have to play Kotor 2 then, if its writing is anywhere comparable to MotB or PST.

I avoided KOTOR & its sequel cause I fucking hate Star Wars. The best weapons in the future, in a galaxy far away are fucking tubelights? And "the force". Totally not magic.

tuluse

Arcane
KoTOR2 companion interaction seemed more complex to me. Like always being nice wasn't necessarily the best course of action.

(also, I've yet to get very far in MotB, NWN2 engine is just no fun to play :oops:)

tuluse

Arcane
I guess I have to play Kotor 2 then, if its writing is anywhere comparable to MotB or PST.

I avoided KOTOR & its sequel cause I fucking hate Star Wars. The best weapons in the future, in a galaxy far away are fucking tubelights? And "the force". Totally not magic.
Yes the Force is magic, no one has claimed otherwise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fantasy

As far as magic systems go, it's one of the most interesting.

dunno lah

Arcane

Don't forget the TSLRCM.

Yes the Force is magic, no one has claimed otherwise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fantasy

Yeah, if you treat force as magic, its kinda unique but not that intriguing, and I hate the binary dark/light stuff. I am more into Cyberpunk and Hard Sci-fi. So this could easily be a personal bias.

Although, i would argue that Mistborn has a far more interesting magic system, along with master of the five magics

Don't forget the TSLRCM.

OK, will start a playthrough with it after DC and U7 are finished (hoping for a sale in the meantime).

Last edited:

NotTale

Learned
It's probably one of the least consistent systems of magic. In the movies, it's some telekinesis, limited ESP, and lighting from showoffs. In the EU, it's whatever makes the villain of the day look super awesome.

We're probably getting on a tangent here, but still I think that's what makes it one of the least interesting "systems." Though it's that reason is kind of why KOTOR 2 ended up working. Because they were free to make the force do whatever they wanted to serve the plot and they gave it some rules of their own.

tuluse

Arcane
The EU is retarded, so I ignore it as much as possible.

Let me rephrase, as a mechanical system, the Force is shit. As an idea for the basis of a philosophy it's pretty damn good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom